Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,958

1 members and 1,957 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Possible overheating?

Hi everyone,

I'm feeling quite anxious. Basically, I had set up a new 4ft viv for my bp (it will be my boa's when he grows into it).
    I put a 150watt ceramic bulb in, and so adjusted the thermostat accordingly. I noticed, what with the bulb being more powerful than my usual 100watt ones, that it would fluctuate 3-4 degrees when it was being turned on and off by the stat (I do not have a pulsestat, which I hear is alot better for bulbs).
    The basking spot would go up to 33 degrees celsius, but because I am always paranoid when I put my snake in a new viv, I also put a thermometer inside his plastic hide which was only showing 24-25 degrees.. Well, being that it was that cool, I thought that it was fine.

He seemed active, and explored his viv.. But about an hour ago when I took him out, he seems a little different. Though he is still active, and his tongue is flicking, he does seem slightly slower. Not so much that my friends/family would notice, but I notice it. He seems slightly confused at times about which direction to take etc.
    Silly as it sounds, but I had a nap earlier, and I dreamed that he had a stroke - half of his face drooped as it does in humans. I thought this was my subconscious just reflecting my paranoia/concerns, and just saw it as that. (this was before it all happened)

I am upset, because there is definitely a difference in him. I'm terrified that I've caused some brain damage or something. I thought I'd offer him a rat, just to see what he would do, and I was very pleased to see his head pop out in a normal feeding response. He has now eaten the rat. I just wanted a sign that he will be okay.

What with the new bulb, it did take a bit of messing about to set it up. I thought I was doing the right thing. Please, has anybody with more experience seen this happen with their snake as a possible result of overheating, AND did they return to normal? I just want some hope. I feel really worried that I have harmed him.
    Last edited by FractalVision; 01-16-2019 at 05:48 PM.

Thanks
    Just to update, I took Popo to the exotic vet this morning. Last night, I thought I could see a slight horizontal line on his head, and this made me think he had burned it. Well, this morning I could see the slight 'frosted' look, so I gathered that the metal of the heat guard must have been way too hot, and he had touched his head to it.
    The vet checked everything, all his reflexes are good, just has a slight head tremor. He could see the frosted line on the head and agreed with me that this was the cause.
    He didn't seem too concerned with his behaviour and signs, and prescribed him anti-biotics and anti-inflammatory injections. He did the first one for me.

I will take him back for another check-up on the 31st Jan to see how he's responded to the treatment. I am only sticking to 100 watt bulbs from now on.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts
    Sounds like he'll be fine but I'm glad you got him checked out as it's really hard to tell for us here (obviously). I'm not sure how a 100 watt bulb would be much
    safer though, as they generate a lot of heat and especially on metal. Maybe the guard should be bigger? (ie. further away from the bulb) -so it's not as hot?
    Might need to re-think your set-up.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

FractalVision (01-17-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Possible overheating?

It’s why I use 25 watt in combination with heat guard and pulse stat, they generate some mega heat I’ve put my heat gun on it and a 25 watt still gets to 200-250 degrees c easy inside the the cage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jamiekerk For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-17-2019),FractalVision (01-17-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    I use 75 watt nocturnal infrared heat lamps from ZooMed (they look like spot bulbs). I hook those up to a dimmer switch. IMO with bulbs that’s the best way to go. Good luck, hope everything works out for the best.
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonny1318 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-17-2019),FractalVision (01-17-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts
    I also use bulbs (black or red) for overhead warming with dimmer controls only (rheostats) but never inside the cage, or as the sole heat source...just for
    basking spots.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

FractalVision (01-17-2019)

Thanks
    Thanks for all the tips guys. I am sticking to my usual 100 watt bulbs from now on, as they've been ideal with this size of heatguard ever since I got him.

Literally the only reason I tried 150watt was because he was going into a larger viv and I thought it might be necessary, but it clearly isn't.
    I posted mainly for support as I was so anxious about it! I adore him
    Will give him his next injection Saturday and monitor him until next checkup. Thanks again.