Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,077

1 members and 3,076 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    Here is my advice.

Listen to above posted advice, its all great.

Then here is this. Do it right the first time around, and everything will be easier and cheaper in the long run. Newbies often make the snake the #1 priority. The morph, the price, etc.

Make your enclosure and husbandry the #1 priority for now. Do THAT right first, and the rest will fall into place. If you want to spend the bulk of your money on a prettier snake, while the rest is an afterthought, you may run into some frustration.

There are really only a few very important ground rules, but those are non negotiable if you want to be successful. Follow them, have a good setup ready. If that means that your funds go towards that and then you have to save a couple/few more month for the actual snake, trust me, it will be worth it.

The newbies that try to cut corners on enclosure/husbandry usually end up spending far more in the long run and go through a lot of frustration.

These snakes can live over 40 years. Take the time to do this right.

Decide whether you want to house your BP in a glass tank, a PVC enclosure (made for reptiles) or a PVC tub. All have their pros and cons.

Glass tanks are easily obtainable and fairly cheap. They give you good visibility. But they are harder to heat properly and keep humidity right. To heat them properly you often have to use a above heater (light or ceramic) in conjunction with a Under Tank Heater. Which dries out the tank and makes it challenging to keep the humidity up. It can be done, though, and there are great write ups on how to do this RIGHT the first time around. You need to get the heat, humidity right AND provide proper privacy for the snake. All those factors are non negotiable. And you have to make it safe.

A PVC cage is great all around. Easier to heat and keep humidity up, while providing visibility. Still good privacy since enclosed all around other then the see through front. But, they cost more then a glass tank and usually takes a few weeks to get. You can always upgrade to this, eventually..

A tub is a great way to house a Ball Python. Easy to achieve correct temps and humidity. Great privacy for a Ball Python. Cheap and easy to purchase. You don't get the "pretty" display visibility, but the BP might settle down and feel safer, faster. Can also be upgraded to a PVC cage later on.

No matter which of those you go to, you HAVE to purchase a thermoSTAT , a device which controls the heater. Or you risk your snake getting burned and having trouble keeping the temps even. This is non negotiable. You can get one for around $35 on Amazon, or buy a more professional one for around $100 or so. But you have to have one. You usually need a Under Tank Heater. Needs to be installed correctly. You need some thermoMETERS to check and make sure your temperatures are correct. You need hides, at least a couple of them, to make your BP feel safe. That can be a commercially made one, or a small box or tupperware container. A waterdish. Substrate if you want it, or paper towels.

While it all sounds complicated and involved (and expensive), it really isn't or need not be.

There are write ups for each setup. That walk you step by step through it on what to buy and how to set it up. Not hard at all. Do it right first time around. Get all what you need, set it up, dial it in.

THEN look for the snake, and get a nice/healthy/feeding and established one. We can also help you what to look for in that regard. But don't worry about morph and all that right now, focus on the setup
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Dianne (01-06-2019),Kira (01-07-2019),MissterDog (01-19-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts

Re: it freaks me out all the rules for bp care

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybeans View Post
    That's fine everyone is different than there's a big variety of snakes out there to fit our personalities

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
    I'll be honest- I don't enjoy snakes that go on unpredictable fasts, & another downside is that they need higher temps & humidity, plus they hide too much for my taste.

BPs have a lot going for them: they're pretty, & they stay a nice size, & they're docile. But so are MANY other kinds of snakes, like rat snakes, with much easier care &
    outgoing personality to boot. I hate the idea of keeping snakes in tubs...I love glass tanks for visibility, so snakes that do well in them are my strong preference.

If you only have one snake, or several, it's not so bad when they fast, but when you have a large number of snakes (as I have for many years now) you just don't have
    time for all the food-fuss you get from BPs. The BPs I had for years I ended up re-homing with good people who were into them...I just wasn't. They took too much
    time from the all others that I have lots more fun with...snakes that don't need their rodents blow-dried. I'm patient, very patient, but my time was valuable (as in
    "never enough of it"). And most other snakes are more resilient in terms of health too...they don't get R.I.'s easily, for example.

Thanks

Well I just have my one and that's really all that I want
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I'll be honest- I don't enjoy snakes that go on unpredictable fasts, & another downside is that they need higher temps & humidity, plus they hide too much for my taste.

BPs have a lot going for them: they're pretty, & they stay a nice size, & they're docile. But so are MANY other kinds of snakes, like rat snakes, with much easier care &
    outgoing personality to boot. I hate the idea of keeping snakes in tubs...I love glass tanks for visibility, so snakes that do well in them are my strong preference.

If you only have one snake, or several, it's not so bad when they fast, but when you have a large number of snakes (as I have for many years now) you just don't have
    time for all the food-fuss you get from BPs. The BPs I had for years I ended up re-homing with good people who were into them...I just wasn't. They took too much
    time from the all others that I have lots more fun with...snakes that don't need their rodents blow-dried. I'm patient, very patient, but my time was valuable (as in
    "never enough of it"). And most other snakes are more resilient in terms of health too...they don't get R.I.'s easily, for example.

Thanks

I would truly love to have a leucistic ball python too but in all honesty I just want it for the color.... however I have a wonderful ball python now that's a beautiful morph and I don't really think I need another.
    I won't even have anybody I know of to leave him in my will when I die

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybeans View Post
    I would truly love to have a leucistic ball python too but in all honesty I just want it for the color.... however I have a wonderful ball python now that's a beautiful morph and I don't really think I need another.
    I won't even have anybody I know of to leave him in my will when I die

Let's hope you have many more years with Jellybeans, & any others that may come along.

My passion for snakes is more about preservation of species as nature has perfected them, not about creating fancy c/b morphs, but I do applaud the serious dedication
    shown by many members here for the keeping & breeding of ball pythons...you have truly "come a long way" for them, & sharing your knowledge here is commendable.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-06-2019 at 03:04 PM.

Thanks
    thank you all very much i found a rhestat at home depot it works great i also have a watt meter which helps me

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123