Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,111

1 members and 3,110 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Looks like you are on the right track! Semper Fi.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MR Snakes For This Useful Post:

pretends2bnormal (01-19-2019)

Thanks
    Firstly, good job on the rescue! I've rescued a few myself and it seems like yours are well on their way to being happy healthy noodles.

Secondly, I wanted to drop in my .02 about morph ID on these two. The larger of the 2 does show some enchi traits, but if he is, it's really low expression of the gene.

The little one IMHO is a pastel or fire, the distortion in the pattern and color scream pastel to me from my monitor, but she also has the characteristic flaming on her sides like a fire. Only time will tell to see if her blacks on her back will blush out at all, and that'll prove some sort of lightening gene.

But either way she's definitely not just a normal.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RXLReptiles For This Useful Post:

KevinK (01-23-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Is she flicking her tongue normally now? The only thing I thought of is the BP that was shipped to me years ago with a glottis infection that affected (pretty
    much stopped) the tongue-flick. You could see a tiny bulge under the chin/upper neck also, where the infection was...like he had an 'adam's apple'.

Looks like you got both of these in time for a good recovery!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Re: Rescue/Rehome of 2 BPs

Quote Originally Posted by RXLReptiles View Post
    Firstly, good job on the rescue! I've rescued a few myself and it seems like yours are well on their way to being happy healthy noodles.

Secondly, I wanted to drop in my .02 about morph ID on these two. The larger of the 2 does show some enchi traits, but if he is, it's really low expression of the gene.

The little one IMHO is a pastel or fire, the distortion in the pattern and color scream pastel to me from my monitor, but she also has the characteristic flaming on her sides like a fire. Only time will tell to see if her blacks on her back will blush out at all, and that'll prove some sort of lightening gene.

But either way she's definitely not just a normal.
    Thanks. They're doing pretty well so far. Both have peed (multiple times) and the boy left a gift for me after they ate Friday, lol.

I'm gonna get pics on the boy after his next shed, but I'm leaning toward nice normal right now... if he has it, it is definitely not a great example.

For the girl, I don't think pastel. Her browns seem to dark overall for that, though I did wonder a bit on fire. I'm awful at IDing it, so wasn't going to suggest it. Same as the boy, I will grab more/better pics for an ID later after a shed and when she starts filling back out.

Thanks for the input!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

FollowTheSun (01-25-2019),RXLReptiles (01-24-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Is she flicking her tongue normally now? The only thing I thought of is the BP that was shipped to me years ago with a glottis infection that affected (pretty
    much stopped) the tongue-flick. You could see a tiny bulge under the chin/upper neck also, where the infection was...like he had an 'adam's apple'.

Looks like you got both of these in time for a good recovery!
    I have been leaving them alone more since they ate on Friday, I got sick over the weekend, and I want them to settle in better, so they've only been out minutes at a time for cleaning and such, but she was still only partially flicking on Sunday for the minute she was out. It did seem to be coming out further, I could see the fork and not just the tips, but not fully out either. I think it's just stress for her, luckily.
    No bulges at all or odd lumps anywhere on her, just some oddly lose feeling skin from what I guess is the weight loss she had at some point.

She was only at the house for what sounded like a short time, 2 months I'd guess, maybe 3, and was cohabbed for at least several weeks with a 2x or more larger male... not a calm experience for her. The tub was probably a 16-18 qt tub, just 1 very open commercial hide big enough for both of them and a water bowl.
    Hide looked kind of like this with the smaller opening into the tub, the left corner part was in the corner of the tub.

Last edited by pretends2bnormal; 01-23-2019 at 02:09 PM.

Thanks

Both of them took a 2nd meal with no problems. Both got offered a live fuzzy rat. The girl took it with no hesitation even though she had been on mice before. Next time I'm going to feed Monday to get them on schedule with the rest of mine for simplicity and do weekly from there.

I'll be trying the boy on frozen rat fuzzies on the next meal since he had been on frozen mice and has been taking rats, so that should work out fine, he has the reactions of a strong feeder so far. I'll probably give the girl a few more live before swapping so she doesn't have to skip any meals until her weight is better, although she has a killer food response and would probably take it okay.

After their next meal I'll work on some better lighting pictures and such.

Also, the boy seems to ADORE peeing in his tub. I've had to swap his paper towels almost every other day it feels like... and both times he has peed within 12 hours of a meal. I don't think it is a cause for concern since he's in good body shape, but jeez is he making it tough to leave him alone to settle in. I set him on top of the rack for 30 seconds to swap the towels and wipe out the bin and he took a swing at my face, lol. Nowhere near landing a hit, but the poor guy is definitely the more nervous one of the two. He makes the little girl seem like a curious labrador by comparison.

Oh. And anyone who has name suggestions, chime in!
    It is a bit tiring to call them "girl" and "boy", but I haven't got any other ideas right now.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-25-2019),FollowTheSun (01-25-2019)

Thanks

I can confirm tonight that the girls tongue is capable of coming out all the way! Only about half the time, but mostly she just flicks at things super close now. When reaching in open air to sniff things, she can and did get it out fully several times tonight, so that's a relief.

Also, got tagged by the boy.. he did not want me to scoop him up to return to his bin when I had to clean out his tub again. This one poops like clockwork so far. 36-48 hrs after a meal. Nothing too bad on the bite, wiped off to nothing at all. Example of a 160-ish gram BP bite!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-25-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I predict you'll make a full recovery. Wonder why he pees so often though? He'll probably calm down in time...it's all so new to him yet.

Looks like you're the best thing to ever happen to these two snakes.

BTW, about that BP with a glottis infection, the other tip off was the tongue tips were stuck together, & since you're not seeing that, I'd bet your gal is just
    weak & will get her strength back fully with all your TLC. Sure hope so. It's lucky that she's so willing to eat, that's most of the battle right there.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

pretends2bnormal (01-25-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I predict you'll make a full recovery. Wonder why he pees so often though? He'll probably calm down in time...it's all so new to him yet.

Looks like you're the best thing to ever happen to these two snakes.

BTW, about that BP with a glottis infection, the other tip off was the tongue tips were stuck together, & since you're not seeing that, I'd bet your gal is just
    weak & will get her strength back fully with all your TLC. Sure hope so. It's lucky that she's so willing to eat, that's most of the battle right there.
    It's only been a few times he has peed, but it always is after I swap the paper towels because he pooped or something.. I think it has been like 2x each week? Not too surprising for now if he hadn't had reliable water and is drinking while he has it. He just always goes right after feeding. Lol.

I went into it expecting them to be in much better shape, just some winter stuck shed for the one, but guess I was too optimistic that this person knew what to do.

Yeah, hers has always come out split, just not always fully out. Watching her today, I think it is a shyness reaction, though she doesn't ball up at all. She is still pretty weak at moving around (best description of her strength is like a "wet noodle" imo) and her scales on her belly just seem flimsy. I think some is just baby scales are softer and makes it seem so much worse, but they are feeling better with the higher humidity and as she's eaten.

She has a better food response than the boy, though neither is at all refusing or hesitant. Drop live in and she's on it in a flash. He prefers waiting for an ambush, lol. I'll bet hers transitions over to frozen well, but waiting on her to gain strength and weight before I do. Squeezing on live is probably pretty good for helping build back the muscle mass it feels like she's missing.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-25-2019)

Thanks

Things are still going pretty good. No new pics this time.

The boy is a very good weight, so we are trying to swap him onto frozen. He was a no-go last week, but we'll try again. He struck and coiled a few times, but dropped it and always did 2 or 3 initial defensive strikes before grabbing. He's much more freaked out by me being nearby. Didn't eat it left overnight either.

I've kept the girl on live for now. It seems to be helping her build some muscle to constrict it and she eats every time with it. After her last meal, she has looked pretty bloated, so I've done 2 short soaks in warm water and got her to drop some urates. That helped some, but she wouldn't poop. (It looks like she really needs to at this point.) I'll probably do 1 more soak and leave it for a meal and digesting (close to a week) and see if she gets it herself after the next meal. (Or if she's holding it for a shed... ya never know.)

My pied was fairly shy like she acts in the tub and refused to poop without the warm water bath for the first 12 weeks and 2 sheds that we had her (crossing that milestone was a relief), so I think it may be similar.

She looks surprisingly dully colored, so she might be heading for a shed already, but it is hard to tell. I probably won't know for sure until she goes blue for the first shed. It has been 3 and a half weeks that I've had them now, so if she does monthly then it would he coming up. She was fairly dull colored compared to the boy even right after we got her stuck shed off, so I'm not sure if I'm seeing that difference or her actually being dull.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-06-2019)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast