Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,029

2 members and 3,027 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Messy feeding stories?

Just had my first "Furred rat feeding."

My two eldest(Ball Pythons) finally have gotten large enough for me to feed weanlings too, well actually they have been there for a week or two but I had to finish off the other prey first.

So I fed my normal first she's the sweetheart of the bunch and will pretty much eat under any circumstance, given husbandry is correct.

She took like a charm with a little fur coming off(Reminded me of a chicken in a cartoon getting a scare LOL)

Regi Managed to tear the lower abdominal skin right off as he went to coil around the rat effectively showing me all of the rat's "Hidden Glory."

and then proceeded to be scared of it for a few minutes before proceeding to strike and consume it...(Its a rather interesting mess...)

Now for those concerned about the quality of the prey it is okay I think this happened due to

1. I left it to scent a bit too long under a heat lamp.
    2. I had too firm a grip on the feeding tongs as the rat was still in my tongs when he ripped the skin off...

So what are your rather messy feedings? If you have any?

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: Messy feeding stories?

Quote Originally Posted by VereMyth View Post
    So what are your rather messy feedings? If you have any?
    During feeding: my female blood python lunged out of her cage-bit my hand (holding the tongs), and I dropped a 3rd time refrozen jumbo rat (which exploded on contact with the floor). I reflexively used my damaged hand against the wall to steady myself as I was wrestling to get her back into her enclosure and I didn't notice how much I was bleeding. It looked like a crime scene when I was done...skin glue and paint ftw...
    *.* TNTC

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

I assume your feeding Frozen?
    It took me a couple different tries over the last few years to get this down.. i fed Live or Fresh Kill for about 30 years.... then when i was trying to switch no matter what I did the Rats were nasty, wet and messy after I thawed them out. My mistakes were, floating the plastic bag in to warm of water (thawed to quick) and having them facing face down in a large coffee can to thaw (blood ran out their noses). Now after a couple years I tried again taking the Rats out the morning of feeding. By 8pm they are completely room temp and dry, I then hit them with a Blow Dryer for about 3 min each.... by that time my Boy and Girls have their Noses Pushed against the glass doors waiting
    I had several disgusting, messy attempts before the last few months... it was a PITA. They were tearing the wet rats apart, and one of my girls who still constricts 50% of the time was squeezing the Guts out of them. This was making me clean enclosures 48hrs after feed day.... haven’t had a mess in months with my newest technique.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks

Ouch! Probably a bit more excitement then you wanted. xD

Thanks
    OK, now let's all eat breakfast!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CALM Pythons View Post
    I assume your feeding Frozen?
    It took me a couple different tries over the last few years to get this down.. i fed Live or Fresh Kill for about 30 years.... then when i was trying to switch no matter what I did the Rats were nasty, wet and messy after I thawed them out. My mistakes were, floating the plastic bag in to warm of water (thawed to quick) and having them facing face down in a large coffee can to thaw (blood ran out their noses). Now after a couple years I tried again taking the Rats out the morning of feeding. By 8pm they are completely room temp and dry, I then hit them with a Blow Dryer for about 3 min each.... by that time my Boy and Girls have their Noses Pushed against the glass doors waiting
    I had several disgusting, messy attempts before the last few months... it was a PITA. They were tearing the wet rats apart, and one of my girls who still constricts 50% of the time was squeezing the Guts out of them. This was making me clean enclosures 48hrs after feed day.... haven’t had a mess in months with my newest technique.

Aww gross! xD Sounds quite similar! Minus the missing and striking the skin right off. Still messy.

Typically my technique is alright but I held too tightly with the tongs
    Lucky regi is not an adult quite yet. Might rip an adult rat in half with how fragile it was lol(Bit of an exaggeration.)

Guess I should be glad I held off on putting new substrate in until tomorrow.

Yes I feed frozen though one of my snakes is still being slightly picky he took his first frozen the other week then decided not too this week and everything is right husbandry wise. So He is just going to wait until he gets hungry enough to eat again I guess. Makes me worry but he is not losing weight, in fact, he is gaining lol.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    Other than when the mouse/rat/rabbit gets ripped open, the messiest feedings I've encountered come from stillborn chicks that still have a bit of yolk attached. I can remove most of it, and the snakes will eat it, but whatever is left will sometimes get smeared on the substrate, or on a hide, etc. and the next day I'm greeted with a serious rotten egg smell from that enclosure or tub.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (01-09-2019)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VereMyth View Post
    Aww gross! xD Sounds quite similar! Minus the missing and striking the skin right off. Still messy.

Typically my technique is alright but I held too tightly with the tongs
    Lucky regi is not an adult quite yet. Might rip an adult rat in half with how fragile it was lol(Bit of an exaggeration.)

Guess I should be glad I held off on putting new substrate in until tomorrow.

Yes I feed frozen though one of my snakes is still being slightly picky he took his first frozen the other week then decided not too this week and everything is right husbandry wise. So He is just going to wait until he gets hungry enough to eat again I guess. Makes me worry but he is not losing weight, in fact, he is gaining lol.
    Ive had mine off for 7 months after they were 1.5 years old.. never loosing more than a few grams.. then back to eating like nothing happened hahaha.. drives me nuts but i have to tell myself thats all part of their nature.

Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks
    I’ve never had an incident until last week. My snake struck the rat and coiled it up and I thought I’d give the rats tail a few tugs to let him “kill it”. When I pulled the tail, all the skin came off and left a raw nub of cartridge and the torn skin in my fingers.

I’m not squeamish (or so I thought) but I had to walk outside for a few minutes and get my composure.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SVT Wylde For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-09-2019)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Aside from exploding rodents, back when I used to order F/T nothing special and I am sure you get the picture (gut everywhere in the tub on the snake etc)

Never had that issue feeding my own F/T
    Deborah Stewart

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast