Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,028

1 members and 3,027 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Has anyone ever seen this morph?

I have no idea why but for years now I have been obsessed with the idea of a axanthic pinstripe pied ball python. I always thought it'd be cool, you know? And when I went searching for someone who may have bred them (I didn't care the price I just knew it would be worth it) I couldn't find it anywhere! I saw a axanthic pinstripe, pieds, axanthic pieds, pinstripe pieds, and a whole lot more but never the combo I'm wanting!

I would love to breed this cute combo but to do that I was told a long time ago my best bet would be to get a axanthic pinstripe and breed it to a pied? Does the pied have to be het for anything? And can someone teach me about BP morph genetics? I'm still new and need someone to teach me. You have to be very patient with me because I learn from experience and repetition more than anything.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Re: Has anyone ever seen this morph?

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet-Marine View Post
    I was told a long time ago my best bet would be to get a axanthic pinstripe and breed it to a pied? Does the pied have to be het for anything? And can someone teach me about BP morph genetics? I'm still new and need someone to teach me. You have to be very patient with me because I learn from experience and repetition more than anything.
    No, pied and axanthic are recessives, so you'll either need an axanthic pinstripe het pied x pied het axanthic. Or pinstripe pied het axanthic x axanthic pied. Or any combo of these genes that includes the axanthic and pied on both parents, whether it's visual or het, and pinstripe on either parent since it's dominant. If both parents are just het axanthic and het pied, you'll also get the chances to produce an axanthic pinstripe pied, but just the chances will be very low.

This pairing generator will give you an idea of how genes work: http://www.worldofballpythons.com/wizard
    Last edited by redshepherd; 01-13-2019 at 03:41 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

dr del (01-13-2019),Lord Sorril (01-13-2019)

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

And when I went searching for someone who may have bred them (I didn't care the price I just knew it would be worth it) I couldn't find it anywhere!
    They are coming: Watch MorphMarket next fall and you will see some posted. They will be expensive though about $4-5K each and depending upon demand they will sell out fast.
    *.* TNTC

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (01-13-2019),the_rotten1 (01-13-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sorril View Post
    They are coming: Watch MorphMarket next fall and you will see some posted. They will be expensive though about $4-5K each and depending upon demand they will sell out fast.
    Would it be cheaper in the long run to just produce some myself? I don't mind paying the price at all, just trying to figure out the best route to take. What did you pair up together to get one? What are the odds of getting one?

I want to be a snake breeder in future anyway so it's not like id just breed to produce my perfect morph then sell everything, I'd still keep breeding whether I breed as a hobby or a business, I'm not certain yet.

Id love to learn more about snake genetics it's always fascinates me to learn new things!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sweet-Marine For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (01-13-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Axanthic piebald bred to a

Axanthic pinstripe het Pied.

Here is a male of the first kind:
    https://www.morphmarket.com/us/c/rep...pythons/159484

Here is a female to match...
    https://www.morphmarket.com/us/c/rep...pythons/169334

This will give each hatchling a 25% chance to get a lightning pin pied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

That’s about$4500 just to buy the potential to make one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Would it be cheaper in the long run to just produce some myself? I don't mind paying the price at all, just trying to figure out the best route to take. What did you pair up together to get one? What are the odds of getting one?

I want to be a snake breeder in future anyway so it's not like id just breed to produce my perfect morph then sell everything, I'd still keep breeding whether I breed as a hobby or a business, I'm not certain yet.

Id love to learn more about snake genetics it's always fascinates me to learn new things!
    If you only want one Axanthic Pied Pinstripe ball python: I would personally save your money and buy one (The longer you wait: The cheaper they will become). If you want a dozen: That is a different story.

If you do plan on breeding you would have to calculate logistics including: space/housing/food/electricity/labor/devaluation/competition over time.

Regarding Genetics and multiple genes: There are many ways to reach the same goal. The question becomes probability and likelihood. Use online calculators to help you determine your odds based upon different combinations.
    *.* TNTC

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The cheapest way to go is Axanthic Pinstripe x Pied it will also be the longest route 6 to 9 years if lucky.

First step you will produce Pin DH Axanthic Pied and DH Axanthic Pied

Second step you raise 1.0 Pin Axanthic Pied and at least 0.2 DH Axanthic Pied

Third step you pair them together.

It's gonna be a long shot, a lot of time, a lot of babies (DH without a reputation will be close to impossible to sell) and a lot of extra expenses so what you need to gauge is if all that is worth the time and money or if you start saving now and be able to buy one in let's say 3 to 6 years.
    Deborah Stewart

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Lord Sorril (01-13-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Here are a couple of useful web pages for learning genetics. IMO. The first is for corn snakes, but genetics works the same for ball pythons, corn snakes, mice, fruit flies, etc. Learn one and you are good for any of them. I wrote the second. It's short but does not have the mistakes in the sticky in this forum.

http://serpwidgets.com/main/genetics01

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...bones+genetics

I agree with Deborah that the cheapest parental generation is axanthic pin x pied. Brother x sister mating. They produce pin DH axanthic pied and normal looking DH axanthic pied.

Then mate one or more of the pin DH males to either pin DH axanthic pied or normal looking DH axanthic pied til you get either a pin axanthic pied or an axanthic pied. Raise that and mate it to a pin DH uncle or a pin DH aunt .

Good luck.
    Last edited by paulh; 01-13-2019 at 06:46 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to paulh For This Useful Post:

gunkle (02-03-2019)