Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,259

1 members and 3,258 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mia

Thanks

Mia

Hi all !!
    Mia has gained 24 grams in exactly 30 days. Is that good ?

Last month... Then just now tonight.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Mia

Amd her cute little face....

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Maybeka For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-08-2019)

Thanks
    It's definitely not bad, are you worried that she's growing too fast or too slow?

In my opinion, as long as she's eating an appropriate sized meal at the appropriate interval and she looks healthy, it shouldn't be an issue.

I think she looks healthy, and as long as she's eating as I described above, she'll be fine.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RXLReptiles For This Useful Post:

hilabeans (01-08-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RXLReptiles View Post
    It's definitely not bad, are you worried that she's growing too fast or too slow?

In my opinion, as long as she's eating an appropriate sized meal at the appropriate interval and she looks healthy, it shouldn't be an issue.

I think she looks healthy, and as long as she's eating as I described above, she'll be fine.
    We thought she was maybe growing a bit slow. We've heard of other females of the same age that owners say are twice her weight.

Shes eating the right size food according to the chart from this site, and she eats pretty much like clockwork every 7 or 8 days.

Only time she doesn't eat is when she's getting ready to shed and then she may miss a meal or 2.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    From where she started...she is doing great! Keep up the great work! She looks nice and healthy.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 617 Posts
    She's looking great!

Whether they achieve full growth at lightening speed with power feeding (typically for breeding purposes), or slow and steady (ideal for pets), they will be what they are supposed to be once fully grown. My Neptune was much smaller than what I felt like was average for BPs his age when I got him, but over the last year he has caught up and is right where he needs to be.

So just make sure she's eating appropriately sized meals at the recommended frequency and she will be just fine. Do you have the feeding chart that's floating around here somewhere?

1.0 Lesser Mojave Ball Python "Neptune"; 1.0 Western Hognose "Murray"

Lizards:
    1.0 Bearded Dragon "Nigel"

Tarantulas:
    0.1 G. Rosea "Charlotte"; 0.1 B. Albopilosum "Matilda"; 0.1 C. Versicolor "Bijou"; 1.0 B. Boehmei "Lightening McQueen"

Inverts:
    1.0 Emperor Scorpion "Boba"

Dog & Cats:

1.0 Doberman Pinscher "Bulleit"; 1.0 Siamese Cat "Boudreaux"; 1.0 British Shorthair Cat "Oliver”

Goats:
    "Hazelnut" & "Huckleberry"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hilabeans View Post
    Whether they achieve full growth at lightening speed with power feeding (typically for breeding purposes), or slow and steady (ideal for pets), they will be what they are supposed to be once fully grown. My Neptune was much smaller than what I felt like was average for BPs his age when I got him, but over the last year he has caught up and is right where he needs to be.
    This is reassuring for me to read as well, as I just acquired a new BP (who is also a male Butter Mojave, incidentally), and while he's exactly what I was hoping for in every other respect, my one concern is that he's quite small - only about half the weight of my other boy, despite being just a month younger, and noticeably slimmer. For your Neptune, did you still feed him on the exact same routine as your other snakes, or did you need to make any adjustments to help him "catch up" (e.g. feeding every 4-5 days instead of every 7)?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 617 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RedRabbit View Post
    This is reassuring for me to read as well, as I just acquired a new BP (who is also a male Butter Mojave, incidentally), and while he's exactly what I was hoping for in every other respect, my one concern is that he's quite small - only about half the weight of my other boy, despite being just a month younger, and noticeably slimmer. For your Neptune, did you still feed him on the exact same routine as your other snakes, or did you need to make any adjustments to help him "catch up" (e.g. feeding every 4-5 days instead of every 7)?
    Nope, nothing special. I pretty faithfully follow this growth chart and frequency schedule and all is well:

I could grow him far more rapidly because he would gratefully eat daily if I let him. He LOVES to eat. But there is no benefit as a pet to overgrow him, and on the contrary would be unhealthy to push his growth faster than normal. So I follow this chart for his feedings and he’ll ultimately grow to whatever he sh ups be.

1.0 Lesser Mojave Ball Python "Neptune"; 1.0 Western Hognose "Murray"

Lizards:
    1.0 Bearded Dragon "Nigel"

Tarantulas:
    0.1 G. Rosea "Charlotte"; 0.1 B. Albopilosum "Matilda"; 0.1 C. Versicolor "Bijou"; 1.0 B. Boehmei "Lightening McQueen"

Inverts:
    1.0 Emperor Scorpion "Boba"

Dog & Cats:

1.0 Doberman Pinscher "Bulleit"; 1.0 Siamese Cat "Boudreaux"; 1.0 British Shorthair Cat "Oliver”

Goats:
    "Hazelnut" & "Huckleberry"

Thanks
    It's probably just the lighting, but from here it almost looks like your BP has a stuck eye cap? Probably just me.
    Last edited by 55fingers; 01-08-2019 at 03:33 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hilabeans View Post
    Nope, nothing special. I pretty faithfully follow this growth chart and frequency schedule and all is well:

I could grow him far more rapidly because he would gratefully eat daily if I let him. He LOVES to eat. But there is no benefit as a pet to overgrow him, and on the contrary would be unhealthy to push his growth faster than normal. So I follow this chart for his feedings and he’ll ultimately grow to whatever he should be.
    Makes sense, and thanks for the info. I've also been following that same growth chart, and am keeping my snakes just as pets, not for breeding. (With that said, it's good to hear that Neptune is a great eater, haha.) My hope is that Ravus will eventually catch up enough to take the same prey size as Ignis, just to simplify things on my end, but both of them will go at their own pace, and I don't mind that at all.

Also, @Maybeka, Mia looks great to me! Even if her total weight seems on the lower end, I'd say you can tell by her cross-sectional body shape that she's still got a healthy body habitus, neither too skinny (triangular cross-section, prominent spine) nor too heavy (very rounded cross-section, fat roll indentations on either side of the spine).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast