Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,185

2 members and 3,183 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Ball Python Ceramic Heat and Lighting Question

Hello! I don't use this forum often. In fact the last time I used it was a year and a half ago! My husbandry back then had a lot of flaws but it's greatly improved since then so please don't look back at my history and judge me lol.

My question is: If I'm using a ceramic heat emitter for my BP, is ambient light from the windows during the day enough light for him to maintain a day/night cycle? My terrarium is on a desk by a small window (but not in direct sunlight) and I have 2 other large windows on a different wall in my room. The curtains are always open.

Info on my current set up: I have a large exo-terra terrarium (I think the large wide?) I have a uth and a thermostat, but my room gets rather cold in the winter, so I also have a lamp above the hot side. I recently upgraded my entire set up. I used to have a fish tank and I used heat lamps (the light bulb type) overhead. The lamps were always on, which I now know isn't great for a BP. So I decided to switch him to a ceramic bulb. He has a hot end and a cool end. Unfortunately I don't have any pics of the current set-up. I live in a dorm and my BP is currently at my parents' house. I get to visit about once a month and he is MY snake but my parents and sister currently care for him. I will be moving back home in May.

Thank you for your help!

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Short answer...yes, the light from the windows is plenty.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

royalreilly (01-12-2019)

Thanks
    It should be fine with light from the windows only. Honestly BPs in the wild probably don't see much light anyway. They are underground during the day and hunt at night. Any light is probably supplementry. But it can probably help with feeding response when you turn the light off before feeding at night.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 55fingers For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (01-12-2019),royalreilly (01-12-2019)