Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,189

2 members and 1,187 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Really need the community’s help on what new snake to get.

Quote Originally Posted by DandD View Post
    Lexan is extremely durable but it’s also pricey so plexiglass and some other non permeable materials are in the running.I do need to find a way to secure the lid to the tank but also have some plans for hinges and locks. As for the striking the glass, I’d be more concerned with the snake being hurt. This was previously a salt water aquarium. I just can’t see a boa putting more psi through a strike than the amount of water this tank held, I could be very very wrong though. The plan for heat is to buy the biggest rhp I can fit on the lid run off a thermostat. I don’t see a problem with maintaining heat or humidity. I’m 100% going to “cycle” the enclosure for an extended period before even purchasing the snake. The reason for the tank is I still feel I can stay well under the price of a pvc enclosure and still have a really nice looking tank. I’m definitely going to look into carpets for sure. The dimensions are 72 1/2x18 1/2x23 2/8 so basically 6 foot long by a foot and a half wide by almost two feet high.
    To be clear, I was much more worried about the Boa hurting itself than hurting the tank. Behira (my female BCI) bent a few teeth on the acrylic doors. Luckily, they fell out on their own and did not get infected, when she had her next meal(s).

Even with Lexan, my belief is that long-term, you are better off getting a lightweight PVC tank meant for reptiles, and you will be better off (much cheaper electric bills) and the animal will be better off with temp and humidity stability and probably more floor space with much less weight.

Also, how much money is the lexan? You are probably well on your way to that PVC tank.

However, if you choose to go this route, which is totally your prerogative, I still vote colubrid, as they are much less sensitive, in general, than a Boa, or carpet python (I have both) to humidity and temp issues, that you might still have, and most colubrids will use the space, but not miss the lack of depth. Many carpet pythons will appreciate the 2FT of height, but miss the extra 6 inches of depth this tank lacks.

Quote Originally Posted by DandD View Post
    Also forgot to mention,talking with my fiancée about her getting to help design the interior and make and paint a stand has got her kind of excited. It’s almost turned into like a project of ours so that’s going to be a fun adeventure.
    Sounds good. Nice to have everyone on board! That's a big bonus.

Keep us in the loop!
    Last edited by dakski; 01-15-2019 at 09:20 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

DandD (01-15-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    What are the dimensions of the tank? If it's too tall than long/wide for example, it would be suitable for different species (some arboreal species, maybe even lizards) than a tank that has a lot of floor space.

If it has 6 feet of floor space, I personally really want a large male cribo... hahah

Also love white lipped pythons, but I just always wanted a different species more each time I add another snake But I still want one. LOL
    Last edited by redshepherd; 01-15-2019 at 09:39 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    To be clear, I was much more worried about the Boa hurting itself than hurting the tank. Behira (my female BCI) bent a few teeth on the acrylic doors. Luckily, they fell out on their own and did not get infected, when she had her next meal(s).

Even with Lexan, my belief is that long-term, you are better off getting a lightweight PVC tank meant for reptiles, and you will be better off (much cheaper electric bills) and the animal will be better off with temp and humidity stability and probably more floor space with much less weight.

Also, how much money is the lexan? You are probably well on your way to that PVC tank.

However, if you choose to go this route, which is totally your prerogative, I still vote colubrid, as they are much less sensitive, in general, than a Boa, or carpet python (I have both) to humidity and temp issues, that you might still have, and most colubrids will use the space, but not miss the lack of depth. Many carpet pythons will appreciate the 2FT of height, but miss the extra 6 inches of depth this tank lacks.

Sounds good. Nice to have everyone on board! That's a big bonus.

Keep us in the loop!
    man you guys make such good points on everything it’s getting hard for me to justify this tank. Either way I’m getting the tank 25 bucks now and 100 if I sell it later at a yard sale if I don’t use it. Maybe even a trade on Craigslist. But if I go with some colubrids a lot of the humidity and heat issues diminish. Are corn snakes communal like garter I kno king snakes would be out. A community tank may be cool. I know that no one has brought it up but believe me the animal is the most important thing for me. if I can’t make it work for a species I want for a cheap price I’ll just wait till after the bankrupting wedding and buy pvc.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    What are the dimensions of the tank? If it's too tall than long/wide for example, it would be suitable for different species (smaller arboreal species, maybe even lizards) than a tank that has a lot of floor space.

If it has 6 feet of floor space, I personally really want a large male cribo... hahah

Also love white lipped pythons, but I just always wanted a different species more each time I add another snake But I still want one. LOL
    It’s six feet long by one and a half feet wide by two feet tall. Cribos are a for sure snake I will be getting down the road.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts
    Please don't do "communal corn snakes", nor any other rat snakes. They do not normally attack each other, but they're great predators & I've personally
    lost a nice big ready-to-breed female to an idiot male that thought she was lunch when I left the room. Accidents can happen...most snakes are best kept
    singly.

By the way, I actually prefer my snakes in glass tanks...but let me ask you something: how long are your arms? A tank that is 2' deep is going to be a pain
    to routinely clean all the dirty corners in, & if you fail to keep it clean, you're likely to have a sick snake. Another thing you might consider (I've not done this
    with my tanks but others reportedly have): turn the tank on it's side for a more terrestrial species. It might also be a bit easier to reach into this way, but you'll
    need some creativity to close it. You might be able to install narrow aluminum tracks & have plate glass cut to fit for sliding doors. You could put a ventilated
    panel in the middle too. Large home improvement stores sell perforated metal sheets, smooth on one side that you'd use inside where the snake might rub, &
    glass isn't very expensive to have custom-cut either. I've re-purposed furniture before & made sliding doors this way. You could also use plexi instead of glass,
    as it's lighter, but it also scratches easily. Lots of options, really.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (01-15-2019),DandD (01-16-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Please don't do "communal corn snakes", nor any other rat snakes. They do not normally attack each other, but they're great predators & I've personally
    lost a nice big ready-to-breed female to an idiot male that thought she was lunch when I left the room. Accidents can happen...most snakes are best kept
    singly.

By the way, I actually prefer my snakes in glass tanks...but let me ask you something: how long are your arms? A tank that is 2' deep is going to be a pain
    to routinely clean all the dirty corners in, & if you fail to keep it clean, you're likely to have a sick snake. Another thing you might consider (I've not done this
    with my tanks but others reportedly have): turn the tank on it's side for a more terrestrial species. It might also be a bit easier to reach into this way, but you'll
    need some creativity to close it. You might be able to install narrow aluminum tracks & have plate glass cut to fit for sliding doors. You could put a ventilated
    panel in the middle too. Large home improvement stores sell perforated metal sheets, smooth on one side that you'd use inside where the snake might rub, &
    glass isn't very expensive to have custom-cut either. I've re-purposed furniture before & made sliding doors this way. You could also use plexi instead of glass,
    as it's lighter, but it also scratches easily. Lots of options, really.
    Never thought of turning it on it’s side that’s a interesting thought.im 6,1 and going to be building the stand for it,so should be relatively easy to clean up.

Thanks
    Not trying to put a crimp in your plans for the tank but this tank is going to be vary heavy and awkward to move around. A sale or trade may make sense

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bagnew View Post
    Not trying to put a crimp in your plans for the tank but this tank is going to be vary heavy and awkward to move around. A sale or trade may make sense
    Why would I need to be moving the tank around. it’s designed to be a large part of my living room. Im also a rather large male with plenty of friends who will do anything for free beer.
    Last edited by DandD; 01-16-2019 at 09:03 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

I’ve used large tanks in the past for my boas with screen lids and heavy duty clips adding plexi covers to hold in heat/humidity. Depending on how handy you are, you can build your stand so that it has support at the corners to create a frame around the tank. With that frame, you could create a “lid” with hinges and secure latches. The lid could be plexi in a frame, or solid wood so you could mount your rhp, lights, etc.
    Other Snakes:
    Hudson 1988 1.0 Colombian rainbow; Yang 2002 1.0 Corn snake; Merlin 2000 1.0 Solomon Island ground boa; Kett 2015 1.0 Diamond Jungle Jaguar carpet python; Dakota 2014 0.0.1 Children’s python

Ball pythons:
    Eli 1990 1.0 Normal; Buttercup 2015 1.0 Albino; Artemis 2015 0.1 Dragonfly; Orion 2015 1.0 Banana Pinstripe; Button 2018 1.0 Blue Eyed Lucy; Piper 2018 0.1 Piebald; Belle 2018 0.1 Lemonblast; Sabrina 2017 0.1 Mojave; Selene 2017 0.1 Banana Mojave; Loki 2018 1.0 Pastel Mystic Potion; Cuervo 2018 1.0 Banana Piebald; Claude 2017 1.0 Albino Pastel Spider; Penelope 2016 0.1 Lesser

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-16-2019),DandD (01-16-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    I’ve used large tanks in the past for my boas with screen lids and heavy duty clips adding plexi covers to hold in heat/humidity. Depending on how handy you are, you can build your stand so that it has support at the corners to create a frame around the tank. With that frame, you could create a “lid” with hinges and secure latches. The lid could be plexi in a frame, or solid wood so you could mount your rhp, lights, etc.
    The frame idea is a great way to be able attach the lid with hinges thanks for that

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast