Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,859

1 members and 2,858 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie to BPs

Thanks

Pics of my babies

See? I DO have snakes. Pics say it all. LOL~

Nyah [IMG]20190114_111620.jpg[/IMG]

Imani [IMG]20190114_111128.jpg[/IMG]

Hope these come through. If not, I need to wait till my son is around to show me how to do it.
    Last edited by Phoenix Rising; 01-14-2019 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Do not see pics

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    Congratulations and some friendly advice, me personally I like 88 to 90 degrees, and 76 to 74 for my coolest. As far as increasing humidity, are you using some sort of reptile bark and other moisture retaining liter? I personally use paper towels and a very big humidifier. You also mentioned you had a humid hide with an inch of water on the bottom, that’s definitely more a swamp then a humid hide. You should just use really damp moss, soaked then squeeze the excess water out, with no standing water on the bottom. But yes please be careful with your temps, and best of luck.
    Last edited by Sonny1318; 01-14-2019 at 01:10 PM.
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

Thanks

Re: Pics of my babies

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Rising View Post
    See? I DO have snakes. Pics say it all. LOL~

[IMG]Imani.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]Nyah.jpg[/IMG]

Hope these come through.
    Nope...still no snakes. It's lies! All lies!

JK

Thanks

Re: Newbie to BPs

Sonny, thank you so much for the post. I shall work diligently to get it to those goals. Hope they can forgive me the process time. I have been working on getting it right.

Thanks

Do those fog making "thingies" create humidity?

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Shayne, I got your number now. ROFLOL!!! You're the fiesty one in the forum.

Jellybean, Us seniors are on the rise!!! How long have you had snakes?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Phoenix Rising For This Useful Post:

Shayne (01-14-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny1318 View Post
    Congratulations and some friendly advice, me personally I like 88 to 90 degrees, and 76 to 74 for my coolest. As far as increasing humidity, are you using some sort of reptile bark and other moisture retaining liter? I personally use paper towels and a very big humidifier. You also mentioned you had a humid hide with an inch of water on the bottom, that’s definitely more a swamp then a humid hide. You should just use really damp moss, soaked then squeeze the excess water out, with no standing water on the bottom. But yes please be careful with your temps, and best of luck.
    The humid hide has water in it and sphagnum moss too. I'll remove the standing water in it though. I'm just desperately trying to get that humidity up. I will redo that moisture box. Thanks for the heads up. I'll also spray the bottom substrate more as well. Those temps are what I'm aiming at but not quite there yet. Getting closer though. Thank you so much for the advice. I'm all ears... er... eyes.

Thanks

Shayne, I got your number now. ROFLOL!!! You're the fiesty one in the forum.

Jellybean, Us seniors are on the rise!!! How long have you had snakes?
    I have had many reptiles in the past but never a snake
    So I've owned my snake for 2 months now

Thanks

Once you get the husbandry down to what they need and they're eating well snakes are extremely easy to keep!!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Dakski, thank you so much for the feeding info.

For Nyah I have a 30 gal tank, 36" x 18" floor. I use an under tank heater on one end. It has a thermostat. I also have a temp and humidity monitor in the center of the tank. In the tank I have a bowl of water and I have a plastic container with sphagnum moss in it and keep it wet. Actually has about an inch of water in the bottom. The cover has a hole in in about 1 1/2" in diameter so it releases moisture and Nyah can crawl into it if she wants to. The thermostat that is directly over the heating pad is registering at degrees. Humidity varies of course but I mist it a couple times a day starting with hot water. Currently her tank is 94.8 on the hot side with the temp right over the heating pad. Cold side is 67. Humidity is 54.

Imani has a 20L tank. Again, he has an under tank heater on one end. I messed up and got a rheostat instead of the thermostat. I have the latter on its way from Amazon now. He also has a digital temp and humidity monitor. The probe is over his heating pad. I have another cheap strip thermometer on the cold side. It will be set up like Nyah as soon as the thermostat gets here. His temps run 105 on the hot side right over the pad. Cold is 70 and humidity is 41. I'm going to mist both as soon as I get this written.

Nyah shed last night. Both are snuggled in one of their 3 hides available in each tank, the one right over the pad. I do not have lights up for them yet but plan on doing that. I think you saw more info about them and the near future plans for their habitats in my original post.

Hope I'm at least close to what I need. Thank you for the feeding guide. I have been researching a LOT on as much as I can. My biggest challenge will be feeding them. Actually, that is why I have not gotten a snake up till now. I'm TERRIFIED of mice and rats. Nightmare petrified. It's the only critter I feel like that about. BUT... I decided I will NOT let that stop me from fulfilling a dream. At my age, it's now or never.

Thank you for any and all advice you can give me and thank you for accepting me to this forum.
    Maggie
    First, DO NOT feed tonight. You absolutely need to get temps and humidity right BEFORE you feed. Things are definitely off and feeding can do more harm than good right now.

Secondly, temp guidelines for BP's: Hot side: 88-90F Ambient (middle of tank temps): 82-84F Cool side: 78-80F

Too cold is bad and equal poor digestion and illness. However, too hot can equal really sick really fast or even death.

105F can cause neurological damage and death quickly. Sounds like there are other options in the tank, but that is a big no-no.

You NEED a thermostat for all heating elements. Glad you have one on the way and you know this. I am saying that for others as well. Not to beat you over the head.

You should be checking temps with a temp gun. If you don't have one, you need one, and get one cheap on amazon or at home depot. You want to know what temps are on the ground, where the snake is.

Humidity should be 55-65% most of the time, with a bump when in shed.

If you are struggling with humidity it's probably because a) you don't have proper enclosures - glass tanks are not ideal with screen lids and b) if your tanks are too hot it's sucking humidity out.

We can answer questions on what enclosures you should ultimately get for when the little ones are bigger.

However, in the meantime.

Get a temp gun and get proper temp readings.

They need clean water to drink. If you want a small bowl with moss to keep humidity up, that's fine, but they also need a clean bowl of water to drink from.

Get temps down on the hot side and up on the cool side. If you need a ceramic heat emitter (CHE), etc. for each tank (low wattage probably), that might be a good idea, but again, that will need a thermostat as well, unless you got a thermostat that can run multiple devices.

Please ask any questions or points of clarification. I might sound preachy or stern, but I want to help. Young snakes can get sick quicker than adult snakes. At 4 months old they need to eat soon and they won't, or won't digest well, or worse, if your environment is what you say it is.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast