Hi everyone, this is my first post here and I hope this is in the right board! If not please let me know.

I am brand new to owning reptiles and just got my first ball python a few days ago. I am currently having some trouble with the ambient temps on the cool side of my tub.

Here is my set up so far:

- 30 gallon Sterilite tub (it's the deeper kind, not the ones that are around 6 inches tall)
- Forest Floor cypress mulch substrate
- ZooMed UTH on warm side regulated with a Jumpstart thermostat (infrared gun shows surface under substrate in the warm hide fluctuates between 86-93F throughout the day)
- Surface temps under cool hide (placed in the middle of the tub, not at the true cool end) range from 77-84F throughout the day
- Surface temps at the real cool end are 70F
- Ambient temp is around 77F on the warm side and 70-74F on the cool end (measured by cheap thermometer in the tub).

I have been keeping an oil heater next to the tub to keep the ambient temperatures up since my house is usually pretty cool (68-70F) and I think that has been keeping the areas where the BP stays (middle and warm end hides) warmer but the tub is in my bedroom so I've been finding the heat uncomfortable. The oil heater also has not helped much with the temps on the cool end of the tub, possibly because my house doesn't have the greatest insulation and that end is next to one of the outer walls of the house and near a window.

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for how to heat the ambient temps in a plastic tub to the right level without requiring heating the entire room to the same temperature, or at very least how I can prevent the cool side of the tub from losing so much heat. I'm worried that my snake will get an RI from the cool end of the tub. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!