Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,894

1 members and 2,893 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

BP Tub Setup Advice

Hello!

I just moved into a small town home for college, and had to transfer my ball python into a tub. Unfortunately, I didn't have the room (or furniture strong enough) to support bringing her full Exo Terra enclosure with me (it was a Large Low). I went to multiple stores and wound up buying a 56 qt (I believe?) tub complete with locking sides and a dryer sheet holder (free ventilation!). I had to modify her plastic hide slightly and cut pieces out of the sides to accommodate for the wheel wells on the bottom of the tub, and bought her a more shallow ceramic water dish to help with humidity. She currently resides under my bed with a 10/20gal UTH controlled by a Jump Start thermostat, set to 92 degrees F. I check her temperature gradient multiple times a week using an infrared thermometer when I take her out to stretch. I also have a digital thermometer/hygrometer set on the side her hide is on, and have been able to successfully keep the humidity between 45-55% while she was on paper towels. My question, however, comes in here. A few hours ago I decided to try putting her back on Forest Floor due to the fact that she kept tearing up her thermostat probe and moving it around (I don't want her to wind up getting burned). I currently have the probe inserted right under the top layer of shavings in the hope that it'll stay put when she gets the bedding packed down, which worked well for her previous enclosure. My current concern has to do with the level of moisture that FF holds out of the bag, which is going to create a long and lasting spike in humidity until it dries out completely. I've considered trying to dry it out with a blow dryer, but am now wondering if I should stick with the paper towels instead (I don't want to open her up for a RI). SO, if you guys have had any experience with tub systems, it would be incredibly appreciated! This is my first attempt at using tubs personally, and could use some tips and tricks if they're available. For instance, if I should go back to paper towels, is there a good way to make sure she doesn't move the thermostat probe off of her heat source, and if I can continue using FF, would it be better if I leave the bag open for a while beforehand to dry it out?

Any other suggestions are also welcomed! Sorry about the novel - I wanted to be as descriptive of my setup as possible. She's been my little rescue for close to three years now, and I'm very much open to continuing to learn and improve my husbandry. Thanks!

P.S. Her name is Venus, and she's a little over 4ft long now and is currently keeping her summer food stores VERY well (little chub chub). I'll do my best to post pics once I figure out how!

Thanks

Re: BP Tub Setup Advice

Last edited by LBrim1210; 02-07-2019 at 03:52 PM. Reason: adding another image

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    The thermostat probe should be sandwiched between the UTH and the bottom of the tub, not placed in the tub where your snake can move it off of the heat.

Otherwise it looks fine.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (02-07-2019),LBrim1210 (02-07-2019),MissterDog (02-07-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    The thermostat probe should be sandwiched between the UTH and the bottom of the tub, not placed in the tub where your snake can move it off of the heat.

Otherwise it looks fine.
    ^ this.

the thermostat probe stays on the outside as BCR describes; it's the thermometer probe that stays on the inside. here is POTP's very helpful illustration:

use the substrate that works best for u. if u prefer FF, use it. u can dry it out as u describe or maybe put it on a cookie sheet and dry it out in the oven a lil bit.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

Thanks

Ax01 - Interesting! Thank you for the diagram, as well! I had honestly never considered/heard of putting the probe between the mat and the enclosure. I had always assumed that the enough of the heat would disperse into the glass/plastic that it would render the reading innacurate to what's inside the tank. In that case, I figure that I should simply keep an eye on the internal temperature and turn the thermostat setting up a few degrees as needed to maintain the correct numbers?
    Last edited by LBrim1210; 02-07-2019 at 08:14 PM.

Thanks

Smile Re: BP Tub Setup Advice

bcr229 - Thank you!

Ax01 confirmed and elaborated on your answer a little. Now I understand what to do!
    Last edited by LBrim1210; 02-07-2019 at 08:13 PM.