Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,878

1 members and 2,877 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Any recommendations for automatic or timed watering systems to keep BP’s cage humid?

Does anyone have experience with timed watering systems to keep their BP’s enclosure humid? I bought a dripper but I hate that it’s either on or off, and it’s unnecessary at night when her temps go down. I have her light on a timer and it would be nice to have a little water dumped or sprayed into the cage once or twice a day in case I forget and I’m not at home to do it. I can only find foggers online and I fear that would add way too much moisture in the air for a BP. It’s nice to add water to the substrate under the lamp so it can continuously evaporate into the air.

Shes had respiratory before, after some bad pet store advice to keep her cage dry when she had mites, so I’m anal about keeping her cage at the right humidity.
    Last edited by hannahdomin; 01-14-2019 at 10:27 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    Do you have a pvc cage or a glass tank? If a glass tank with a screen top, you can cover 95% of the top with a wet towel (not dripping wet), then cover the wet towel with foil, so that the moisture naturally comes off the towel and into the cage.

That's what I did back when I needed 70%+ humidity in a glass tank. I did it this way for about 6 months and no rust developed on the screen top either. Did not look very pretty though but had to be done lol!
    Last edited by redshepherd; 01-15-2019 at 04:23 AM.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

Lord Sorril (01-15-2019),mandymg86 (01-25-2019),MissterDog (01-15-2019),Phoenix Rising (01-15-2019),VereMyth (01-15-2019)

Thanks

Re: Any recommendations for automatic or timed watering systems to keep BP’s cage hum

I use the Evergreen Reptile humidifier with Inkbird digital humidity controller, $90 for both on Amazon. Have all glass vivarium with screen top and CHE for ambient heat, 3/4 of screen top covered. Set controller to turn on at 50% humidity, off at 60%. Works great and no constant fussing with towels, spraying substrate etc. Been using it for about 5 months. My BP has had 3 perfect sheds. With the house heat now running I have to fill the water container every 3 days or so.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NH-in-VB For This Useful Post:

Shayne (01-15-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I've never needed one. There are plenty of tricks you can use to keep humidity up and consistent. I don't even most at all unless the snakes are in shed.

What type of enclosure are you using? How are you heating the enclosure?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Re: Any recommendations for automatic or timed watering systems to keep BP’s cage hum

Something that helps me with all my snakes is that they all have large water bowls and a heat pad beneath them as well. Keeps the water warm and the tank humid. Pluss they all love to swim.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (01-23-2019),Lord Sorril (01-15-2019)

Thanks

Just this morning I was looking up humidifiers for snakes and found this. I am very interested in making it and even posted to ask what others thought but I haven't gotten a response yet. Check it out. All the parts I need to make 2 of them are less than $25 at Walmart online. Hope this helps.

https://www.cuteness.com/article/mak...nake-enclosure

Thanks

Thank you all!! It’s a glass enclosure heated by an under-tank heater 24/7, and a heat lamp 12 hours a day. I keep foil over the top but a wet towel underneath is a good idea. But a humidifier might be nice if I’m gone for a day. I just hate to ask people to check on it when I’m gone long periods of time. A bigger water bowl might be nice too. Usually I try to keep her enclosure humid but sometimes when I come home from work in the winter it reads 30-40%. Of course it’s still humid under her hides, but still.

Thanks
    Yeah, I feel you, A humidifier could work but you could also try and snag a glass terrarium from Exo-Terra(They are front Ventilated so covering 100% of the top is no biggy) This is where the Albino I got from Petco(Which was seriously mistreated) is now living.

Getting a second-hand one is not bad(Cleaning it out is the bigger problem).

Other than those options you could:

use the previously mentioned towel trick & larger water bowl.

Other options are switching the substrate out to a better humidity retaining substrate like Reptile prime is a great choice that holds humidity VERY well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    Do you have a pvc cage or a glass tank? If a glass tank with a screen top, you can cover 95% of the top with a wet towel (not dripping wet), then cover the wet towel with foil, so that the moisture naturally comes off the towel and into the cage.

That's what I did back when I needed 70%+ humidity in a glass tank. I did it this way for about 6 months and no rust developed on the screen top either. Did not look very pretty though but had to be done lol!
    I'm actually going to give this a try! Cold Southern IL winter has my humidity running lower than I'd like (40% this morning when I woke up, and we have a warm mist humidifier in the Snake Room. Glass 40gal breeder with a screen top). Thanks for the tip! Husbandry has my anxiety running high and this is an affordable solution.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts
    I bought an ultrasonic oil diffuser and I put only water in it (no oil!), and it lasts about 4 hours and humidifies the enclosure nicely for shed time in my dry climate. I got a sturdy ceramic one that is less likely to be knocked over. I run it a couple times a day during shed time. I also have the top covered. My snakes are in Exo-terras which vent from the front too, (as previously mentioned). But if you have a top-entry enclosure, then just cover like 75% of it. I used a cut up yoga mat.
    Last edited by FollowTheSun; 01-25-2019 at 12:54 PM.
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast