Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,092

0 members and 3,092 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Ways to raise ambient temps in a tub?

Hi everyone, this is my first post here and I hope this is in the right board! If not please let me know.

I am brand new to owning reptiles and just got my first ball python a few days ago. I am currently having some trouble with the ambient temps on the cool side of my tub.

Here is my set up so far:

- 30 gallon Sterilite tub (it's the deeper kind, not the ones that are around 6 inches tall)
    - Forest Floor cypress mulch substrate
    - ZooMed UTH on warm side regulated with a Jumpstart thermostat (infrared gun shows surface under substrate in the warm hide fluctuates between 86-93F throughout the day)
    - Surface temps under cool hide (placed in the middle of the tub, not at the true cool end) range from 77-84F throughout the day
    - Surface temps at the real cool end are 70F
    - Ambient temp is around 77F on the warm side and 70-74F on the cool end (measured by cheap thermometer in the tub).

I have been keeping an oil heater next to the tub to keep the ambient temperatures up since my house is usually pretty cool (68-70F) and I think that has been keeping the areas where the BP stays (middle and warm end hides) warmer but the tub is in my bedroom so I've been finding the heat uncomfortable. The oil heater also has not helped much with the temps on the cool end of the tub, possibly because my house doesn't have the greatest insulation and that end is next to one of the outer walls of the house and near a window.

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for how to heat the ambient temps in a plastic tub to the right level without requiring heating the entire room to the same temperature, or at very least how I can prevent the cool side of the tub from losing so much heat. I'm worried that my snake will get an RI from the cool end of the tub. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Re: Ways to raise ambient temps in a tub?

hello! welcome!

to start: try a smaller tub? how big is the snake?
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks

I'm embarrassed to say this but the snake is a 4 month old baby! I know he definitely should be in a smaller tub, I was planning on getting a 1 year old+ or adult snake but ended up falling for this one when I went to the breeder.

If I got a lower (and smaller!) tub would I be able to lower the ambient temp in the room and rely on the UTH more for heating the tub?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Luvyna View Post
    I'm embarrassed to say this but the snake is a 4 month old baby! I know he definitely should be in a smaller tub, I was planning on getting a 1 year old+ or adult snake but ended up falling for this one when I went to the breeder.

If I got a lower (and smaller!) tub would I be able to lower the ambient temp in the room and rely on the UTH more for heating the tub?
    why be embarrassed?!??! never be embarrassed or too shy to ask questions, friend! babies r so cute!

a smaller enclosure (tub) means less you need to control; a smaller tub will be much easier to heat and regulate. you might still need supplemental heating, but a low watt (regulated) CHE on a proper stand would be perfect.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-11-2019),Luvyna (01-11-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

You can also surround three sides of the tub with rigid insulation (Home Depot or Lowes) or foam board (craft store) just like you would a tank. That can help trap the heat in the tub as well.
    Other Snakes:
    Hudson 1988 1.0 Colombian rainbow; Yang 2002 1.0 Corn snake; Merlin 2000 1.0 Solomon Island ground boa; Kett 2015 1.0 Diamond Jungle Jaguar carpet python; Dakota 2014 0.0.1 Children’s python

Ball pythons:
    Eli 1990 1.0 Normal; Buttercup 2015 1.0 Albino; Artemis 2015 0.1 Dragonfly; Orion 2015 1.0 Banana Pinstripe; Button 2018 1.0 Blue Eyed Lucy; Piper 2018 0.1 Piebald; Belle 2018 0.1 Lemonblast; Sabrina 2017 0.1 Mojave; Selene 2017 0.1 Banana Mojave; Loki 2018 1.0 Pastel Mystic Potion; Cuervo 2018 1.0 Banana Piebald; Claude 2017 1.0 Albino Pastel Spider; Penelope 2016 0.1 Lesser

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-11-2019),Luvyna (01-11-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    why be embarrassed?!??! never be embarrassed or too shy to ask questions, friend! babies r so cute!

a smaller enclosure (tub) means less you need to control; a smaller tub will be much easier to heat and regulate. you might still need supplemental heating, but a low watt (regulated) CHE on a proper stand would be perfect.
    Thank you Taylor! Baby BPs really are adorable

That makes sense, I'll get a smaller tub set up this weekend. How do I safely install a CHE to a tub? I don't want the snake to be able to reach up and accidentally touch it or risk melting the plastic. Also would this cause any problems with humidity?

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    You can also surround three sides of the tub with rigid insulation (Home Depot or Lowes) or foam board (craft store) just like you would a tank. That can help trap the heat in the tub as well.
    Thanks for the tip! This sounds like it could be a good solution. So I'm assuming then I would poke holes through the insulation over the current holes on the tub to keep the ventilation?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Luvyna View Post
    ...If I got a lower (and smaller!) tub would I be able to lower the ambient temp in the room and rely on the UTH more for heating the tub?
    It's really hard to keep the necessary warmth in a snake tub/enclosure/or tank if the room itself is cool, as yours is. You might want to consider a wood cabinet
    (like from a thrift store perhaps) that the tub would fit inside of for best insulation. It's really important for BPs because they need higher temperatures (+ humidity) than
    many other snakes do. It's really best to get all this worked out & tested for a week before you bring a snake home so your snake doesn't get chilled & sick. -oops!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Luvyna (01-11-2019)

Thanks
    Thank you for the advice Bogertophis. I agree that everything should have been tested earlier and it's a mistake I will not make again. I really hope my BP won't get sick from this Looking to get it fixed asap!

I really like the idea of a box actually, are there any tutorials for how to do this? What should I use to heat the box, and how do I properly ventilate it? Should the tub be made to allow the snake to get some daylight?

Thanks
    I have a 60 watt CHE pointing at the cool side of my BP's tub and it keeps the ambient temperature where I want it. I also siliconed 1/2 foam board insulation to 3 sides of his tub.

I have a Herpstat controlling the UTH and the CHE, so I can dial down the maximum power to the CHE to 80% which keeps the tub plastic from getting too hot. If I couldn't do this, I would probably cut a hole in the top of the tub and install some screening and then mount the CHE above the screen, but not touching it.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ryknoll3 For This Useful Post:

el-pietro (10-12-2021),Luvyna (01-11-2019)

Thanks

Thanks for the input! I've been trying to work out a solution for my tub and right now I think adding a CHE over a hole and wire mesh on the lid and insulating the sides may work best, especially since there are a few tutorials out there and many examples of people who have done it successfully.

Would you be able to take a photo and or describe how you set up your CHE heating and insulation? How tall is your tub and how did you keep the ventilation going with the insulation? Also would a Jumpstart thermostat work with a CHE?