Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,119

1 members and 2,118 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts
    I haven't priced them lately but you can search out prices online ahead of time. Corns are easy to breed, so I doubt that you'll go broke buying one.
    Keep in mind that corns change color as they grow from hatchlings, so you want a breeder you can trust, & to see the "parents".

Thanks

Re: What are the differences between milk corn and rat snakes

I'd say corn if you want something to handle easily and not worry about it being big. But if you want something a bit bigger and more lively a nice Honduran Milk would be good. My guy in the picture is 25 years old and is super chill. Just moves around till he gets comfy then he just chills clinging around an arm or my waist like a belt haha.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toasted Hippo For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-13-2019),Dianne (01-13-2019),Hannahshissyfix (01-18-2019)

Thanks
    Toasted Hippo, that's a wonderful Honduran Milk snake you've got (I've not kept any Hondurans in the past, btw); I assume he's mellower now though because
    he's, well, 25? I can remember the hatchling milk snakes I had (Pueblan & Sinaloan), & unless you have great manual dexterity & good reflexes, they're super
    quick & wiggly...VERY hard to hang onto. Things you never handle near a sink, for example... But they are beautiful & cool too, especially after they grow some.

That's funny about him going around your waist like a belt...some of my rat snakes that are long enough do that as well, and one of the Trans Pecos I used to
    have actually remembered on repeated occasions to thread herself thru the belt loops on my jeans, like a rock-climber....silly sneks.

And for the OP, corn snakes can actually get bigger than 4'...my oldest now is 20 years old & Pretzell is about 5' (he's an Okeetee corn). So in terms of size, the
    smallest & most docile "rat snakes" that I'm familiar with that meet your criteria are corn & Trans Pecos rat snakes. Corns are far more plentiful & probably less $
    -depending on the variety you choose. Likewise, Trans Pecos are being bred for fancier colors that cost more, but to my eyes, the normal wild-type original ones
    are still the best (and the only ones I can vouch for). Keep in mind that to get these fancier colors, some inbreeding is done, & that does not always result in the
    strongest offspring that feed easily. It's not about price at all to me, I prefer captive-bred snakes that are closer to what "nature" does.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Toasted Hippo, that's a wonderful Honduran Milk snake you've got (I've not kept any Hondurans in the past, btw); I assume he's mellower now though because
    he's, well, 25?
    My honduran is pretty calm, even as a baby. Certainly could just be luck, but he has had none of the flightiness that my 2 corns displayed as babies and is a good reliable eater too.

Even at around 25 grams when I got him, he would grab something and sit on my hand like this.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-13-2019)

Thanks
    "Flighty", that's the word I was looking for...I suspect that's because milk snakes (in general) are ground-dwellers that dash into holes to survive, whereas
    young corn & rat snakes are climbers by nature, and their ventral muscles have developed more to do that, so holding onto our hand comes more naturally.
    But they're ALL worth knowing, for sure...and the OP should get one of each... How's that for "enabling"? hahaha!

As I said before, I've never known a Honduran milk snake, & maybe because they're one of the larger kinds, they're not as flighty? He's a pretty fellow.

To the OP: this probably won't be the last snake you get, so whatever you don't choose this time, there's always next time.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-13-2019 at 01:33 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

pretends2bnormal (01-13-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

easy, it's all in their diet:
    Milk's - only drink milk
    Corn's - only eat corn
    Rat's - only eat rats

but for real, their similar in their activity. the Milk's thrash more and musk when u first get them. they are all very easy to care for and their poops are really gross tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybeans View Post
    How difficult are the blizzard corn snakes to find it Expos and are they more pricey than other morphs
    i see them often at my local shows. one Corn was sold to me as an Avalanche. he was a really pink baby that would turn out all white as it matured. turns out he also had yellow, so he's actually a Blizzard. the breeder missed the mark on his ID. anyways here's a il bit of Tofu: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...?254712-Tofu-P
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-14-2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12