Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,875

1 members and 2,874 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Hognose shopping

As the title suggests I have 2 expos near me this weekend. One is 10 minutes away the other is about an hour away. Have a 6qt tub setup with eco earth getting my temps dialed in.

So as I have read here I am shooting for 90*f hotspot with 20-40% humidity, correct?

My plan is to find a female (morph unknown at this point) that should be well established by this time in the season. I know to ask about feeding habits. Not many on MM or kingsnake to base the market prices on. What should I be expecting to pay for a normal or a conda?

Feel free to drop some drive by pics. No breeding plans for this just want something a bit more active than my BPs that I can put in a display cage once some size is put on. Anything I should be aware of that may differ from my current experience. Have owned retics, Burms, a boa and BPs so I don’t have much experience with the tiny guys.

Thanks Cody.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Hognose shopping

Quote Originally Posted by Fishinglink View Post
    As the title suggests I have 2 expos near me this weekend. One is 10 minutes away the other is about an hour away. Have a 6qt tub setup with eco earth getting my temps dialed in.

So as I have read here I am shooting for 90*f hotspot with 20-40% humidity, correct?

My plan is to find a female (morph unknown at this point) that should be well established by this time in the season. I know to ask about feeding habits. Not many on MM or kingsnake to base the market prices on. What should I be expecting to pay for a normal or a conda?

Feel free to drop some drive by pics. No breeding plans for this just want something a bit more active than my BPs that I can put in a display cage once some size is put on. Anything I should be aware of that may differ from my current experience. Have owned retics, Burms, a boa and BPs so I don’t have much experience with the tiny guys.

Thanks Cody.

key to humidity is you want stable humidity and not fight with it as that will stress the snake out more than a tad high humidity. 90°-92° hot spot, room temp ambients are fine. normals are expected around $80-$100 but i have never really seen any for sale that often, condas im not too sure about. also, hognoses are notorious for not eating during winter from what ive seen, so expect that aswell

3. The Following User Says Thank You to baldegale For This Useful Post:

Fishinglink (01-03-2019)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Make sure the animals has ate 10 times on unscented and make sure it has ate 10 times on F/T, some breeders are in a hurry to move animals and will sell them after 5 meals (which is fine for species like BP) however with such a small species you just want a little more meals in them because if something goes wrong it can go down the hill real fast.
    Also remember hognose are a very small species and if fed right will only weigh in at 50 to 100 grams at a year so a smaller enclosure will be better.
    As for drive by pics well here you go.

Deborah Stewart

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-03-2019),Craiga 01453 (01-03-2019),Dianne (01-02-2019),e_nigma (01-26-2019),Timelugia (01-03-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Thanks Cody.

Hi Cody... Also probably better to use Aspen chips as the substrate rather than Eco-earth. With Hoggies you dont really need to create alot of humidity, so save the Eco-earth for the ball pythons...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jus1More For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (01-03-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 775 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post

And this one just died of Cuteness!!!
    1.0 Freddy -Python Regius
    Darby -Boa Imperator
    Kenny -Morelia Bredli
    La Reina -Lampropeltis Californiae
    1.0 Luciano -Drymarchon Melanurus Unicolor
    0.1 Macarena -Heterodon Nasicus Nasicus
    1.0 Hugo -Morelia Spilota Mcdowelli

Morelia Mafia For Life

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RickyNY For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-03-2019),e_nigma (01-28-2019),Fishinglink (01-03-2019),Jus1More (01-04-2019),Stewart_Reptiles (01-03-2019)

Thanks

Will I have problems if I start out with paper towel for the first month or so? I know they are diggers but just want to observe for any tag alongs easily. I am going to pick up a 2.5 qt tub Incase I bring home a smaller hatchling.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Will I have problems if I start out with paper towel for the first month or so? I know they are diggers but just want to observe for any tag alongs easily. I am going to pick up a 2.5 qt tub Incase I bring home a smaller hatchling.

You want them to dig and do what they are meant too especially young animal, if you don't you will experience feeding issues.
    Deborah Stewart

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (01-03-2019),Fishinglink (01-03-2019),Jus1More (01-04-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

You've gotten all good advice so far.

I agree that aspen is a great substrate for hognose. I don't like aspen at all, all my other snakes get coco coir, but for burrowers like hognose aspen is my favorite.

I'd also follow Deborah's advice on starting with a small enclosure. Deb knows her stuff and won't steer you wrong.

Here's a photo dump of my boy Cosmo....

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using Tapatalk

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

e_nigma (01-26-2019),Fishinglink (01-03-2019),Jus1More (01-04-2019),mandymg86 (02-15-2019),Stewart_Reptiles (01-03-2019)

Thanks

So measured my current tub that I had setup in preparation. The floor space is the same as a 2.7. It’s 11.5Lx5.5wx4.5h. Will the height be an issue if I’m filling it 1.5-2” with substrate? I think I’m missing something. Should I add some fake vines along with the two hides? Sorry not trying to come off as argumentative just want to have the best chance for success. Does anyone have the tub product number? Preferably sterilite so I can source locally.

Thanks again for all the input thus far.
    Cody

Thanks

So measured my current tub that I had setup in preparation. The floor space is the same as a 2.7. It’s 11.5Lx5.5wx4.5h. Will the height be an issue if I’m filling it 1.5-2” with substrate? I think I’m missing something. Should I add some fake vines along with the two hides? Sorry not trying to come off as argumentative just want to have the best chance for success. Does anyone have the tub product number? Preferably sterilite so I can source locally.

Thanks again for all the input thus far.
    Cody

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-...lear/113216537 this is the one i used. most walmarts have them

17. The Following User Says Thank You to baldegale For This Useful Post:

Fishinglink (01-03-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast