Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,596

1 members and 2,595 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

my new lovely freind keeps missing the mice

i mean it seems hse hits it but she dont grab it ..it is so fast it is hard for me to see.. do you think she will eats soon? i love her so much im so worried new pets always scare me to they eat

Thanks

Re: my new lovely freind keeps missing the mice

Quote Originally Posted by motorcyclecowboy View Post
    i mean it seems hse hits it but she dont grab it ..it is so fast it is hard for me to see.. do you think she will eats soon? i love her so much im so worried new pets always scare me to they eat
    Get a blow dryer and warm it up right before you feed. Sounds like she can’t get a good grasp on where it is because it might be to cold.

Thanks
    awesume ty for the input

Thanks

Live or frozen thawed only reason i ask is if it is live dont leave it unattended with the snake it can cause serious damage or kill your snake

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dylan_ For This Useful Post:

DandD (01-05-2019)

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Those are defensive bites, not offensive attacks.
    *.* TNTC

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-05-2019),Taying (01-05-2019),tttaylorrr (01-05-2019),Zincubus (01-05-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sorril View Post
    Those are defensive bites, not offensive attacks.
    Agree with ^ ^ ^ and to elaborate on that, snakes may do this for several possible reasons:

Live prey: they may have been used to eating only dead prey, & are afraid of the live prey. Or, it's a different kind (rat/vs. mouse) or too big. You WANT them eating
    only dead prey (either frozen/thawed-& warmed!, or fresh pre-killed) for their safety.

Going into a shed cycle: snakes know (can feel it) before we can see the signs, & if offered food at that time, many will refuse. Take their word for it & wait
    a few days...you'll likely see their eyes cloud up.

Stress: new pets should be allowed to settle in, preferably for a couple weeks before ANY handling. Handling a snake can interfere with their hunting/eating instincts.
    It's best not to handle a new snake until it has fed 2 or preferably 3 times (at normal intervals) before you do any handling of them at all. While many people fail to do
    this & some "get away with it", others have nothing but trouble trying to get their poor fearful snake to eat, & if they don't eat, eventually they don't live. So eating, &
    NOT handling (NOT "taming") is Job #1, for best results. They are living creatures, not a toy...put their needs first.

Poor offering techniques: BPs are ambush hunters, meaning they prefer to sit & wait until prey happens to go past them, & they usually prefer to eat at night or evening.
    Best time to offer is when they are in their hide, just peeking out, in the evening hours. Even then, too much motion or too little motion (from already-dead prey) can
    still scare them off: using feeding tongs, a slight wiggle of the prey is best, & do NOT approach the snake with it. Rats never run up to a snake in the real world & offer to
    be dinner! That sort of boldness will scare many snakes (like BPs) into not eating. Make the dead rodent appear to cluelessly pass by where the snake is waiting.
    Pre-killed rodents must also have some life-like warmth to them for most BPs, since they use their heat-sensing pits to tell what's edible. A brief blast of a blow-dryer to
    the already thawed rodent right before offering is often what's needed for them to strike & eat.

Don't offer too often: if your snake refuses to eat, wait a week & offer at the right time (not when the snake is cruising the cage either), right temperature (etc) & only if the snake isn't currently in shed.

Be patient & try to see it from your snake's point of view...
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-05-2019 at 03:16 PM.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Dianne (01-05-2019),Taying (01-05-2019)