As of now the temperature in my ball python's 15 gallon terrarium on the surface of the aspen substrate averages out at 80-83 degrees (All degrees are in Fahrenheit) on the warm side. I know this is too low for the hot side of the tank, so I intend to increase the temperature somehow.

I do have a thermostat and it's probe is currently inside the tank, rested against the glass (I know there is some controversy over probe placement, I may move it later but now I want to focus on fixing the temps). The thermostat is set to 93 degrees, and I've found that my heating pad does reach those temps right on the glass. I want to make sure that my snake has the right temps so it can thrive, and for that I've heard the warm side of the tank must be 90 degrees on the substrate.

Should I increase my thermostat temps in order to increase the surface temps of the substrate? If I did the glass would get VERY hot, and could burn my snake if it buries into the substrate (It hasn't yet, but she's still new). On the other hand, I have to reach the right temps somehow.

Thank you for any advice.