Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,999

3 members and 1,996 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Handling a bp

Thanks

Re: Handling a bp

I know isn't that unbelievable?!?!
    I don't think you have to be a reptile veterinarian to know that something like that is just plain crazy
    Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    I literally still can't believe that happened LOL
    Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    I literally still can't believe that happened LOL
    That's what you get when you take your snek to "Making it up as we go Vet Clinic"!

Thanks

But who's right? Iv'e seen many different answers and idk which is right
    do the jah

Thanks

I think it depends on the indiv snake as for how much/often to handle
    BUT definately a couple days off to digest food properly

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Smile Re: Handling a bp

Quote Originally Posted by samsonact View Post
    Okay I'm asking this question for the future when I get my bp, how often can I handle a bp? And how should I handle it?

I've read that some people handle their's everyday and their snake is fine, but Iv'e also read that you should handle it only a couple times a week. I would love to have my bp on me 24/7 but that probably won't happen due to their nature. Idk I hope I get a snake who loves being held and loves giving/receiving attention.
    Honestly it depends on the snake. I’ve handle my ball python almost daily since I’ve got her at two months old. Some people say 1-2 a week or don’t touch them for a couple weeks after they settle in might be just a guideline. I usually don’t handle her until 24hrs after a meal if I do it’s quick like 3-5 minuets. My BP also don’t ball up or get frightened easy I can touch her head without a reaction. Once you learn your snake personality nothing else will matter.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Great question. Any new snake should NOT be handled for a couple weeks (sorry, I know it's torture for you) allowing them time to settle in & feed successfully*
    2 or preferably 3 times before you attempt ANY handling. There's a good reason for this: the only thing that picks up a snake in the wild is a predator about to
    eat him, so instinctively, this is frightening and a huge distraction from eating. Eating is the MOST important thing for a snake to survive & be healthy. Handling
    at first will stress your snake & stress is a negative influence on their immune system as well; just being in a new home is stressful enough, & if you over-stress
    a snake, it's more likely they may become ill from whatever they've been exposed to before you brought them home. So take it slow for best results...it's worth
    the better result. Even once you get past the first couple of feedings, don't over-do the handling; your snake will get used to the idea that you're safe to be with
    but it won't happen overnight.

The better you are at being patient, the more likely your snake will come to relax & enjoy your company. Remember how big we are compared to them...
    imagine how you'd feel if a creature at least 100 times bigger than you were to pick you up?

Once you do pick them up, I like to keep a snake close to me so they feel sheltered. That's how they feel safest in the wild too, they hate being out in the
    open, because they're at greater risk of a predator finding them.
    ^ THIS ^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    ^ THIS ^

Plus if you're going to be handling most days apart from 48hours after a feed .... then it may be worth getting a snake that you can have a handling session first ... getting a good eater would be my priority as I've yet to find a Royal that won't tolerate handling..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts
    I just wanted to underline the part where snakes need to feel sheltered in order to be secure when held. Although it's neat-looking to have them hang out on your neck, most are looking for a place to hide. I hold my snakes so they can burrow either inside my bathrobe, or on my lap covered with a cloth. I recently discovered they love to hang out in a Christmas Stocking! So oftentimes they will sit on my desk or lap with their heads peeking out of the stocking.

And I have to gently disagree that snakes don't love being held .. most probably don't or are indifferent. I have one who loves to be held (ratsnake), and my BP snakes seems to enjoy exploring outside the cage and finding new places to hide. It's a way to get some exercise and stretch out and stimulate their brains
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by samsonact View Post
    But who's right? Iv'e seen many different answers and idk which is right
    Each animal is different-- just get to know your snake and you can tell when it's relaxed and when it's stressed. There probably isn't 100% right answer. I have two very different BP's and one is definitely more relaxed and eager to explore than the other.
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12