Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 377

17 members and 360 guests
Most users ever online was 3,642, 05-08-2016 at 09:50 AM.


» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 63,112
Threads: 236,660
Posts: 2,456,092
Top Poster: JLC (31,652)
Welcome to our newest member, EmalieRaye0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Registered User VereMyth's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-10-2018
    Location
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    Posts
    125
    Thanks
    48
    Thanked 40 Times in 27 Posts
    Images: 4

    Messy feeding stories?

    Just had my first "Furred rat feeding."

    My two eldest(Ball Pythons) finally have gotten large enough for me to feed weanlings too, well actually they have been there for a week or two but I had to finish off the other prey first.

    So I fed my normal first she's the sweetheart of the bunch and will pretty much eat under any circumstance, given husbandry is correct.

    She took like a charm with a little fur coming off(Reminded me of a chicken in a cartoon getting a scare LOL)

    Regi Managed to tear the lower abdominal skin right off as he went to coil around the rat effectively showing me all of the rat's "Hidden Glory."

    and then proceeded to be scared of it for a few minutes before proceeding to strike and consume it...(Its a rather interesting mess...)

    Now for those concerned about the quality of the prey it is okay I think this happened due to

    1. I left it to scent a bit too long under a heat lamp.
    2. I had too firm a grip on the feeding tongs as the rat was still in my tongs when he ripped the skin off...

    So what are your rather messy feedings? If you have any?

  2. #2
    Registered User Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-05-2018
    Location
    Massachusetts - USA
    Posts
    281
    Thanks
    171
    Thanked 298 Times in 157 Posts

    Re: Messy feeding stories?

    Quote Originally Posted by VereMyth View Post
    So what are your rather messy feedings? If you have any?
    During feeding: my female blood python lunged out of her cage-bit my hand (holding the tongs), and I dropped a 3rd time refrozen jumbo rat (which exploded on contact with the floor). I reflexively used my damaged hand against the wall to steady myself as I was wrestling to get her back into her enclosure and I didn't notice how much I was bleeding. It looked like a crime scene when I was done...skin glue and paint ftw...
    *.* TNTC

  3. #3
    BPnet Veteran CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-31-2016
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,445
    Thanks
    2,739
    Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,149 Posts
    Images: 23

    Re: Messy feeding stories?

    I assume your feeding Frozen?
    It took me a couple different tries over the last few years to get this down.. i fed Live or Fresh Kill for about 30 years.... then when i was trying to switch no matter what I did the Rats were nasty, wet and messy after I thawed them out. My mistakes were, floating the plastic bag in to warm of water (thawed to quick) and having them facing face down in a large coffee can to thaw (blood ran out their noses). Now after a couple years I tried again taking the Rats out the morning of feeding. By 8pm they are completely room temp and dry, I then hit them with a Blow Dryer for about 3 min each.... by that time my Boy and Girls have their Noses Pushed against the glass doors waiting
    I had several disgusting, messy attempts before the last few months... it was a PITA. They were tearing the wet rats apart, and one of my girls who still constricts 50% of the time was squeezing the Guts out of them. This was making me clean enclosures 48hrs after feed day.... havenít had a mess in months with my newest technique.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

  4. #4
    Registered User VereMyth's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-10-2018
    Location
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    Posts
    125
    Thanks
    48
    Thanked 40 Times in 27 Posts
    Images: 4

    Re: Messy feeding stories?

    Ouch! Probably a bit more excitement then you wanted. xD

  5. #5
    Registered User MR Snakes's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-25-2018
    Location
    Rockbound coast of Maine, USA
    Posts
    2,056
    Thanks
    1,199
    Thanked 321 Times in 265 Posts
    OK, now let's all eat breakfast!

  6. #6
    Registered User VereMyth's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-10-2018
    Location
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    Posts
    125
    Thanks
    48
    Thanked 40 Times in 27 Posts
    Images: 4

    Re: Messy feeding stories?

    Quote Originally Posted by CALM Pythons View Post
    I assume your feeding Frozen?
    It took me a couple different tries over the last few years to get this down.. i fed Live or Fresh Kill for about 30 years.... then when i was trying to switch no matter what I did the Rats were nasty, wet and messy after I thawed them out. My mistakes were, floating the plastic bag in to warm of water (thawed to quick) and having them facing face down in a large coffee can to thaw (blood ran out their noses). Now after a couple years I tried again taking the Rats out the morning of feeding. By 8pm they are completely room temp and dry, I then hit them with a Blow Dryer for about 3 min each.... by that time my Boy and Girls have their Noses Pushed against the glass doors waiting
    I had several disgusting, messy attempts before the last few months... it was a PITA. They were tearing the wet rats apart, and one of my girls who still constricts 50% of the time was squeezing the Guts out of them. This was making me clean enclosures 48hrs after feed day.... havenít had a mess in months with my newest technique.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Aww gross! xD Sounds quite similar! Minus the missing and striking the skin right off. Still messy.

    Typically my technique is alright but I held too tightly with the tongs
    Lucky regi is not an adult quite yet. Might rip an adult rat in half with how fragile it was lol(Bit of an exaggeration.)

    Guess I should be glad I held off on putting new substrate in until tomorrow.

    Yes I feed frozen though one of my snakes is still being slightly picky he took his first frozen the other week then decided not too this week and everything is right husbandry wise. So He is just going to wait until he gets hungry enough to eat again I guess. Makes me worry but he is not losing weight, in fact, he is gaining lol.

  7. #7
    bcr229's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-18-2013
    Location
    Eastern WV Panhandle
    Posts
    7,749
    Thanks
    1,995
    Thanked 6,237 Times in 3,390 Posts
    Images: 12
    Other than when the mouse/rat/rabbit gets ripped open, the messiest feedings I've encountered come from stillborn chicks that still have a bit of yolk attached. I can remove most of it, and the snakes will eat it, but whatever is left will sometimes get smeared on the substrate, or on a hide, etc. and the next day I'm greeted with a serious rotten egg smell from that enclosure or tub.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

    CALM Pythons (01-09-2019)

  9. #8
    BPnet Veteran CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-31-2016
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,445
    Thanks
    2,739
    Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,149 Posts
    Images: 23

    Re: Messy feeding stories?

    Quote Originally Posted by VereMyth View Post
    Aww gross! xD Sounds quite similar! Minus the missing and striking the skin right off. Still messy.

    Typically my technique is alright but I held too tightly with the tongs
    Lucky regi is not an adult quite yet. Might rip an adult rat in half with how fragile it was lol(Bit of an exaggeration.)

    Guess I should be glad I held off on putting new substrate in until tomorrow.

    Yes I feed frozen though one of my snakes is still being slightly picky he took his first frozen the other week then decided not too this week and everything is right husbandry wise. So He is just going to wait until he gets hungry enough to eat again I guess. Makes me worry but he is not losing weight, in fact, he is gaining lol.
    Ive had mine off for 7 months after they were 1.5 years old.. never loosing more than a few grams.. then back to eating like nothing happened hahaha.. drives me nuts but i have to tell myself thats all part of their nature.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

  10. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-12-2018
    Posts
    40
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 20 Times in 15 Posts
    Iíve never had an incident until last week. My snake struck the rat and coiled it up and I thought Iíd give the rats tail a few tugs to let him ďkill itĒ. When I pulled the tail, all the skin came off and left a raw nub of cartridge and the torn skin in my fingers.

    Iím not squeamish (or so I thought) but I had to walk outside for a few minutes and get my composure.

  11. #10
    Telling it like it is! Deborah's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-28-2006
    Posts
    23,296
    Thanks
    5,739
    Thanked 17,731 Times in 8,434 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Images: 5
    Aside from exploding rodents, back when I used to order F/T nothing special and I am sure you get the picture (gut everywhere in the tub on the snake etc)

    Never had that issue feeding my own F/T

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1