Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,366

4 members and 3,362 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,537
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Question How many pinkies can my ball python eat do you think?

My ball python was hatched on Aug 12th 2018. Normally he eats 1 medium mouse every 5 days.

My rat gave birth, but idk how they will temper well as they age so I'm debating on culling a few by feeding them to my snake. o-o
    (Was not expecting this and the male rat isn't breeding worthy) -__-

How many do you think he will be able to eat? His feeding day is tomorrow!

Thanks
    I would not do more than 2-3. You want the total meal to be similar to what he was eating. If you have a scale, you can weigh what he was eating, then weigh a pinky to see what number is equivilant. You can wait and feed off others the next week, but they will quickly outgrow the size you are currently feeding your BP. You want the meal to be similar to the widest part of the girth of the BP.

I hope you have removed the male from the female already..preferably before she gave birth..or she could be pregnant again.

You may also need to look into humane methods to euthanize the offspring so that you can freeze them and feed the BP frozen/thawed. If you go that route, you will want to euthanize them at the size you think he will be eating.

Humane ways to euthanize rodents include gassing with CO2 (if done correctly) and cervical dislocation (again, if done correctly). Very very young pinkies can take longer to die from CO2 gassing (due to high tolerance for low oxygen levels) so gassing them is not recommended. You will want to look on the feeders / rodents sub forum to see old threads on how to humanely euthanize rodents.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

Anns (01-10-2019),Bogertophis (01-10-2019)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You need to wait until they are the size of the medium mouse you are feeding, do you know the weight of your BP at this stage it will eat fuzzy or Pup, feeding Fuzzy rats to a BP unless it's out of the egg and even than that's a bit small is just not something I would do, pinkies are just watery/fatty blob, remember calcium is also an important part of your snake diet and the young the prey the less calcium.
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Anns (01-10-2019)

Thanks

Re: How many pinkies can my ball python eat do you think?

Thank you both!

Lol a blob just won't do!

Also the male was rehomed weeks ago after I figured he was no good for breeding, but he got to her before I did.