Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,829

0 members and 2,829 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

What are the differences between milk corn and rat snakes

Which are the best to keep as a docile pet

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    I've kept various kinds of all three so I'll offer my 2 cents:

Milk snakes are generally docile & their mouth is comparatively small, so biting isn't their best defense anyway. They're available in bright attractive colors, but if
    you want a pet to handle & interact with, I'd keep looking. Most milk snakes are nervous burrowing types, so they tend to be very restless about handling & have
    less personality IMO.

Corn snakes are excellent easy pets that stay a modest size, come in lots of colors too are not inclined to bite. If you get a hatchling, their teeth are too small to
    feel (unless you're literally under 5 years old) & by the time they grow big enough for you to feel their teeth (in self defense) they'll be tame anyway. High marks! And Great Plains rat snakes are basically corn snakes in duller colors...great pets too.

Rat snakes: it all depends on which ones, many of the ones I'm familiar with make great pets, but a few kinds (like Korean rat snakes) "not so much". I've bred &
    kept many of the 'obsoleta' group (black including amelanistic, grey, Everglades & I currently have 2.2 Florida yellow/gulf hammocks). These are all somewhat
    more challenging than corn snakes & they get quite a bit bigger (some are 6-7' as adults); as hatchlings you'll feel their teeth & they take more time & patience to
    calm down than a corn snake but that's not saying it's terribly difficult, just that they're a step up. On the other hand, if you truly want a docile rat snake, you cannot
    do better than either a Baird's rat snake (get up to 6') or a Trans Pecos (adults are about 4'). Russian rat snakes have the reputation of being great pets too, but I
    can't speak from personal experience on those. And if you're looking for more exotic rat snakes (like from Asia), do your homework carefully.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-12-2019 at 09:24 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Lord Sorril (01-13-2019),pretends2bnormal (01-12-2019)

Thanks

Re: What are the differences between milk corn and rat snakes

So corn snakes might be the best choice
    And btw, I appreciate your 2 cents!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jellybeans For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (01-13-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    Corn snakes are actually a species of rat snake!

There's also a huge variation in rat snake species. Some species are very docile (like corn snakes), while some are known to be defensive. Some stay pretty small while some grow 7-8 feet in length. So you could research into which species you like first. Corn snakes are definitely one of the most docile out of all the rat snakes though, which is why they're so common to have.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 01-12-2019 at 09:42 PM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

Lord Sorril (01-13-2019),MissterDog (01-13-2019),pretends2bnormal (01-12-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

I love my 2 corn snakes, but I do believe I "dodged a bullet" with my milk snake. It seems to me that the honduran milk snakes in particular are less.. stereotypical of milk snakes, from talking to others who have them, but that'sall anecdotal evidence. Mine has always been calm and reasonable to work with, but I feel like it may be an exception. He has never musked, struck, rattled his tail, bit, or even put much effort into fleeing from me, even as a 20 gram little worm.

42" corn snake (abbott's okeetee)

36" honduran milk snake (albino)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-12-2019),Dianne (01-13-2019),Lord Sorril (01-13-2019),the_rotten1 (01-14-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    Well, corn snakes are widely available at great prices too, that doesn't hurt anything. And fyi, they do great in glass tanks with screen tops, ie. good ventilation.
    They like but don't usually need a humid hide, and if you give them branches in the cage, they'll use them & you'll see more of them, just like with most rat snakes.

Corn & the other rat snakes I mentioned do well at room temperatures (70-80*) that we're comfortable at, also...that makes it easy. If your house is 70*, they only
    need a UTH in one corner of the cage for when they want to use it to digest. Or, you can offer a basking spot with overhead heat, or both, but don't overdo the
    heat, especially for corns. Mine all prefer to spend most of their time in the cooler parts of their tanks. My large Florida rat snakes, on the other hand, have both
    UTH and regularly bask in their branches under a warming light. What I like most about rat snakes is that they aren't hiding much, & feeding is a breeze on f/t.
    (you can put away the blow-dryer, lol)

Thanks

I saw a picture of a snowflake corn snake I believe it was and it was so beautiful

Thanks

I would really love to have a leucistic ball python or a nice-looking piedbald but they tend to be a little pricey so I think I might just go along the lines of getting a white corn snake
    The ball python I have now has no feeding issues at all so by getting a corn snake that will make two snakes I don't have to worry about eating

Thanks

Or maybe a blizzard corn snake
    I also like the idea of having a snake that will get up on branches

Thanks

How difficult are the blizzard corn snakes to find it Expos and are they more pricey than other morphs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast