Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,007

3 members and 3,004 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Hybrid View

Thanks

Question Keeping humidity consistent

So I’ve been struggling with my humidity, I have a hygrometer with the probe and everything so I’m getting the right info , I’m using coconut husk fiber with green moss in a tank . but even when i
    mist after a couple hours with my day ttime light the humidity keeps dropping to like 30% , so I tried putting paper towel over the screen top , and it stays about 50% but slowly with that light drops , at night time when I use my heat pad the humidity is about 63% . Any suggestions in the day time what I should do Beacsue she has been hiding recently and as soon as night time came and my humidity was 60% she’s been very active , but in the day it just keeps dropping , and my temps are hot side 30-32 and cool side is about 25-27

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Re: Keeping humidity consistent

Quote Originally Posted by Vinc View Post
    So I’ve been struggling with my humidity, I have a hygrometer with the probe and everything so I’m getting the right info , I’m using coconut husk fiber with green moss in a tank . but even when i
    mist after a couple hours with my day ttime light the humidity keeps dropping to like 30% , so I tried putting paper towel over the screen top , and it stays about 50% but slowly with that light drops , at night time when I use my heat pad the humidity is about 63% . Any suggestions in the day time what I should do Beacsue she has been hiding recently and as soon as night time came and my humidity was 60% she’s been very active , but in the day it just keeps dropping , and my temps are hot side 30-32 and cool side is about 25-27
    If you have a screen / mesh top the best way I found to keep the humidity in is to put a piece of plastic or perspex over the mesh and tape the sides down .

A piece of polythene , cut to size and fitted in the top of the screen would help ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Vinc (01-11-2019)

Thanks

Re: Keeping humidity consistent

Also, you don't need a "day time light". That's zapping your humidity, as well. The light is strictly for your viewing pleasure as he (your bally) gets nothing from it. He doesn't require UVA/UVB like some other reptiles. In fact, he'd prefer his enclosure to be on the "darker side", if you will. If you keep the light off you'll see an increase in your humidity and it should start to stabilize. Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 667 Posts
    HeAt tape has worked well for me. The type used to tape down heat mats I use it on the outside of the cage please no tape in a cage. It covers gents and holes well.

I also use a sport water bottle w the nozzle and I trickle water over the substrate in the front areas /lip of the cage where the animals isn’t often tower an area all across rather than misting. I find misting just goes away fast
    1.0 - Cinnamon Banana Ball Python (Thunder)
    1.0 - Yellow Belly High White Pied Ball Python (Pretty Fly For A White Guy)
    0.1 - Cinnamon GHI Ball Python (Leslie Snipes)
    1.0 - Dumerils Boa (Sushi)
    0.1 - Caye Caulker Boa (Lady Liberty)
    0.0.? - Mandarin Rat Snake (Bumble)
    1.0 - Mexican Black King (Rico Suave)
    1.0 - Black Tail Cribo (Goldar)
    0.1 - Jaguar Carpet Python (Cookie)
    1.0 - Vietnamese Blue Beauty (Elsa)
    1.0 - Green Tree Python (Banner)
    0.2 - Yellow/Quince Monitors (Blanche & Dorothy)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Keeping humidity consistent

Buy a small heat pad and put it under the enclosure where the water bowl is. All you need is a 4-8 watt.. wont cost anything in electric. Heated water works wonders. My home is 30% and my enclosures 60% once water is heated from my RHP or Heat Mat/Tape etc.
    PS: you need to keep the screen covered all the time. You can use Tin Foil or like I did when I used tanks Plexiglass from LOWES or Home Depo cut to the size. I had to use 2 pieces to equal 4’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CALM Pythons; 01-11-2019 at 01:27 PM.
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks
    Is your hydrometer under a heat lamp? If it is, it could give false readings since the heat lamp tends to dry up the substrate. It's best to have thermometers and hydrometers thoughout the tank for accurate readings. I'd cover the top with cardboard and plastic wrap 75% so that it doesnt block the bulb light. Placing the water dish under the heat source also will increase humidity, and I'd switch to an infrared, moonlight, or CHE bulb since the day light isn't necessary unless the room is dark in the day or you live in an area with really short day periods. What size of tank is he in?
    Last edited by Taying; 01-11-2019 at 11:19 PM.