Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,932

3 members and 2,929 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

What Female to Buy

I have two males (purchases at the North American Reptile Breeders Conference). When they are large enough to breed, I am considering giving it a shot. One is albino, the other is champagne. I love the look of piebald.

What at is the best female option(s) to get good looking snakes which might lead to additional morphs? I know a lot is personal preference - it if you were in my situation - what would you consider?!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: What Female to Buy

The main thing to consider is how happy you will be to pick up poop from an animal for 40 years.

There are so many different ways to look at the snake keeping experience we kind of need to know which one you would like to focus on. If you simply want kick-butt pets buy the ones that make you smile. If you are thinking it is likely you might want to breed out of curiosity/ or shooting for a combo you have seen line up the ingredients you will need. If you want to get suggestions for different combo's you might not have thought of then you are in the right place.

How about a female visual toffee as your next snake?

I haven't really looked into champagnes much but I'm certain someone else has and will chime in.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

MR Snakes (12-30-2018)

Thanks
    So I don't want to shut you down or be negative in any way, but in my opinion you've kinda gone about it backwards.

Since females usually take a minimum of 3 years to reach breeding age/size you probably should've started with females. Since you have started with males, they'll be ready at about 1 year old, or 600-800 grams..... ish. There are many people who have many different philosophies in this department and I don't want to start that argument.

So if you want to breed when your males are large enough, i.e. next year, you'll want to start looking for females that are at least 2 years old currently and are large enough/on track to hit 1500+ grams by next fall/winter.

I'd definitely recommend that the female(s) you choose for the albino male are het albino, otherwise you'll just be producing albino hets with whatever dom/co-dom/recessive genes the female(s) is/are carrying, which can be productive if you're working toward double hets, (i.e. double het albino/pied etc.) but visual albinos with a secondary trait are the minimum I'd hope to produce with a male like that.

As for the champagne male, avoid females with spider, sable, woma (both hidden gene and normal), spotnose, or champagne, as these combos usually are either lethal or produce a snake with a pretty severe wobble. I'm not usually a fan of champagne just because it blows almost all pattern off the animal in most 2 gene combos, but Enchi and Asphalt actually do pair nicely with champagne, I'm sure there are other cool combos out there but I haven't seen enough to know them.

Lastly, if you like the way pied looks you could mix that into almost anything and get something really cool. But it'll take a few generations to do so.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RXLReptiles For This Useful Post:

MR Snakes (12-30-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Re: What Female to Buy

You need to do hours of research on the genetics of morphs. Then you will get some ideas and narrow down to what you want.
    If you really do your homework on genetic crossing and the available motors out there, you will answer your own question easily!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk