Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,911

1 members and 2,910 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Really need the community’s help on what new snake to get.

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    With a tank that size, you’ve got a great selection to choose from. Easiest are going to be your colubrids because for the most part ambient room temps and humidity will work, maybe just add a small to moderate basking area. This would comfortably house even the largest rats snakes with plenty of room for them to cruise around. They tend to be out in the open more, especially if you were to make use of the verticle space with branches. This would also work for carpet pythons with a bit of tweaking to retain more humidity, possibly a wood panel or plexiglass cover.

I haven’t kept any of the king snakes, so I’m not familiar with their habits. That said, I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t work for them as well. The MBK are awesome looking snakes. Redtail boas (common or true redtail localities) would also work with some tweaking for humidity, though depending on the height might make taking heavy bodied snakes out a chore.
    This tank will have a full custom lexan lid with a RHP and led strips and possibly some misters of some sort so humidity will be controlled

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    King snakes are fun to keep too, but keep in mind they're more terrestrial, so the height of the cage won't be used much. I like MBK's (Mexican Black kings)
    the best but whatever kind of snake you ultimately choose should be what appeals to YOU the most.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

DandD (01-15-2019)

Thanks
    A tank, eh? If your going to have open sides like that, I'd go with something that isn't shy and displays really well. That rules BPs right out, but most colubrids would be a great option.

Then again the tank is 6 feet you say? That's a lot of room for the typical colubrid.

And your going to have it outfit with a special lid? Then you need to get something exotic! People are going to come over and see this! You can't say, "oh yeah this is my common-kind-of-snake-that-you-might-find-in-the-backyard".

Were it myself, I'd be looking at a Boa, carpet, but leaning towards a woma python. I've never kept one but from what I understand they're active, even tempered, and exotic. How many house guests have ever heard of a woma?

But don't listen to me. Do what you want and follow your own bliss. $25 is a total steal for that tank, nice find!
    \m/

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JRLongton For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-15-2019),DandD (01-15-2019),Lord Sorril (01-15-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    If it were me, I'd be looking at carpets. They'd use every inch of that enclosure and look damn good doing it. Lots of locality and morph options to suit your tastes.

Their husbandry requirements wouldn't be difficult to achieve in that tank either.

Plus carpets handle really well and are typically very reliable eaters.
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 01-15-2019 at 11:10 AM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-15-2019),dakski (01-15-2019),DandD (01-15-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

My two cents on Boas and then on what snake to get for that tank.

I am a big Boa advocate. I have a BCI and a BCC. I adore them.

However, I do not think a 125G tank is a good fit for them.

1. They are only 18 inches deep. An adult Boa really want 2FT+. Depth is important, not just square feet.

2. As mentioned, glass tanks are not ideal for humidity. Although BCI's are pretty flexible compared to BCC's, they still pretty high and consistent humidity and consistent temperatures as well.

3. Boas are freaking strong. How would you make a 125G tank escape proof?

4. My Boas are not shy, however, they love food, and my BCI strikes her acrylic doors at night when hungry. I had to put a drape up that I take down when handling and when feeding. Acrylic doors give a little and she's bent teeth. Not ideal, hence the drapes now. Glass could be bad. Now, not all boas do this, in fact, many don't. However, although small, it's another potential strike against a glass tank.

5. Going to be really expensive to heat to proper boa temps - long run - you might as well get a proper enclosure like a Boaphile or AP if you want a Boa. It will pay for itself in a year or two on heat cost savings alone.

Having said all that, if you dead set on using the 125G, I agree that a large colubrid, or even a corn or king, and giving it a lot of room, is a cool idea. They love to roam and will use all the space.

I have two corns as well and love them. They come in any color or pattern you want, are docile but energetic, eat like clockwork, and are all over the tank at night. My adult corn, Figment, is a big boy (for a corn), at 5FT, and about 650G. He uses all of his 4X2' tank, usually looking for or begging for food.

There are other larger colubrids, as mentioned, that would do well in there as well, as well as some lizard species if you are open to that idea.

Good luck, keep us in the loop, and feel free to keep asking questions or ask for clarification, etc.

EDIT: I just saw the lexan lid and humidity control thing. Not sure how would heat from above with the Lexan lid though. Lot of space to heat from below. Any info you can add here would be appreciated. I have all Boaphiles, and have avoided glass tanks for a long time for the reasons above. I would be interested in what you think about how the lid changes the dynamics. Also, how it changes the escape issues as well.
    Last edited by dakski; 01-15-2019 at 11:17 AM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (01-15-2019),DandD (01-15-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    Did you ever actually find out what the dimensions of this 125 gal tank are? It matters! All 125 tanks are not made the same, you know. I believe someone
    posted that theirs is 6' Long x 18" wide x 24" tall, but that doesn't mean yours is.

Also, how old is the tank & what has it been used for previously? Small mammals can & do chew on the silicone sealant, which can weaken the structure, and
    that much glass is already quite heavy. Be sure there is adequate support for whatever you fill it with.

No matter what was in it before, remember to do a thorough disinfection before you do anything else.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (01-15-2019),dakski (01-15-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

If you can find them? A trio of https://s1.ibtimes.com/sites/www.ibt...rter-snake.jpg would be cool to put in there. 1 male and 2 females. They made the endangered species list and need someone to breed a few. Would love to have a trio myself. Finding them? Well that is the trick.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-15-2019),Jbabycsx (01-15-2019),JRLongton (01-15-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    IMO, San Francisco garters are the most beautiful snakes in the USA. However, their protected status makes them very difficult for the average herper to get. The California red-sided garter is also beautiful and would be much easier to find. http://www.californiaherps.com/snake...nfernalis.html

I've kept garter snakes. They get used to captivity and handling and seldom musk. They do have a problem with thiaminase in frozen fish, though. It can be gotten around, but other snakes have more convenient diets. http://www.thamnophis.com/index.php?page=caresheet

I was starting to think about a Spilotes (AKA tiger rat snake). http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatre...iger-ratsnake/ But after checking that link, I think that a 125 gallon tank is too small. And the tank would also be too small for a cribo.

An eastern kingsnake would look good in that tank. So would one of the pine/bull/gopher snake group, though all are more terrestrial than the USA rat snakes. If you like the looks of the Mexican black king, a black pine snake might be a good choice. The pair I had was more mellow than the bullsnakes I've kept, and I love bullsnakes.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to paulh For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-15-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    My two cents on Boas and then on what snake to get for that tank.

I am a big Boa advocate. I have a BCI and a BCC. I adore them.

However, I do not think a 125G tank is a good fit for them.

1. They are only 18 inches deep. An adult Boa really want 2FT+. Depth is important, not just square feet.

2. As mentioned, glass tanks are not ideal for humidity. Although BCI's are pretty flexible compared to BCC's, they still pretty high and consistent humidity and consistent temperatures as well.

3. Boas are freaking strong. How would you make a 125G tank escape proof?

4. My Boas are not shy, however, they love food, and my BCI strikes her acrylic doors at night when hungry. I had to put a drape up that I take down when handling and when feeding. Acrylic doors give a little and she's bent teeth. Not ideal, hence the drapes now. Glass could be bad. Now, not all boas do this, in fact, many don't. However, although small, it's another potential strike against a glass tank.

5. Going to be really expensive to heat to proper boa temps - long run - you might as well get a proper enclosure like a Boaphile or AP if you want a Boa. It will pay for itself in a year or two on heat cost savings alone.

Having said all that, if you dead set on using the 125G, I agree that a large colubrid, or even a corn or king, and giving it a lot of room, is a cool idea. They love to roam and will use all the space.

I have two corns as well and love them. They come in any color or pattern you want, are docile but energetic, eat like clockwork, and are all over the tank at night. My adult corn, Figment, is a big boy (for a corn), at 5FT, and about 650G. He uses all of his 4X2' tank, usually looking for or begging for food.

There are other larger colubrids, as mentioned, that would do well in there as well, as well as some lizard species if you are open to that idea.

Good luck, keep us in the loop, and feel free to keep asking questions or ask for clarification, etc.

EDIT: I just saw the lexan lid and humidity control thing. Not sure how would heat from above with the Lexan lid though. Lot of space to heat from below. Any info you can add here would be appreciated. I have all Boaphiles, and have avoided glass tanks for a long time for the reasons above. I would be interested in what you think about how the lid changes the dynamics. Also, how it changes the escape issues as well.
    Lexan is extremely durable but it’s also pricey so plexiglass and some other non permeable materials are in the running.I do need to find a way to secure the lid to the tank but also have some plans for hinges and locks. As for the striking the glass, I’d be more concerned with the snake being hurt. This was previously a salt water aquarium. I just can’t see a boa putting more psi through a strike than the amount of water this tank held, I could be very very wrong though. The plan for heat is to buy the biggest rhp I can fit on the lid run off a thermostat. I don’t see a problem with maintaining heat or humidity. I’m 100% going to “cycle” the enclosure for an extended period before even purchasing the snake. The reason for the tank is I still feel I can stay well under the price of a pvc enclosure and still have a really nice looking tank. I’m definitely going to look into carpets for sure. The dimensions are 72 1/2x18 1/2x23 2/8 so basically 6 foot long by a foot and a half wide by almost two feet high.
    Last edited by DandD; 01-15-2019 at 09:08 PM.

Thanks

Also forgot to mention,talking with my fiancée about her getting to help design the interior and make and paint a stand has got her kind of excited. It’s almost turned into like a project of ours so that’s going to be a fun adeventure.
    Last edited by DandD; 01-15-2019 at 09:07 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast