Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,749

0 members and 2,749 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: New to this forum, Got a BEL, Shed question

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    Very cute new addition...congratulations and welcome!

The only thing I would change on your setup is to drop the uth to no more than 90F. They will burrow down to the heat source, so you want to be sure that it is no more than the high end of their range. If it’s too warm they often won’t use the warm end, prefering to stay too cool than uncomfortably warm. You also don’t want the uth to get hot enough to burn them, so kudos for having everything on a good thermostat.
    Thanks! Hear me out, i had it set to 91 at first for the UTH. When i first brought him home he kept climbing into the fake vines to get closer to the CHE, or so that’s what my thought was. So i turned up his UTH to 93ish and he started going into his warm hide more.

Should i still try turning it down and see how it goes? I have the Herpstat probe hot glued to the inside of the tank, directly over the heat pad. I know there is a lot of controversy over if the probe should go on the inside or outside of the tank, but this made the most sense to me. I still check the temps every so often and check the highs and lows according to the Herpstat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Keep a close eye on that hot glue. It sucks at adhering to glass and WILL come loose. Underneath is optimal, but you know that already.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ryknoll3 View Post
    Keep a close eye on that hot glue. It sucks at adhering to glass and WILL come loose. Underneath is optimal, but you know that already.
    Gotcha. Next time i do a deep clean i’ll use silicone instead.

Or maybe i’ll switch to underneath.

Thanks
    How about that, my name is Jason and I have a BEL also!

I see you've already got lots of great advice, but I'll chime in that the only downside to having a BEL is that it is so hard to tell when the shed is coming. My others all get that dull look to them even before the eyes go cloudy, which give plenty of warning that its coming. With a BEL, if you don't catch the eyes cloud, you may not even know they're going into shed. And the eyes clear up pretty quick so if you don't see her for two days (which is very possible with a BP) you won't even know.

You don't happen to know the genetics do you? My BEL is a russo/mojave. Perhaps one day she'll mate with my male clown, but that won't be for years and years, if ever.
    \m/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JRLongton View Post
    How about that, my name is Jason and I have a BEL also!

I see you've already got lots of great advice, but I'll chime in that the only downside to having a BEL is that it is so hard to tell when the shed is coming. My others all get that dull look to them even before the eyes go cloudy, which give plenty of warning that its coming. With a BEL, if you don't catch the eyes cloud, you may not even know they're going into shed. And the eyes clear up pretty quick so if you don't see her for two days (which is very possible with a BP) you won't even know.

You don't happen to know the genetics do you? My BEL is a russo/mojave. Perhaps one day she'll mate with my male clown, but that won't be for years and years, if ever.
    Oh how crazy!! Haha yeah the only reason i caught the cloudy eyes is he likes sticking his head out of his hide!

I’m not sure of his genetics unfortunately. Because of his patterning i’m maybe thinking he could have some spider (pin?) but i didn’t know if that could result in a BEL. Maybe after a few sheds i’ll be able to get a better idea.

Would love a pic of your Bel!!

Thanks

Oh another question, since he’s in shed should i pet a rock or something for him to rub on in his terrarium? He has a large water dish that has rocky sides, but i didn’t know if that was enough? Thanks!

Thanks

Just fixed the Herpstat probe placement. It is now secured directly to the UTH instead of inside the terrarium. I have it set to 93 so that the inside of the terrarium floor is at 90°.

I ended up using electrical tape to secure the probe to the UTH, and at 2 other points on the table and right by the terrarium, so that it won’t come loose. (no tape was used on the inside of the enclosure)

Does that sound right?? I felt bad taking Blue out in order to get the probe off of the glass, since i think he’s in shed, but i figured it’s better to fix sooner than later. I did get to take some pics of him tho! Still not even positive if he’s in shed or not. Haha

Thanks

What do y’all think? I guess i’ll know sooner or later if he’s in shed, but i’m impatient. Haha

9. The Following User Says Thank You to gdawgs56 For This Useful Post:

Dianne (01-16-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

I think he’s adorable, but have no clue if he’s in shed....can’t tell with my BEL Button either.

Regarding the uth, I see that you moved the probe and you answered the next question I was going to ask, what is thermostat versus actual temp. Sounds like you’re spot on. If he still acts cold by trying to get to other heat sources, you can bump the uth up a degree or two, but just do so with caution.
    Other Snakes:
    Hudson 1988 1.0 Colombian rainbow; Yang 2002 1.0 Corn snake; Merlin 2000 1.0 Solomon Island ground boa; Kett 2015 1.0 Diamond Jungle Jaguar carpet python; Dakota 2014 0.0.1 Children’s python

Ball pythons:
    Eli 1990 1.0 Normal; Buttercup 2015 1.0 Albino; Artemis 2015 0.1 Dragonfly; Orion 2015 1.0 Banana Pinstripe; Button 2018 1.0 Blue Eyed Lucy; Piper 2018 0.1 Piebald; Belle 2018 0.1 Lemonblast; Sabrina 2017 0.1 Mojave; Selene 2017 0.1 Banana Mojave; Loki 2018 1.0 Pastel Mystic Potion; Cuervo 2018 1.0 Banana Piebald; Claude 2017 1.0 Albino Pastel Spider; Penelope 2016 0.1 Lesser

Thanks

New to this forum, Got a BEL, Shed question

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    I think he’s adorable, but have no clue if he’s in shed....can’t tell with my BEL Button either.

Regarding the uth, I see that you moved the probe and you answered the next question I was going to ask, what is thermostat versus actual temp. Sounds like you’re spot on. If he still acts cold by trying to get to other heat sources, you can bump the uth up a degree or two, but just do so with caution.
    Thanks! He’s definitely a cutie! And yeah oh well, guess i’ll know in a few days if i was right or not about him going into shed. I’ll offer food again on Sunday or Monday most likely.

Yeah, after thinking more about the probe being inside the tank i got all worried and had to go move it. I’m having a hard time measuring the temp of the glass inside the terrarium, since it just reflects the laser and gives an inaccurate reading. Any suggestions?

Was thinking maybe laying a piece of tissue paper on the glass over the UTH, and then measuring the temp of that so i don’t get a reflection.
    Last edited by gdawgs56; 01-16-2019 at 10:46 PM.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast