Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 522

1 members and 521 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus

Thread: Shipping Fees

Thanks

Shipping Fees

I've shipped many times in the past but stopped for a while in order to just sell locally and avoid any issues. I'm looking to get back into shipping and need some help with figuring out shipping fees.
    For those of you that ship regularly, do you use a standard shipping fee or do you charge exactly what it's going to cost each time?
    For standard shipping fees, how do you determine what they should be?
    Thank you in advance.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    I do a standard $50 fee for anything hatchlings and $65 for anything above hatchling size up to 1000g. After that I charge exact label pricing.
    1.1 Ivory Burmese Pythons 0.1 Albino Granite Burmese Python
    1.0 Orange Glow Retic 0.1 White Albino Retic 0.1 Purple Tiger Retic
    1.0 Anaconda Hognose 1.0 Hognose DBL Het Snow
    0.0.1 Red Tail Boa
    1.0 Albino Blitz BP
    0.1 Pastel Het Pied BP
    1.0 Pastel Leopard BP
    0.1 Pastel Vanilla BP
    0.1 Super Phantom BP
    0.1 Spinner Enchi BP
    0.1 Albino Kingsnake

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jnksnakes For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (01-12-2019)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I charge a flat rate and absorb the rest of the cost

While the cost is often higher than what I charge, many people will complain if they pay more than $50, most of them do not realise how expensive priority overnight shipping really is between the cost of label, box shipping warmer and gas. My labels alone usually range between $50 to $100 depending on what and where I ship.

I charge $50 for hatchlings to small adults and $75 for large proven adults.
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (01-12-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Re: Shipping Fees

To properly ship, be prepared to spend $50 for hatchlings and up to $130’for huge adults.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 952 Posts

I try to keep shipping cost for customers between $50-60. I also eat some of the cost most times as eating $10 towards shipping is better than losing a sale over it in my eyes. I haven't shipped adults but would adjust the price accordingly. I also pay an additional $5 to have FedEx pick my animals up at my door rather than have to drive to the nearest hub. To me that is a money saver as well.
    - Greg

Visit our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/412Balls/

or our website: http://412balls.weebly.com/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Emily_Doughty View Post
    I've shipped many times in the past but stopped for a while in order to just sell locally and avoid any issues. I'm looking to get back into shipping and need some help with figuring out shipping fees.
    For those of you that ship regularly, do you use a standard shipping fee or do you charge exactly what it's going to cost each time?
    For standard shipping fees, how do you determine what they should be?
    Thank you in advance.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Hi Emily,

Figuring out what to charge your customers for shipping is definitely something that needs to be done on a case-by-case basis. A lot depends on your volume of shipping, the profit margin you have on your animals, and your own particular business model and philosophies.

If you have an account with ShipYourReptiles, we can work with you to customize rates specific to your business volume and needs. We also offer resources such as our Newsletter with tons of information and tips on shipping and how to work shipping costs into your business model.

If you want to shoot me an email at Judy@ShipYourReptiles.com, we can go over your business needs and come up with a plan that will work for you!

Good luck,
    Judy
    Judy
    Director of Accounts at ShipYourReptiles

email: Judy@ShipYourReptiles.com

Customer Service Desk
    303-730-2125 (ext 1 or 2)
    info@ShipYourReptiles.com

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Judy@SYR For This Useful Post:

Emily_Doughty (01-19-2019),Godzilla78 (01-16-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,840 Times in 4,770 Posts

Thanks
    I usually charge exact shipping, but I still end up eating a lot of associated costs. The quick quote you get from most companies doesn't include signed delivery or insurance, both of which I like to have to ensure the safety of my animals and the happiness of my customers. Then there's the cost of shipping materials, printing the label and other papers, gas to drop the snake off, etc. I suppose there's also a cost associated with holding a snake for a customer, but I don't usually calculate the cost of feeding and housing a single snake separately from the rest of my collection.

At the end of the day, selling local is a lot more profitable than shipping. But there's not a lot of demand for snakes over $100 where I live. There are a few other breeders, and I did a nice trade with one of them. But most people just want a cheap pet. Honestly, I might be better off producing normals, as much as that's discouraged by some people within the hobby.

Most of my deliveries have been $50-80, though I did have one within CA for $25-ish. Always nice when you can send them in state.
    ~ Ball Pythons - Rosy Boas - - Western Hognose Snakes - Mexican Black Kingsnakes - Corn Snakes ~

Check me out on iHerp, Instagram, & visit my store!