Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,753

1 members and 2,752 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

New python parents need advice! My baby is shedding

Hello! My husband recently rescued a 3 month old ball python from someone who was just going to release him into the wild OF MID ALBERTA IN JANUARY. We are first time snake owners, we've had him for a little over a week. Recently he had been looking wrinkly width wise and while I've been out the house this weekend my husband has let me know he's starting to shed. The temperatures have been good (we're following what the care sheet at the top of the forum here) and have bumped up his humidity to the mid-60s. From all our research it looks like it's going to be a bad shed, any tips and tricks or dangerous things to look for? We just really want our new baby to be healthy and happy.

Thanks!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Apophis'parents For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-13-2019),Luvyna (01-13-2019)

Thanks

Re: New python parents need advice! My baby is shedding

Looking wrinkly is usually a sign of dehydration. Personally I bump my humidity up to 70 as soon as their eyes blue. It may help to give it a good soak for both dehydration and a bad shed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jbabycsx For This Useful Post:

Apophis'parents (01-13-2019),Luvyna (01-13-2019)

Thanks

Maybe try making a humidity hide - tutorial here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjBFKkbJrRE
    That should take care of getting humidity to the right level and the snake can choose to go in or out as needed.

Snakes don't always know to use them immediately so you can try putting the snake inside it once you're sure they're going into shed.

If your snake is very wrinkly that could be a sign of dehydration and being underweight. If the shed does come off badly you may need to soak them in lukewarm water and help out to get it all off. Make sure to check their tail tip for stuck shed and ensure the snake's eye caps came off.
    Last edited by Luvyna; 01-13-2019 at 08:59 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

Apophis'parents (01-13-2019),Bogertophis (01-13-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    Thank you for rescuing this snake from a cruel & certain death!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Apophis'parents (01-13-2019),Craiga 01453 (01-14-2019),Jbabycsx (01-13-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Thank you for rescuing this snake from a cruel & certain death!
    Here, here. People are so stupid!!!!!

PS: It may not have eaten either.
    Last edited by MR Snakes; 01-13-2019 at 09:25 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MR Snakes For This Useful Post:

Apophis'parents (01-13-2019)

Thanks
    Maybe try putting some rough (not sharp!) decor in the enclosure if there is none. That way the snake can rub on it to help remove skin. Some good examples are hides or water bowls made out of that kind of rock-like material and pieces of wood. Make sure to use things that are made specifically for reptiles or sanitize the objects well.
    Thank you for saving him!! Terrible TERRIBLE that someone would just want to release him... especially at only 3 months old. It sounds like he probably didn't have the best care... you should consider bringing him to a vet just to give him a general check-up. The wrinkles you see could be from being under weight or dehydrated. Do you have any pics of him to share?
    I'm so glad that he's in good hands now with people who truly care for him! Good luck with your baby!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to royalreilly For This Useful Post:

Apophis'parents (01-13-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Apophis'parents View Post
    Hello! My husband recently rescued a 3 month old ball python from someone who was just going to release him into the wild OF MID ALBERTA IN JANUARY. We are first time snake owners, we've had him for a little over a week. Recently he had been looking wrinkly width wise and while I've been out the house this weekend my husband has let me know he's starting to shed. The temperatures have been good (we're following what the care sheet at the top of the forum here) and have bumped up his humidity to the mid-60s. From all our research it looks like it's going to be a bad shed, any tips and tricks or dangerous things to look for? We just really want our new baby to be healthy and happy.

Thanks!
    Sorry if I sound insensitive but it would be cool if you set up a progression thread of how the rescue snake is improving
    do the jah

Thanks

He has apparently eaten once a week every week since the previous owner got him (there was a card tracking it that came with him) and he's eaten since we've had him. He's only 127 grams as of today. His next scheduled feeding is tomorrow.

Thanks

Once I get home I'll post some pictures for sure! I'm on my phone right now and it's not the easiest thing to figure out! We'll definitely try to take him to the vet soon, there's a reptile vet I know of nearby that I'll check some reviews of. I want to try to minimize his stress as much as possible right now. @samsonact I'll try to post regularly about the little dude! He's got such a sweet face and we love him so much already! I love to share the journey.