Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,116

2 members and 3,114 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi

Thanks

Cool Hi

my boy is Riku hes about two and a half,he's an absolute puppy with me, cant say hes fond of anyone else who's tried to handle him. Does any one know if its safe to keep him in a box when its cold out, recently hes been grouchy in his tank(i guess hes not a fan of the space). Are heating pads safe i don't want him to burn his stomach. his tank is 40 gallons. his diet is mainly medium mice and the occasional bug when he catches it i feed him after he poops out the bone goo when he wants it usually a week apart not always. his lamp uses a UV bulb stays on 24/7 his hide is a little bigger than him his water dish is an old ceramic pie dish (pictures soon to follow) i use Eco earth coconut substrate for his bedding. i clean before i feed him he seems to like the box and enjoys (wrapping around my arm and "arm wrestling" me) i wash his hide when poop gets on it otherwise i leave it.i clean his bowl when he gets substrate in it witch is often. please let me know if anything here is bad practice and if i need anything else. Please ask me anything else that you might need of me for better details.

Thanks

Re: Hi

Thank you for asking for help! I will start with some of the generic, information-gathering questions that will help us help you. I'm assuming this is a ball python? What are his tank temperatures and humidity, and how are you measuring them? You mentioned a UV bulb; I don't think BPs need a UV bulb, and the constant light may be stressing him. Is this heating element regulated via thermostat? All heating elements should be controlled by a thermostat to prevent them from becoming too hot, lamps and heat mats alike. Heating pads are typically placed under the tank, not inside it, and there are several posts on this forum regarding set up. You also mentioned his hide; do you have at least two identical hides for him? This permits him to thermoregulate without sacrificing security. In a 40 gallon tank, you may need more hides, and should probably clutter the space with fake plants and stuff so your snake feels more secure and hidden. Pictures will also help. Once we know these kinds of things, we'll be able to give you more specific advice.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elleon For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (01-02-2019),Riku (01-05-2019)

Thanks
    Hi......and welcome

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 775 Posts
    Welcome, take the time to look thru the husbandry section. Many threads there that could be very helpful to you.
    1.0 Freddy -Python Regius
    Darby -Boa Imperator
    Kenny -Morelia Bredli
    La Reina -Lampropeltis Californiae
    1.0 Luciano -Drymarchon Melanurus Unicolor
    0.1 Macarena -Heterodon Nasicus Nasicus
    1.0 Hugo -Morelia Spilota Mcdowelli

Morelia Mafia For Life

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Welcome to the forum Riku, glad you joined
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts
    Welcome to the forum! Is there a reason why you feed bugs? You didn't mention what kind of snake Riku is but most of us are going to assume he's a ball python, who do not need or benefit from bugs in their diet.

It would be a good idea to look through the husbandry section and read the stickies to double check on your care. Elleon also brought up some good points to consider. The more details we know the more we can help!
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

Kira (01-05-2019)

Thanks

he really just catches them when he sees them i live in Texas and we get all sorts hes really only eaten a water bug and a couple fly's their the only ones that made it in my room i was worried they'd hurt him but he didn't seem to mind.

Thanks
    Wait, BP's eat flies? Never knew.

Thanks

firstly yes hes a ball python and his temp ranges from 85 to 97 usually i use thermometers. humidity is pretty boggy but i don't use a measuring tool i just check his scales for dryness. Iv'e been waiting to get him a no light bulb but haven't been able to get to a pet store when i have the money, he rarely seems agitated until i replenish his water sorry i forgot to mention that i was a bit tired and it slipped my mind. he has a heater going in the room with him that keeps the room around ninety degrees it has a thermostat in it. he currently has one hide and when he plays on the bed with me he rolls around in a hollow plush death-star i found for a different pet that he stole. ill try getting him more things to hide in. small question is it ok to let him wrap around my arms or head when hes playing hes never once squeezed me but he likes to get in my hair so i put it in a bun when he wants to play.hes not shy either, like he kisses me on the cheek a lot. hes very affectionate and rambunctious. thank you for the tips ill read up on the husbandry when i find it navigating this site is a little difficult for me sorry.(its probably right in front of me ill see it eventually i swear)

Thanks

Riku

after reading some of the husbandry posts i have another question i bathe Riku in warm water with damp dish cloth in the bathroom sink when his shed doesn't come all the way off should i get a tub to make it safer?
    and yeah he just squishes bugs and then drags them into his hide wile waving his head like all pomp and celebratory do pythons mimic their owners?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast