Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,917

1 members and 2,916 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Re: New to this forum, Got a BEL, Shed question

Quote Originally Posted by gdawgs56 View Post
    Yeah... it’s a digital hygrometer thermometer, and i confirmed the numbers with a second hygrometer.

Is it possible he had a bad shed just cuz of being in a new environment and not 100% settled?

-Jason
    Sorry don't know.. maybe worth googling ?

I do know that mine shed perfectly after a few days of spraying .. I know they need higher than normal humidity levels though ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Sorry don't know.. maybe worth googling ?

I do know that mine shed perfectly after a few days of spraying .. I know they need higher than normal humidity levels though ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Thanks. Hopefully his next shed will be better. :/ Mainly concerned with getting him hydrated now

-Jason

Thanks

Currently have him soaking, as per the stickied thread in this forum. Looking closer, it seems as if only the belly scales have shed off. The whole upper half of his body hasn’t even started it looks like. I’m very confused, hoping it’s not like this every shed.

-Jason

Thanks

Got lots of the shed off! It seemed like he was just having a hard time gettin the shed to start. It was just stuck right on top of his head, once i got it peeling off it all came off in big pieces! Only reason it was multiple pieces was when the towel broke it. So it doesn’t seem like a typical bad shed.

Hoping it’s just he’s not experienced in shedding... or getting it to start at least. Lol, i don’t know. I’m grasping here haha

-Jason

Thanks
    If it's some reassurance, I think your snake's sheds will get better as he settles in. I remember reading this bit of wisdom from someone else on this forum (think it might have been Craig?) - the next shed starts as soon as the first one ends. Basically, how well a shed goes depends not just on the few days leading up to the shed, but on what happens with the snake the whole time in between sheds. Stressors, changes in location/environment, dietary adjustments, etc. during that period may all impact a shed. Your little guy is still relatively new, so he's got some adapting to do. You're doing exactly what you need to do right now - helping him through this shed, and keeping his current conditions as optimal and stable as possible.

Thanks

Gotcha good point! Thanks!! I always worry about my animals, just want to provide them the absolute best life possible!! So whenever something is going not so great i tend to freak and worry haha. Thanks for the reassurance. So, now the question is do i offer food again or skip a week because of the shedding fiasco?

-Jason

Thanks
    Hmm ... perhaps someone with more expertise can chime in, but my current rule of thumb is waiting 1 day after minor disturbances like just taking him out and handling him, versus 3-4 days for things that are more likely to be a bit stressful for the snake, including the soak-and-wipe process for bad sheds.

And no worries, haha, I'm a similar brand of worrywart. I've been following this thread and rooting for your little guy because my new kid is also a young BEL.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RedRabbit For This Useful Post:

gdawgs56 (01-19-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RedRabbit View Post
    Hmm ... perhaps someone with more expertise can chime in, but my current rule of thumb is waiting 1 day after minor disturbances like just taking him out and handling him, versus 3-4 days for things that are more likely to be a bit stressful for the snake, including the soak-and-wipe process for bad sheds.

And no worries, haha, I'm a similar brand of worrywart. I've been following this thread and rooting for your little guy because my new kid is also a young BEL.
    I’m planning on going to the place i got him tomorrow. Just to browse the other snakes they have. Might see what they have to say. Thanks

-Jason

Thanks

Awesome news guys!! He’s looking great today. I went to a local reptile center and spoke to a guy that i know who has a lot of experience with snakes He suggested still offering food today even though Blue might’ve been slightly stressed from the soak yesterday. Well, i’m glad i did! He took the rat! He didn’t strike when i was offering it, but i turned out his light and left the rat (pre kill) in front of his “door” to his hide that he was in. Checked on him a few hours later and the rat is gone! I’m so happy my little dude ate!

-Jason

Thanks

Blue ate again today! So happy that he’s eating 2 weeks in a row. This time he even struck and got a good wrap on it! I peeked in on him and he’s still trying to figure out which end to start at... he’s such a funny baby.

-Jason

12. The Following User Says Thank You to gdawgs56 For This Useful Post:

Shayne (01-27-2019)

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast