Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,805

1 members and 2,804 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: baby or adult

Thanks

baby or adult

Should I get a baby or an adult as my first snake? I love adults more than babies but I wanna watch my snake grow up
    do the jah

Thanks

Re: baby or adult

It's really up to you and what you want to get out of the experience or what you feel comfortable with handling. I was originally planning to get an adult or yearling snake as my first but when I went to the breeder I ended up really liking one of the 4 month old babies so that's what I ended up with.

Pros and cons of getting an adult snake:

Pros
    - Won't need to go through figuring out what size prey they should be eating as they grow or transitioning them from mice to rats...etc.
    - You get what you see -- the colouring of adults won't change
    - Adults will have a more established personality, whereas babies can start off nippy and may or may not calm down or change as they grow

Cons
    - Don't get to watch it grow up and change
    - Babies are cute
    - Don't know the background of the snake (its experiences with handling, any bad experiences it might have had)

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (01-13-2019),Sonny1318 (01-13-2019),Zincubus (01-14-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

baby or adult

I recommend getting a baby, so that you can raise it in your environment and it will associate YOU with its environment.
    Then again... I’ve bought some really friendly adults.
    If you want a fairly affordable morph, then adults are a good choice. If you want something more exotic, the adults will be slim pickings as very expensive breeders.
    Better to get a hatchling in that case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Godzilla78; 01-13-2019 at 05:08 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (01-14-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

You can also split the difference and go with a yearling. You still get a fairly young snake that you can watch grow, but have the benefit of a larger animal that has been regularly feeding. Both my mojave and banana mojave were purchased as yearlings.
    Other Snakes:
    Hudson 1988 1.0 Colombian rainbow; Yang 2002 1.0 Corn snake; Merlin 2000 1.0 Solomon Island ground boa; Kett 2015 1.0 Diamond Jungle Jaguar carpet python; Dakota 2014 0.0.1 Children’s python

Ball pythons:
    Eli 1990 1.0 Normal; Buttercup 2015 1.0 Albino; Artemis 2015 0.1 Dragonfly; Orion 2015 1.0 Banana Pinstripe; Button 2018 1.0 Blue Eyed Lucy; Piper 2018 0.1 Piebald; Belle 2018 0.1 Lemonblast; Sabrina 2017 0.1 Mojave; Selene 2017 0.1 Banana Mojave; Loki 2018 1.0 Pastel Mystic Potion; Cuervo 2018 1.0 Banana Piebald; Claude 2017 1.0 Albino Pastel Spider; Penelope 2016 0.1 Lesser

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-13-2019),Craiga 01453 (01-14-2019),Zincubus (01-14-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,793 Times in 11,827 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    You can also split the difference and go with a yearling. You still get a fairly young snake that you can watch grow, but have the benefit of a larger animal that has been regularly feeding. Both my mojave and banana mojave were purchased as yearlings.
    And especially if you are new to keeping snakes, hatchlings or neonates (as the live-born snakes are called) are delicate & shouldn't be handled much until they're
    solid eaters & a little bigger. Even then, they are delicate. A much better choice is a yearling...it's still smaller than an adult, but has a better survival chance too.
    (With a hatchling/neonate snake, there is always a very slim chance that some internal issue will result in their failure to thrive, even those that seem fine at first.)

Also, many breeders hold some back & after about a year may decide to further whittle down their choices & sell a few that they weren't sure about, so it's possible
    to find a very nice "hold-back" available for purchase...but keep in mind that with more "invested in the snake", the price will normally be somewhat higher...but
    again, that's a nice trade off for having a stronger & well-started young snake.

However, IF the breeder is one of those that is simply "maintenance-feeding" snakes they always planned to sell anyway, I'd steer clear. They may or may not admit
    to this practice, but when a snake is unusually small for the stated age, that's how you can tell. Maintenance feeding may or may not impact their long-term health...
    & personally, I don't think it's right. (It's done so that snakes stay small & more appealing as "babies" & are easier to house & haul around to shows to sell.) But ask
    yourself, would you do that to a child? -give them only enough food to survive but not grow? No...you want them to have strong bones, a strong immune system, etc.

For a first snake, I'd recommend a yearling. It will take some of the pressure off you, as it will already be a well-established feeder with a 'track record'.
    Some hatchlings feed for the breeder, but the stress of going to a new home is frightening...add to that some handling (that few owners can resist, even
    though they should ), and they can be hard to get feeding again. That = stress for you AND the snake. You'll feel much more confident with a yearling.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-13-2019 at 11:46 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (01-14-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

I always considered my plans for it when thinking about this.

If I was buying the morph for breeding I like to get babies so I know their whole history in terms of how fast they gain weight and how their eating pattern is regarding winter fasting etc to help me decide when they could be ready to breed.

If I'm buying it as either a pet or just eye candy then I'm a little more open to older animals.

del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

At first I wanted an adult size ball python but I ended up buying a hatchling because it was so darn cute
    I'm glad I did now because I can raise it up the way I want. He is actually not head shy anymore he lets you pet him on the head but I can't wait until he does get big

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    I just bought my first BP back in October. I bought a 4 month old snake, but it was 175 grams when I bought. I enjoyed the peace of mind that it had been eating good and that I could trust the breeder that I wasn't getting a trouble feeder but a reliable f/t eater. Maybe this is an option... Not a neonate, but a well-started juvenile.