Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 473

1 members and 472 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Adult Male Burm Size?

Hey all.

I'm looking to see some pictures from anyone who has adult male burms. I'm not too likely to get one myself as I think they're just too big for me (right now, if not forever), but I'd love to see how big they actually are; particularly males. Almost everywhere I look online, I see pics of small juveniles, adult females, or very large wild caught fenale Florida burms in the news.

I have a hard time translating numerical length to the size, especially since girth varies a lot by species, so I'm hoping pictures help out.

Can anyone share some pics of adult males?
    And what size enclosures you prefer for them?

Thanks!
    Looking forward to learning some more about these beautiful snakes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Well - in truth is it all depends on how you feed it (overfed, moderate fed, or slow grow), and which subspecies.

The mainland (Python bivittatus bivittatus) male - is sexual mature at about 7 feet. Now it is possible to feed it so the male reachs that size in 2 to 5 years. And all could be considered to be healthy indviduals. On the other hand - I heard of slow grown male that are 10 years old, and only about 9-10 feet long. But I have also heard of males which are 9-10 feet long and about 3 years old. Ultimately - It is possible for a 20-25 year old male to be anywhere between 11-16 feet - it all really depends on how it is cared for it and feed it.

By comparison - the Dwarf Burmese Python(Python bivittatus progschai) males reach sexual maturity at about 4.5 feet in length. Adult males will tend to average about 5-5.5 feet. And they max out at about 6.5 feet. However the Dwarfs are very rare here in the United States, and those that are found tend to be very temperamental (as they are usually on 1 or 2 generations from wild caught).
    Last edited by Krj2501; 01-09-2019 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Update info

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Krj2501 For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (01-10-2019)

Thanks

Re: Adult Male Burm Size?

Quote Originally Posted by Krj2501 View Post
    Well - in truth is it all depends on how you feed it (overfed, moderate fed, or slow grow), and which subspecies.

The mainland (Python bivittatus bivittatus) male - is sexual mature at about 7 feet. Now it is possible to feed it so the male reachs that size in 2 to 5 years. And all could be considered to be healthy indviduals. On the other hand - I heard of slow grown male that are 10 years old, and only about 9-10 feet long. But I have also heard of males which are 9-10 feet long and about 3 years old. Ultimately - It is possible for a 20-25 year old male to be anywhere between 11-16 feet - it all really depends on how it is cared for it and feed it.

By comparison - the Dwarf Burmese Python(Python bivittatus progschai) males reach sexual maturity at about 4.5 feet in length. Adult males will tend to average about 5-5.5 feet. And they max out at about 6.5 feet. However the Dwarfs are very rare here in the United States, and those that are found tend to be very temperamental (as they are usually on 1 or 2 generations from wild caught).
    Thanks for the reply! That's kind of what I figured; I know retics are similar in that feeding is a high determining factor in size. I was just hoping someone could show some pictures with what the size of the snake was. I can't really picture what 11 foot vs 16 foot would look like compared to a person... I've not had the pleasure to see any in person except a large female (18-20' & 200+ lbs according to the presentation they gave).

Thanks
    I had a pair of breeders years ago. When talking size, I think if length with my retic I had, but what comes to mind with those burns was their weight. Very heavy bodied snakes. The male was probably 65 pounds, the female nearly twice that. Outweighed my late wife. Let me say...there is a lot of cleanup for snakes of that size. A lot.

BPnet Senior Member Hannahshissyfix's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 619 Posts

My almost 3 year old male is right at 10' and I think about 60lbs (haven't weighed him recently). I went with a moderate feeding schedule and still haven't switched him to rabbits or over sized meals. I prefer slow and steady growth for my snakes. He usually gets the few rats my BPs didn't want or a guinea pig or 2 depending on their size. Even at roughly 60lbs, that much dead weight feels heavier than you'd think and I really encourage anyone interested in a large snake to handle someone's and feel heavy it can be to get them out of an enclosure and into a box to clean a cat size dump up.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahshissyfix View Post
    My almost 3 year old male is right at 10' and I think about 60lbs (haven't weighed him recently). I went with a moderate feeding schedule and still haven't switched him to rabbits or over sized meals. I prefer slow and steady growth for my snakes. He usually gets the few rats my BPs didn't want or a guinea pig or 2 depending on their size. Even at roughly 60lbs, that much dead weight feels heavier than you'd think and I really encourage anyone interested in a large snake to handle someone's and feel heavy it can be to get them out of an enclosure and into a box to clean a cat size dump up.

Really, I'm not actually looking to get one. I'm pretty sure they are too big for me as-is.

Just wanted to see if anyone could share pics for scale of an adult male.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pretends2bnormal View Post
    Really, I'm not actually looking to get one. I'm pretty sure they are too big for me as-is.

Psh....that's what they all say .....(that's what I said too before getting my male albino, 100% granite). He's about six months though right now so I'm sure that's not what you're looking for.

Personally I like Youtube videos better...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asdqc3A4iIo&t=262s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50UpsPQepEs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VheDIHfdgc4

Picture a 10ft long pool noodle that weight 50lbs, and that's on the light side. lol
    Last edited by KevinK; 01-10-2019 at 03:55 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to KevinK For This Useful Post:

pretends2bnormal (01-10-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    Psh....that's what they all say .....(that's what I said too before getting my male albino, 100% granite). He's about six months though right now so I'm sure that's not what you're looking for.

Personally I like Youtube videos better...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asdqc3A4iIo&t=262s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50UpsPQepEs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VheDIHfdgc4

Picture a 10ft long pool noodle that weight 50lbs, and that's on the light side. lol
    Hahaha, thanks for the links! I'll have to check them out when I'm off work. Videos are sometimes tough to get a feel for scale due to odd camera angles, but most of what I had turned up when I looked were females or young snakes, lol.

Right now, I'm working on growing out my coastal carpet and boa, so once they're full grown and I get a feel for the larger non-giant snakes, I might reconsider... but we don't actually have space for 8' or larger cages, so it's probably off the table anyway, ha.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pretends2bnormal View Post

Here's a quality picture my 7 year old took for human comparison. We're all sick so try not to be distracted by my sexy outfit.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hannahshissyfix For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (01-12-2019),pretends2bnormal (01-10-2019)

Thanks

^ and again, he's less than 3 on a moderate feeding schedule so not full grown. He did slow down significantly the last few months but remember they technically keep growing their whole lives.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hannahshissyfix For This Useful Post:

pretends2bnormal (01-10-2019)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast