Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,647

1 members and 2,646 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: Uhh basking?

Thanks

Uhh basking?

Heyo, Nicky is doing great, I have successfully gotten him switched from live to frozen thaw and he has since then had four F/T meals. He has also shed nicely and should be getting ready to shed again here soon.

Quick question though, he is basking, like not roaming around his viv trying to escape, but instead sitting on his log all laid out and chilling. Now of course I thought "oh, is there something wrong with your set-up bud?" Checked everything, UTH is 90F checked the spot with a temp gun and his bedding in his warm hide reads 90F. His cool side is no cooler than 82F his humidity is at 50% it is dry and I have his humid box ready for his upcoming shed. Fresh water, checked for any issues with him, when I picked him up he was calm and didn't feel hot, he wasn't sluggish either which is good cause I was at work.

But yeah he is just sitting on his log under the light. First time I have seen this, I didn't change anything and his viv is clean no signs of him using the bathroom, even scooped around. Just wondering if this is okay or if I should switch his overhead light off to encourage him back into his hide.

BTW: His lamp is hung on a lamp holder so the bulb is not close to him, there is a good foot of distance between the top of the viv and that bulb and the temps are no higher than 87F on the surface of the viv and where he is sitting. So idk why he would be out and about. He's not roaming like a stressed snake would so I am left scratching my head. Usually he stays in his hide especially if he hears me coming home (We still are working on trust), I'll catch him dip inside his hide the second he sees me but now even after picking him up he just stays out.

It's odd, but I don't see anything wrong, nor hear anything wrong like wheezing/popping or see any mucus, rapid breathing, anything to cause alarm.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    I’ll say this much. I keep all mine in tanks and more then occasionally get a guy or two out. Just come out for a day or two, sometimes just a few hours. If everything is on with your husbandry, you just might have a guy who isn’t as afraid as other “balls”. Again just my two cents. Peace
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    Providing overhead heat such as your light gets them to come out to lay under the heat.

87F is a warm temp that would encourage them to lay there. It's nothing unusual.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 01-13-2019 at 03:31 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (01-13-2019),Sonny1318 (01-13-2019)

Thanks
    Yeah he's been pretty brave aside from head shyness. Just never had him actually hang around when I am here, it's actually kinda cool. He and I share a room so when I get up to leave he pokes his head out and I tell him goodbye or when I get home he does the same but will vanish back into his hide when I walk closer to say hello.

Right now he has changed how he has been sitting a few times, but each pose he has his eyes on me.

Hang on snapped some pics, they are really red my phone sucks.

He looks like some sappy villain.

But it's cool actually getting to see him. He and I haven't really gotten along, I love 'em of course but I can only do so much to earn his trust and he just doesn't wanna take up on that which is cool, he hasn't bitten or striked at me but he doesn't like being handled so I keep sessions short. Not short enough where he doesn't get handling time, but not long 45 mins worth. Just brief holding for 10-15 mins tops and never after he eats, I let him settle for two days and wait till I see him out and about before handling him again.

He's gotten better but still really on edge if you move too quick or if something touches his head and he freaks out. But he will loosen up and even sniff around or lay down on my lap while I do art or play a game.

Thanks
    My room stays dark and quite btw aside from the light that comes in during the day and his heat lamp is set to sunrise and sunset times so it's off when the sun is out unless it's gunna be cold.

Thanks

Update

I watched him get up and slither back into his hide. Cool, guess he was just basking