Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,007

0 members and 2,007 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2

Thread: F/T Feeders

Registered User Mc.mischievous7's Avatar
    Thanks

F/T Feeders

How long can one keep F/T feeders in the freezer? Or suggest on how long they should be kept in the freezer.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: F/T Feeders

Quote Originally Posted by Mc.mischievous7 View Post
    How long can one keep F/T feeders in the freezer? Or suggest on how long they should be kept in the freezer.

Vacuum sealed from a reputable source 1-2 years, but 2 years is pushing it. I say, 1-1.5 years pretty easily. I say 1-1.5 years because as you will see below, that assumes up to 6 months of freezer life after you open the seal. If you have ten BP's and were going to open a 10-pack of rats and feed all at once, I would say 2 year sealed is fine.

The reputable sources I use are Big Cheese Rodent Factory and Perfect Prey, but there are others.

Once the seal on that bag is opened, and assuming the feeders are then kept in sealed (not vacuum sealed) "Freezer" approved ziplock style bags (I usually double or triple bag - especially with rats as the nails are sharp and tend to poke or rip holes in bag 1), only opened weekly or so, and air pushed out properly, etc. UP TO 6 months.

Two thoughts on this.

1. When I get an order of F/T Rodents in, I use a permanent marker and date all the prey packs. I have 6 snakes and a freezer (chest) 3/4 full of F/T prey. I need to use up old first (FIFO) and then new. Secondly, when I open a pack, and transfer to a bag, or bags, I date that immediately as well. That way if I don't use it up in time (rare in this house), it gets tossed and not offered after 6 months.

2. Some snakes seem picker than others. The 6 months rule, assuming everything else is done right and the prey were fresh when they arrived, is more about freshness than safety. I would say for safety issues, you could go a little longer.

BP's are more known for refusing older prey items (another excuse to refuse food), where as colubrids, and Boas, for example, are a lot less picky. If I have one rat left in a 5 month old bag, and I have to feed my BCI and my BP that day, and I therefore need to open and a new rat pack, the BP gets the fresh rat and the BCI gets the 5 month old rat. Again, not any more dangerous for her, but she doesn't care. She strikes with the same zest and frankly, I don't think she gives it much thought. My BP, properly thinks about it and is less likely to refuse a fresh rat.

"Food" for thought?

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (01-12-2019),Lord Sorril (01-11-2019),Sonny1318 (01-12-2019)

Registered User Mc.mischievous7's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: F/T Feeders

Thanks for responding. I think you made some valid points. My new bp won't be able to eat the frozen rats that I purchased 2 months ago because the feeders are way to big for him to eat atm. I did have another snake before the one I got now. But unfortunately he isnt with me anymore. So I got a new one and hes a baby BP that eats rat pups. So I was just thinking about the feeders I had in my freezer. I so have them in a ziplock bag. I will keep them in the freezer and hope they dont go bad by the time my BP are able to eat them. Thanks again for your advice.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    In my opinion I think a year is long enough. Personally six to eight months for me. And yes I believe they could go longer no problem. But after a year, I think is a little much. This is based on vacuum sealed bags. Again just my two cents, Peace.
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonny1318 For This Useful Post:

Mc.mischievous7 (01-14-2019)