Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,000

3 members and 2,997 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: First Snake!

Thanks

First Snake!

I'm getting my first snake at the Edison repticon soon and I'm really excited! I've already started doing my own research but thought it would be a good idea to get the opinions of people that have had experience with corns. I'd appreciate any tips or product recommendations, and here are some of my questions (sry if their a bit silly but I'm kinda a noob here) :
    Male or Female? I'm leaning towards male because I've heard their a bit smaller, but are there any differences in temperment?
    Can I keep a baby cornsnake in a 20 gallon?
    For how long can you keep frozen mice in a freezer? Also is it okay to keep mice in the same freezer you store human food in?
    What are some good questions to ask vendors at an expo?
    For how long should you avoid handling after a feed or a shed?
    Can you leave a snake alone for a week if you're going on a trip?
    If the humidity is low will humidity cause mold?
    Thx in advance if you reply!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts

Re: First Snake!

Answers in bold below.

Quote Originally Posted by mzelener0807 View Post
    I'm getting my first snake at the Edison repticon soon and I'm really excited! I've already started doing my own research but thought it would be a good idea to get the opinions of people that have had experience with corns. I'd appreciate any tips or product recommendations, and here are some of my questions (sry if their a bit silly but I'm kinda a noob here) :
    Male or Female? I'm leaning towards male because I've heard their a bit smaller, but are there any differences in temperment?

No.

Can I keep a baby cornsnake in a 20 gallon?

Yes, as long as your temps are correct and it has lots of places to hide.

For how long can you keep frozen mice in a freezer? Also is it okay to keep mice in the same freezer you store human food in?

If not vacuum-sealed I've kept whole prey with fur for 12 months. Pinkies tend to freezer burn quickly but the snakes still eat them. Yes you can keep snake food and human food in the same freezer but I would make sure both are well-wrapped so your ice cream doesn't pick up rat stink.

What are some good questions to ask vendors at an expo?

Did you produce this snake? If not who did? How long have you had it? When did it last eat? What is it feeding on now?

Also Repticon does not vet vendors so you will find reputable ones set up next to vendors who will sell you a mite-infested vet bill. Go to Repticon's web site, get the vendor list for the expo you plan on attending, and research them on the FaunaClassifieds.com Board of Inquiry and in the Facebook group "FBI - Feedback and Inquiries for Reptiles" during the days prior to the show so you know who to avoid before you walk in the door.

For how long should you avoid handling after a feed or a shed?

Feed - 2-3 days for a baby eating small meals, for some of my larger snakes eating full grown rabbits I'll leave them alone for 4-5 days. Shed, don't handle during but immediately after is ok.

Can you leave a snake alone for a week if you're going on a trip?

Yes but make sure it has plenty of water and you may want someone to check on it every 2-3 days.

If the humidity is low will humidity cause mold?

No, high humidity causes mold.

Thx in advance if you reply!