Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,792

0 members and 1,792 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Got Mites? Ok. Whattabout Ticks?

ok this just made my skin crawl. check out this poor wild Carpet Python found in a swimming pool in the land down under. i'm glad it was found by someone who knows snakes. it will also be getting treatment and hopefully bounces back.

hopefully this is a reminder of wild herps, prey and the bush.

story here including vid and pix: https://au.news.yahoo.com/snake-catc...061238731.html
    Snake catcher's skin-crawling find in backyard pool

An experienced snake catcher has attended a shocking call out which he said made his stomach turn, retrieving a python covered in “hundreds of paralysis ticks”.

The carpet python was soaking in a pool when Tony and Brooke Harrison arrived to the home in the Gold Coast suburb of Coolangatta on Thursday.

“That’s why he’s in the water. He’s trying to drown them. They’re all over his body,” snake catcher Tony Harrison can be heard saying in a video uploaded to Facebook.

Mr Harrison said he had never seen anything like it.

“I’ve done this for 26 years and this is the worst I’ve ever seen,” he says as he’s holding the reptile’s head out of the water.

The snake had successfully drowned some of the parasites with a number of them seen floating in the pool.

“That’s making my stomach turn, that’s so freakin feral,” the snake catcher adds.

Facebook users were also shocked by the parasites covering the python.

“That breaks my heart,” one person commented.

“That’s horrible. Poor little guy,” said another.

“Holy moly that’s a lot,” a third user wrote.

The python has been taken to the Currumbin Wildlife Hospital where it is receiving treatment.

The snake catchers do believe the snake will survive, but responded to a comment on Facebook saying the ticks could have killed the python.

Yahoo7 has reached out to the wildlife hospital for an update on the reptile’s condition.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-10-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    Very disturbing! Lucky snake to have chosen the right place & people to be found by!

One of the BPs I got many years ago as an unwanted rescue was a w/c imported 5' female that had a countless # of ticks all over her body. No mites, just
    ticks, & the owners had her for nearly a year they said & "never realized they were ticks"! Just thought they were scales...(there wasn't many on her face
    like the one above though) She kept me busy picking them off for hours... Poor snakes in the wild...they need more "free clinics".

Thanks

Re: Got Mites? Ok. Whattabout Ticks?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Very disturbing! Lucky snake to have chosen the right place & people to be found by!

One of the BPs I got many years ago as an unwanted rescue was a w/c imported 5' female that had a countless # of ticks all over her body. No mites, just
    ticks, & the owners had her for nearly a year they said & "never realized they were ticks"! Just thought they were scales...(there wasn't many on her face
    like the one above though) She kept me busy picking them off for hours... Poor snakes in the wild...they need more "free clinics".
    Another who proves that people should have to take a test before owning an animal.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MR Snakes For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-10-2019)