Hello! New here, but I love this community and these forums have answered a lot of questions for me! However, I feel like I’m reading a lot of mixed signals from various threads/sources, so i wanted to explain my EXACT situation in the hopes one of you wonderful snake parents can help me. Is there something wrong with my BP or am I just a worried mom?

I adopted my noodle not even 5 days ago(it is Thursday and I got her Saturday). I got her from my cousin who I trust completely and has owned snakes in the past. She is a 3 year old beautiful BP who has been taken care of well and is very chill. I did about 2 weeks of deep research (including visiting reptile stores and speaking to people about them face to face) before i even brought her home and have tried to make sure she is healthy, safe, and HAPPY as possible. But I have noticed a couple things I think might be odd-
they are barely noticeable and wouldn’t even show up in a pic but I’ve noticed the following: Her skin seems slightly loose (it seems to kind of mush out a bit when she slides around- is this just the pressure of her own weight?), skin has a very light kind of a reflective gloss (but not noticeably DULL like what they say for a pre-shed), her belly has also felt kind of sticky and soft? Not very sticky, but just has this moist feel to it as opposed to her back skin. Plus some behavior things I’ll share below. None of these side effects seem drastic, but if anything seem like they could be WARNING signs of something starting to go bad? No other symptoms like stuff in her nose and she hasn’t pooped that i’ve seen since I got her but that’s probably cause she only ate 2 days ago (will explain what she ate later).

Her set up is exactly this: plastic tub (a larger size about 20 gallon) with small holes drilled in it, Forest Floor cyprus substrate as I read it holds humidity well. Large UTH on one side hooked up to a thermostat that is set to keep the bottom about 92°- the probe is in the correct placement and she has not moved it (I’ve checked) and there is a cool side of the tank without the UTH. She spends an equal amount on each side, maybe even a little more on the cool side. Perfect sized cave-like hides on each side. A sturdy log she can climb for fun- which she does- and she has a large water dish big enough for her to curl in if she wanted to, but not excessively large. Fake branches on all sides and one side against wall so she doesn’t feel exposed- very neat set up I think!

I was worried then that maybe the AMBIENT air in her cage was cold because it is a larger box and the UTH is only on the bottom and sometimes my apartment temperature can be kind of cool (I live in LA though, so it probably never really drops below 70 in my room and her cage must be warmer than that?) but even to be safe the past couple days I have made sure to put the heater on if it does cool down in the house (remember she mostly hangs out on the cool side so I don’t think she’s cold right?) Because I was nervous, I got a heatlamp as well to test out- it is elevated on a sturdy stand 8” above so it won’t burn the plastic- 75W purple reptile heating bulb. but even this, I have connected to a thermostat and the probe is inside her cage set to about 76° (i know this might be low, but remember also the UTH floor temp of 92, should the lamp still be higher than 76 maybe? i don’t want it to be too hot). I also have a hygrometer on the back wall (on the inside of the cage don’t worry) that is elevated from the floor so she can’t move it, pee on it, get wet, etc and I am constantly checking that it is between 50-60%, usually it is on the higher end like 56%- I mist at least once a day. Could this hygrometer be inaccurate? however, i’ve just noticed since i’ve turned the heat lamp on 3 hours ago, it has dropped to 45%, so i’ve misted it back up and turned off the heatlamp for now (can i turn it back on? and then just keep misting more and more since it dries it out?). SO just in case, I ALSO just ordered a digital thermostat/hygrometer so that I can be 100% certain of the ambient temps/humidity as well as a temp gun to measure surface temps. Could it be too cold though because of my bedroom temp?

She ate 2 days ago and took to it so easily I was shocked- not picky at all. I barely even had to make the freshly killed small rat dance before she latched right onto it- from the store (she is a large girl at 3 yrs and the small rat made just the tiniest bulge in her belly so I think it was the right size relative to her body- correct me if I should feed her more or less. The reptile store offered to freshly kill a live feeder for me rather than frozen- the people there seemed kind and knowledge in reptiles).

I’ve also noticed she seems very active and not timid like I’ve heard ball pythons are supposed to be. It’s mostly while I handled her today (but she is also pretty active at night slithering around her cage and crawling over stuff like her vines and poking her head to the top of the cage- does this mean she’s uncomfortable and looking for a way out???). I don’t handle her too much and definitely not once after eating 2 days ago to upset her stomach. but when I handle her, she doesn’t tense up or try to get away from me at all. she just hangs onto me and extends her neck upwards or outwards towards certain things like she’s “sniffing around” or curious and her tongue is very often flickering like a madman- which I read means they’re comfortable and curious as it’s how they sense changes in the air or something. She seems to actually enjoy rubbing along me (i have a very warm skin temp for a hooman) and hanging onto me while she “explores” with her head- I stay very still and kind of just support her neck when she looks around and let her body hold my arm and let her do whatever she wants. Is this friendly/happy behavior?? I read somewhere it actually means she’s stressed out and that she should be balled up and timid?? I’m so confused, because it seems to me like she actually enjoys it, but people online are like “your snake HATES being held! Leave them alone ALWAYS!”. Obviously I wouldn’t handle her every day- probably more once MAYBE twice a week if I really can’t keep my hands off her.

I notice every little thing about her (in total: slightly stretchy skin, lightly glossy look in some areas, “outgoing” behavior?) but I just can’t tell if she’s okay or not?! And I read a lot of contradictory things and some people make certain things seem MUCH bigger deals than others and I just want her to be absolutely spoiled and as healthy and content as a little noodle could ever possibly be- spare no expense! Am I just overly worried or could she be too cold? too hot? too humid? not humid enough? Also keeping in mind she’s only been with me 5 days so I would never let these symptoms draw out, which is why I’m so desperate for an answer if she is in trouble or if I’m paranoid!

Thank you for your patience with this long post and please please let me know what you think- even if you have to tell me I’m a complete idiot and have gotten everything wrong! I have MINIMAL experience as a reptile mom, but I love my slippery little friend very much already and only want the best for her.