Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,798

2 members and 2,796 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Rainbow is rejecting rabbits.

12/23/2018 she eat a 4lb rabbit with excitement. She started asking for food on 12/27 and I offered again 12/30. She looked at me like, "What the heck is this crap?" and continued showing signs of hunger. I waited a week to offer again. Every couple of days she was looking for food. I offered again 1/6/2019 and again she rejected the rabbit and spends the rest of the night pacing the feeding side and looking out at me like, "I told you to get me something else to eat!" I tossed the rabbit this morning and it had a rotting smell. I purchased them from a local store that had them for the first time. She was curled up on the feeding side this morning looking out and showing hunger behavior every time I walked by. You know the lifting her head up with excitement going "FOOD?" and then laying back down when she realizes I am not offering her anything.

Would you go back to smaller prey items that are not rabbits or hold out?

Is something wrong with the rabbits and that is why she rejects them?

Does she have breeding on her mind?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,840 Times in 4,770 Posts
    I'd guess that she wants to find a boy. I have two big females now playing this game. I've started offering them smaller rabbits so that if they decide not to eat I can flip the feeder to a different snake.

You can try offering a jumbo rat just to see if she'll take it, but I'd have a snake that will eat the rat available as backup.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,895 Times in 2,991 Posts

Re: Rainbow is rejecting rabbits.

What kinda snake is Rainbow ??

Guessing it's not a BRB ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    I'd guess that she wants to find a boy. I have two big females now playing this game. I've started offering them smaller rabbits so that if they decide not to eat I can flip the feeder to a different snake.

You can try offering a jumbo rat just to see if she'll take it, but I'd have a snake that will eat the rat available as backup.
    Yeah.... going to pick up a jumbo rat today and see if she takes it. If not my boy will chow down on it for sure. She is just over 3 years old. You think she is old enough to think about a male?

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    What kinda snake is Rainbow ??

Guessing it's not a BRB ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Suntiger reticulated python.

Link to progression thread.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...on-progression
    Last edited by Skyrivers; 01-07-2019 at 11:19 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (01-07-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    You think she is old enough to think about a male?
    Yep, exactly the right age.

Thanks

Yep, exactly the right age.
    I have read several articles on it. This is the popular belief on most of the posts about it.

Reticulated Python Breeding

Reticulated Pythons reach their sexual maturity anywhere between 7 and 12 feet or in as little as 18 months for males. Females however take much longer and are often unwilling to breed until they reach the age of 4 or 5. It is recommended to stop all feeding a minimum of 2 weeks before this begins in order to get any previously undigested food out of the snake. Animals should have excellent weight and be established before any breeding is attempted. Retics can be cooled in the low 70's during autumn. This temperature drop is to be achieved gradually in order to reduce the stress on the snakes body and to avoid any respiratory infections. During this period it is an ideal time to reduce the daylight time they receive to around 9 hours in order to simulate natural winter daylight conditions.
    After 4 - 5 weeks the male and female can be placed together at the cooler temperatures and mist the cage for a couple of weeks. This is done by adding the female to the males cage, as this simulates the female entering the males territory as she looks for a mate. There must never be another male in the same cage as they can and will fight causing injuries to each other that often lead to death. After the introduction you will hopefully observe some copulation. Copulation can sometimes occur only at night. After the 3 weeks the retics should be separated. In comparison to other pythons the copulation procedure is relatively short with breeding lasting under half an hour each time and only occurring 3 - 5 times. After 45-60 days (approx.) she will have a pre-lay shed. You then have a further month or so to wait to see what she will lay. Females will generally lay between 25-80 eggs but numbers above this have been recorded. This number is affected by the number of times she has been bred before, how old she is and how big she is.

Thanks
    Yes some females can take longer but others may go earlier. Your girl sounds like an early bloomer.

Thanks

Yes some females can take longer but others may go earlier. Your girl sounds like an early bloomer.

13Ft and 33 ish lbs at age 3. Could be but still on the small end. I have no reason to breed. I know Monty would love to have a go at her though. I am just not setup for that.

Thanks
    Yeah just because she can doesn't mean she should.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (01-08-2019)

Thanks

Yeah just because she can doesn't mean she should.
    Very true.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast