Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,094

0 members and 3,094 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

question about temps and substrate

Hello everyone. I am new to owning any reptile. My wife came home with a BP a few months ago, and she has expanded that to two BP and a western hognose, and she is waiting on two more Hognose and an Axanthic to be shipped this month. So I was searching the site in regards to thermostat probe placement and read how people like to do it. Between the mat and the glass or on top of the glass inside the tank. The only tank not set up was the one for the Axanthic. All the snakes are in glass tanks. All of them have UTH's with the probes inside the tanks. Since she had put the pad on the bottom of the tank for the Axanthic already I mounted the probe to the glass above the UTH with hot melt to secure it. I plugged it in and set the thermostat for 92 degrees. I checked it a few hours later. the glass and the probe measure 91-92 with one of the thermal laser grip temperature guns. but the substrate under the hide only gets up to about 80-81.

I am using about a half inch of the Zoo Med Forest Floor substrate, but I've seen the same thing with aspen shavings. My question is do you put the substrate under the hide, or should I leave it clear? The other BP which are on aspen I've seen push the shavings around inside the hides to get down to the glass so they are just on the glass. Should I just let them do what they want, or just not bother putting the shavings under it?

All the snakes are less than a year old. Her black pewter is about 7 months old, our enchi is 4 months old. We have no clue how old her hognose is. the Axanthic I think is going to be about 100g when it arrives.

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Probe outside the enclosure and temperature under the substrate is what you need to worry about.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (01-02-2019),Dianne (01-03-2019)