Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,237

1 members and 3,236 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Wood inside enclosures

Curious to know where you all get the right kind of wood (as clutter) for your ball python enclosures. I have a piece of driftwood in my yard but I have no idea what kind of tree it came from. For those of you who use driftwood, how to do you ensure it's not pine or cedar or something that can hurt your snake? I'd love to get my BP something to climb but I'm hopeless at identifying trees and I don't want to grab the wrong thing from outside.

Also wondering if wood molds in enclosures with high humidity, and how to prevent this if they do?

Thanks
    I know a lot of people prefer to bake wood in the oven to sanitize it and kill bugs and parasites. If it's in the oven you should be able to smell the aroma of pine or cedar. I heard if it has a strong aroma it's probably best to leave it. I think most hardwoods can be dangerous for reptiles.

Thanks

Re: Wood inside enclosures

Noted, thanks! I definitely plan to bake any wood I use. When you said "hardwood" (oak, birch, cherry, beech, ash...etc.) is harmful did you mean "softwood" (pine, cedar, fir...etc.?).

Thanks
    I buy pieces of driftwood from pet stores. In the past I used a piece of wood from my yard (I live in the woods) that we had sanitized in the oven, but I just feel safer using wood that I know was specifically produced to be used with reptiles. I've never had my wood grow mold or anything like that... If you're worried about something like that, some pet stores also have fake plastic pieces of wood (if you can't find any near the reptile supplies, check by the decorations for fish.)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to royalreilly For This Useful Post:

Luvyna (01-13-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Luvyna View Post
    Noted, thanks! I definitely plan to bake any wood I use. When you said "hardwood" (oak, birch, cherry, beech, ash...etc.) is harmful did you mean "softwood" (pine, cedar, fir...etc.?).
    My thought also.

Thanks
    Whoops! Sorry, yes I mean softwood. Thanks for spotting that.

Also be sure it has no pesticides on it.
    Last edited by 55fingers; 01-13-2019 at 02:28 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 55fingers For This Useful Post:

Luvyna (01-13-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by royalreilly View Post
    I buy pieces of driftwood from pet stores. In the past I used a piece of wood from my yard (I live in the woods) that we had sanitized in the oven, but I just feel safer using wood that I know was specifically produced to be used with reptiles. I've never had my wood grow mold or anything like that... If you're worried about something like that, some pet stores also have fake plastic pieces of wood (if you can't find any near the reptile supplies, check by the decorations for fish.)
    This sounds like a good alternative, it's probably what I'll go with to be on the safe side.

I might also get some wood from trimmings of the cherry tree in my backyard since I'm sure of what kind of tree that is, and that it has no pesticides.

Thanks
    I grabbed a nice gingko brunch cut from a neighborhood tree. I'm hoping to bake it then use it as a climbing branch for my BP. I haven't seen any climbing branches like this at the pet store, and my guy often tries to climb his thermometer, so I'd love to give him something more substantial.

Anybody have experience or thoughts on gingko in BP enclosures?