Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,055

1 members and 3,054 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Super-worm beetle

Hey there,
    So I got my super worm beetle at 27 of November. 4 in number and I want to breed them for the first time.
    I haven't see any eggs nor larva at the tub..
    I didn't even see them eating! I tried carrot \ potatoes \ green apple and the whole thing got rot whole without any sign of the beetle biting it, the all 4 hiding in 1 corner of egg crate.
    The plastic divided to one side with oatmeal and the other "bottomless", both have hiding spots yet the beetles keep hiding the whole time together at the bottomless side.

Am I doing something wrong?
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: Super-worm beetle

Keep all tubs at 85 degrees. It has been my experience that Superworm beetles cannibalize their eggs/larvae: After 2 weeks separate out the beetles and place them in a new tub (all new bedding material). Maintain all tubs with food/'water' available (the eggs will hatch in 7-10 days). They also take a lot longer to mature than normal meal-worms so expect them to be small for a while.

I had many thousands of them at one point, but, I got sick of separating the pupae from adults and the entire bin swapping thing...so I just moved over to Dubias as a food source for my insectivore collection.

Oh, and don't bother looking for the eggs they aren't worth the effort (needle/haystack) to find. But, if you are determined, leave a piece of potato in the bin and DO NOT remove it no matter how funky it gets: your eggs will be in there somewhere (I recommend a compound microscope for ID).
    *.* TNTC