Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,639

1 members and 1,638 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Newbie to BPs

Thanks

Re: Newbie to BPs

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybeans View Post
    I have had many reptiles in the past but never a snake
    So I've owned my snake for 2 months now

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

I have had reptiles as well, Bearded Dragons, Geckos and a tortoise. I also currently have 4 dogs, 1 cat, a Congo African Grey parrot (I used to breed parrots and had a nice aviary) and my 10 year old has a 10 gallon fish tank. She now wants a snake of her own. LOL.

Thanks

I know that ball pythons don't require UVB light however I would like to put a live plant in his tank so I'm going to get one eventually

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post

However, in the meantime.

Get a temp gun and get proper temp readings.

They need clean water to drink. If you want a small bowl with moss to keep humidity up, that's fine, but they also need a clean bowl of water to drink from.

Get temps down on the hot side and up on the cool side. If you need a ceramic heat emitter (CHE), etc. for each tank (low wattage probably), that might be a good idea, but again, that will need a thermostat as well, unless you got a thermostat that can run multiple devices.

Please ask any questions or points of clarification. I might sound preachy or stern, but I want to help. Young snakes can get sick quicker than adult snakes. At 4 months old they need to eat soon and they won't, or won't digest well, or worse, if your environment is what you say it is.
    I have a heat gun and a new thermostat coming from Amazon as well. Both the new thermostat and the heat gun will be here Wednesday at the latest. I got the wrong thing at the Repticon.

They each have a bowl of water in besides their moisture box in each of their enclosures. This bowl of water is changed daily if not more. I'm working on both humidity and temp. Believe me. THANK YOU for the warning not to feed till the numbers are right. Whew!

Thank you for your advice. I'll take all I can get.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Phoenix Rising For This Useful Post:

dakski (01-14-2019)

Thanks

I see several pieces of advice on the temps, but what is best for the humidity? Thanks in advance.

Thanks

Yea...humidity is the tougher one

Thanks
    For a glass enclosure, optimally, you would insulate the back and sides with some foam insulation to retain heat (the heating elements in your enclosures are what are lowering the humidity), and cover the screen with plexiglass except for an 8" hole for a ceramic heat emitter (which you definitely need to boost the cool side temperatures). An orchid bark, cypress or coconut-based substrate along with these modifications should keep humidity where you need it.
    Last edited by ryknoll3; 01-14-2019 at 03:21 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ryknoll3 View Post
    For a glass enclosure, optimally, you would insulate the back and sides with some foam insulation to retain heat (the heating elements in your enclosures are what are lowering the humidity), and cover the screen with plexiglass except for an 8" hole for a ceramic heat emitter (which you definitely need to boost the cool side temperatures). An orchid bark, cypress or coconut-based substrate along with these modifications should keep humidity where you need it.
    Thank you. I am putting foam board on the back and sides. I'll get a top for it too. I have the cypress substrate in there. I'll get this going ASAP.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Phoenix Rising For This Useful Post:

dr del (01-14-2019)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123