Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,956

2 members and 2,954 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Post >>New to breeding rats<<

Hullo! My name is Ann and I'm new to the website. I own 1 rat and 1 ball python + 1 pigeon and 1 cat + 3 mice, but they don't count because they're feeders. xD I have decided recently to start breeding rats as pets and any unwanteds will go as feeders. My presence is unwanted on rat forums -_- so here I am!

Since I'm starting out I thought it'd be smart to have only one pair of rats. I'll be getting my current girl Latte a cage mate(female) very soon! The male I'll be getting at the end of Jan. ^_^

I'm looking forward to taking notes and reading any links y'all send me! I have a bit to learn on this topic, but I'm not new to owning rats.

Few questions to start this off...

1: When can my female breed after birth? I know right away, but ideally how long should I wait her out?

2: Can the male rat safely be left in with the female and her babies? (so say in the event my girl gives birth over night and the male is still in there)

3: Should the female always be housed away from her future cage mate after birth to prevent the other rat from attacking the babies? How common is that?

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: >>New to breeding rats<<

1: When can my female breed after birth? I know right away, but ideally how long should I wait her out?
    Ideally when her litter is weaned off at 3 weeks old

2: Can the male rat safely be left in with the female and her babies? (so say in the event my girl gives birth over night and the male is still in there)
    Yes but I don't recommend it for 2 reasons, possible aggression and back to back breeding which take a toll on the females, and lead to smaller litters and babies as they nurse while pregnant.

3: Should the female always be housed away from her future cage mate after birth to prevent the other rat from attacking the babies? How common is that?
    For male cage mate see answer above.
    For female cage mate you will experience loss as the females will fight over the babies, I recommend communal nursing when babies are at least 5 to 7 days as their skin is less tender, until than I recommend individual birthing.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Anns (01-01-2019),MR Snakes (12-31-2018)

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: >>New to breeding rats<<

Quote Originally Posted by Anns View Post
    10-24 hours after giving birth the female rat can conceive again (not after 24 hours though) This is called post-partum estrus. A post-partum estrus conception usually has a gestation time period of around 32 days. If you do not take advantage of the post-partum estrus you will have to wait 28-29 days before the female can conceive again.
    Depending upon your strain: Some males do not interfere with the babies, and others will may harm them. If you are vigilant in your observations and you have a large enough population: you can selectively breed non-aggressive males by culling those with disagreeable behavior.
    Depending upon your strain and cage size: Some female rats make better mothers than others. A good mother will defend her offspring, however, if she has very little cage space the second female may eliminate her litter. Some female rats will share litters in a big pile without conflict. Again: selective breeding can remedy disagreeable behavior.
    *.* TNTC

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Anns (01-01-2019)