Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,834

0 members and 2,834 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Anyone Keeping / Breeding Rosy Boas?

I've run across some pics and FB forums for these guys recently and find their contrast and colors appealing..along with their smaller size. I already keep KSB and think these guys would be similar in terms of housing needs, feeding, etc.

If anyone here is keeping / breeding them, I'd love to hear your opinions on temperament, feeding, etc. and which localities / sub species you are keeping / working with.

I've been told that the coastal variety is hardier and better feeders. I've also been told totally contrasting things about temperament. Anything from they are basically psycho demons to the most laid back snakes out there. I'd love feedback on that as well.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 775 Posts
    That's true... I heard they like to bite and are terrible at handling.
    Then I saw a guy on Youtube with one, and she seemed super chill.
    1.0 Freddy -Python Regius
    Darby -Boa Imperator
    Kenny -Morelia Bredli
    La Reina -Lampropeltis Californiae
    1.0 Luciano -Drymarchon Melanurus Unicolor
    0.1 Macarena -Heterodon Nasicus Nasicus
    1.0 Hugo -Morelia Spilota Mcdowelli

Morelia Mafia For Life

Thanks
    I've kept both Kenyan Sand Boas and Rosy Boas. I've bred other species, but never bred either of those.

I don't remember which variety of Rosies I raised, as it was about 20 years ago, but mine had great temperaments. I don't remember feeding to ever have been a problem, and I don't think they ever snapped at me.

I'm sure you know they only need water occasionally. They were beautiful snakes that were a joy to have around.

I'll see if I can find in my records where I got them and what the locality was, and if I can determine that I'll update later with more precise info.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    I've kept (& bred) both desert & coastal/desert-intergrade rosy boas...still have one pet rosy boa (a female, about 3+', males stay a little smaller). For a time I
    also had a pair of (inbred?) Mexican rosy boas (chocolate/cream stripes) that were nice enough pets but lousy for breeding (& I re-homed them). They weren't
    supposed to have been related but don't think seller was truthful.

But as far as the desert & desert-coastals I've known & raised, all were good pets (good temperament, good appetites). These are not burrowers like KSB, though
    as neonates they love a deep layer of Carefresh & actually created tunnels like an ant farm, lol. I disagree with GeneticsWizard's post that they only need water
    "occasionally": just because a snake survives in the wild that way does NOT mean it should have to as a pet, where the constant household & cage heat are even
    MORE dehydrating than the actual outdoors, where snakes take refuge underground & where humidity still lurks. (just ask the toads that survive long periods by
    being buried )

The worst thing I can say about rosy boas is that they tend to go off-feed in winter for a few months if not brumated, but don't lose serious amounts of weight &
    make up for it in spring by eating enthusiastically. And it's fun to watch them born live...some of mine (from one male's line) were so feisty that I had to separate
    them immediately after birth, they were snapping at each other & most fed immediately, rather than after the first shed. On average rosy boas live to about 20
    years...one of mine hit 26, even after surviving many years of substandard care in a museum before she was given to me (essentially 'dumped') & had 5 years of
    reproducing remarkably-healthy offspring for me (49 in all). They stay a really nice size for pets, I recommend a tank with screen top for good ventilation as they
    have in the wild. Neonates DO want live pinkie mice...they will switch to f/t easier than most BPs, but plan on needing to feed live pinks for a while at least. Most
    rosies happily take pinkie/fuzzy rats too, but it's better they stay on mice & gradually go up in size to hopper/small adult mice as adult rosy boas. They aren't
    great climbers but in the wild do climb into shrubs...possible reasons are to catch prey or escape the surface heat; as pets, some will snuggle around your neck
    without squeezing...just the right length to do that & not enough power to choke you even if they tried. (& they don't )

BTW, they always used to have a reputation of being very docile, so it's possible that over the years some ppl are inbreeding them & temperaments have
    suffered? I'm not sure...I've kept wild-caught rescues that adapted just fine to handling, but as far as choosing a young one, I'd take a biter that EATS well any day over the overly-docile one...because they DO tame down, just like most any other snakes do.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-31-2018 at 08:32 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Dianne (12-31-2018),GeneticsWizard (01-01-2019)

Thanks
    Thank you so much for your replies! I love kenyans, so am hoping that rosies will be similar..They are at least a similar size. So far, I'm liking some of the Mexican localities, but I'll have to look into the coastal and AZ localities more to see if those interest me also.

I'd love to start with a pair or trio of 2-3 localities.. That would necessitate working out where to keep them and I will likely need to set them up in a room different than the rest of my collection due to humidity levels.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS