Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,004

2 members and 3,002 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Help with feeding, please

Hi,

I got my first two blood pythons late Christmas week. One is doing fantastic, the other still will not eat. She was only 105 grams when I got her, but the breeder said she was eating regularly. They were both put immediately in QT, with paper substrate, and I left them alone. The one ate 4 days later, and has eaten regularly but my girl has not eaten. I am worried because she is small, and I've read they have great food response (as the other does!). I'm trying to figure out what I am doing wrong. She initially had a hide, but never used it so I took it out and I did put substrate in for her (after seeing no sign of mites). Her and the other are both in my closet, in 6 qt tubs [in a rack], with an ambient of 82. I only crack her tub each morning to make sure there is no pee / she is ok. I do not handle, except if I have to clean. This past week she has been sitting in her water bowl, which I know can be normal, but I am concerned she is doing it for security? I'm not honestly sure how to make her feel more secure, though. I keep the lights off except when cleaning, and there's almost no foot traffic. She shows NO interest in food at all. I've been offering live rat pups, which is what I was told she was eating. My humidity errs on being a little high [I live in the south, winter doesn't exist, and even when it does, it just involves cold rain] - around 75-80%. I can't think of any other relevant information.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Hi Yoshi,
    Congratulations on your new friends. Your temps and humidity sound great other than you could maybe bump the hot spot up to 83 - 84 degrees and try to keep the cool side down between 75 - 79 degrees. What are you using for heat? Are you using a thermostat? It's a little strange that she would refuse a live meal...