Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,716

4 members and 2,712 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: OMG disaster.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Re: OMG disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    May I ask who you got insured through and what entailed that process ? How much liability do you carry and how much does it cost?

I used to do these educational presentations all the time back before I moved. I had a BALL doing them, esp. at elementary schools. It is amazing how little fear the young kids had, unlike the adults at that school. And how willing to learn they were. Also their capacity to love and feel empathy to all the creatures, not just the fluffy ones.

I had the funniest questions as well. One boy once asked me what would happen if I took off my shoe, socks and held my naked foot up to the snake. I had to admit I never tried that, LOL

I always tried to teach not to fear these animals, but to respect them. Esp. outdoors.

I also enjoyed those educational presentations when our herp club gave them at the local wildlife and nature parks. Met wonderful and open minded people.

Lately I've been thinking about offering such presentations again, esp. to kids and people willing to learn. But in this sue-happy place and sue-happy times I do worry some. Even if I do not bring dangerous animals, they are still animals. One could actually bite ME and someone could claim they are forever psychologically damaged or some nonsense like that .

At a educational presentation that was given by a local wildlife preservation group one of their guys was bitten (and chewed on, lol) by their gorgeous Indigo snake. He handled it well and hardly anyone noticed since his long sleeve kind of hid the snake chewing on his wrist. He just kept on walking around and talking, LOL.

I think before I would go back into all this I would like to get insured, just in case! Sad that this is how it is nowadays, but better safe then sorry.
    If you check with the people who insure your car or house, they often have business insurance policies. Different levels and different prices. The rest of the details are privet. Do what you think you need. Mine cost less than 50 a month. Yes I know is another bill but I want to protect myself as well as share them. Is worth it for me. Now if only I can figure out a way to make money doing it? LOL. Just want to have fun.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

zina10 (01-21-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    If you check with the people who insure your car or house, they often have business insurance policies. Different levels and different prices. The rest of the details are privet. Do what you think you need. Mine cost less than 50 a month. Yes I know is another bill but I want to protect myself as well as share them. Is worth it for me. Now if only I can figure out a way to make money doing it? LOL. Just want to have fun.
    I don't want to make money, I just want to have fun with it and spread awareness and education.

Going to talk to the insurance I use for home/vehicles about "umbrella" insurance. Wonder if that would protect me from frivolous lawsuits..
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-Exupネry

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Well I have only taken my Balls out together a handful of times.. (wait a min did I really say that lmao) ...anyways I think I値l stop doing that also, I sure dont need that kind of scare no matter what species.. I never bring Burms out with other snakes because I知 actually afraid of what mishap could happen.. so thanks for sharing, even after 30 years I can always use a reminder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-21-2019),Craiga 01453 (01-22-2019),Dianne (01-21-2019),e_nigma (02-07-2019),Sonny1318 (01-21-2019),zina10 (01-21-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla78 View Post
    I love retics, absolutely awesome animals. I think I will just stay with handling my balls.
    I致e only been bit twice and both times it barely required a band-aid. Since balls don稚 ever get bigger than 5 kilograms, I think I知 safe. They are mostly shy little wimps anyway.

I'm new to the snake world, but well before we decided to dive in, we discussed the sizes of snakes we'd be willing to handle in the home. We stuck with balls. I adore the giants; they're beautiful animals. I just don't want the risks that come with being an owner/caregiver.

Speaking of shy wimps....my new girl hides when I turn a light on.
    1.0 Pastel Yellowbelly BP - Orion (2018)
    0.1 Coral Glow BP - Pax (2018)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mandymg86 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-07-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    I don't want to make money, I just want to have fun with it and spread awareness and education.

Going to talk to the insurance I use for home/vehicles about "umbrella" insurance. Wonder if that would protect me from frivolous lawsuits..
    I also don't let people know that I have the insurance incase someone tries to make a claim and it not a true incident. I also love having a location that is under video surveillance as well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CALM Pythons View Post
    Well I have only taken my Balls out together a handful of times.. (wait a min did I really say that lmao) ...anyways I think I値l stop doing that also, I sure dont need that kind of scare no matter what species.. I never bring Burms out with other snakes because I知 actually afraid of what mishap could happen.. so thanks for sharing, even after 30 years I can always use a reminder

Reading here has prevented me from making many mistakes by reading what has happened to others. Will always share.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-07-2019),CALM Pythons (02-07-2019)

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789