Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,324

1 members and 3,323 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,534
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

Some thoughts on Reptile Prime

!!!

Why didn't I try this stuff sooner?

Now that we have officially been mite-free for more than a month (knock on wood), I decided to give most everyone their substrate back. I decided to try Reptile Prime since I've basically tried everything else on the market (Reptichip, aspen for the corn, paper towels, cypress mulch, ReptiBark...) I'm not a fan of EcoEarth from previous experiences, which is why I held out on Reptile Prime for so long. But IMO it's sooo much better than EcoEarth!

Pros:
    - Retains humidity like a boss, and it's MUCH easier to control the initial level of humidity than, say, Reptichip. Watching this stuff absorb water was like magic. I poured quite a bit in but the substrate barely felt wet.
    - Virtually dust-free. I had some debris on my fingers, but barely any, even when I was mixing water in with my hand. Like I said, magic!
    - A little goes a long way, which helps mitigate one of the cons (it's a bit pricey).
    - Looks nice and the snakes seem happy
    - Easy to spot clean
    - Bag vs. brick form. Not having to spend 30+ minutes of my life expanding a brick or storing a ton of extra is 👍

Cons:
    - Minor, but it does get in the water dish fairly easily
    - More expensive than other substrates at $20/bag on Amazon. A small amount does go a pretty long way, but it's also easy to put too much in without realizing, probably because of the consistency.

Unforseen Complication:
    I have no idea where Memphis is, other than somewhere in her tank. 🤣 To say she enjoys burrowing in this stuff is an understatement. I know Dumeril's like to burrow, and she occasionally did while on Reptichip/cypress mulch, but not like this. There is nary even her head to be seen. Makes cage maintenance, feeding, etc. a bit more exciting lol (although she does usually pop her head up at feeding time).
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WhompingWillow For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-29-2018),Dianne (12-28-2018),Godzilla78 (12-28-2018),RoyalPieds (12-31-2018),Shayne (12-28-2018)

Thanks

Re: Some thoughts on Reptile Prime

Quote Originally Posted by WhompingWillow View Post
    !!!

Why didn't I try this stuff sooner?

Now that we have officially been mite-free for more than a month (knock on wood), I decided to give most everyone their substrate back. I decided to try Reptile Prime since I've basically tried everything else on the market (Reptichip, aspen for the corn, paper towels, cypress mulch, ReptiBark...) I'm not a fan of EcoEarth from previous experiences, which is why I held out on Reptile Prime for so long. But IMO it's sooo much better than EcoEarth!

Pros:
    - Retains humidity like a boss, and it's MUCH easier to control the initial level of humidity than, say, Reptichip. Watching this stuff absorb water was like magic. I poured quite a bit in but the substrate barely felt wet.
    - Virtually dust-free. I had some debris on my fingers, but barely any, even when I was mixing water in with my hand. Like I said, magic!
    - A little goes a long way, which helps mitigate one of the cons (it's a bit pricey).
    - Looks nice and the snakes seem happy
    - Easy to spot clean
    - Bag vs. brick form. Not having to spend 30+ minutes of my life expanding a brick or storing a ton of extra is 👍

Cons:
    - Minor, but it does get in the water dish fairly easily
    - More expensive than other substrates at $20/bag on Amazon. A small amount does go a pretty long way, but it's also easy to put too much in without realizing, probably because of the consistency.

Unforseen Complication:
    I have no idea where Memphis is, other than somewhere in her tank. 🤣 To say she enjoys burrowing in this stuff is an understatement. I know Dumeril's like to burrow, and she occasionally did while on Reptichip/cypress mulch, but not like this. There is nary even her head to be seen. Makes cage maintenance, feeding, etc. a bit more exciting lol (although she does usually pop her head up at feeding time).

That is funny. I've had this substrate on the top of my list for awhile.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    Thanks for the comprehensive review. You’ve about sold me to switch from eco earth.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

WhompingWillow (12-28-2018)

Thanks
    Did talk with Lori at BHB and said they would do a quantity discount but had to ask Brian. Have not heard back.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

I gave reptile prime a try after being unimpressed with eco earth for the reasons stated above and seriously underwhelmed by reptichip (it did NOT hold humidity for me at all.. worse than aspen, even after soaking it) and the reptile prime is AWESOME.

Definitely a bit pricey, but it also does such a good job absorbing pee that there is actually less you have to scoop out compared to eco earth. Means it spot cleans easier and less needs to be topped up between major cleanings.

If you've never tried it, it is definitely worth a try at some point, even if you don't think you'll switch. And if anyone who uses paper has humidity issues in winter. Tossing some in on top of the paper gives a similar sort of moisture retaining addition as moss. (And even holds the water better/longer than the sphagnum moss I've used)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

ballpythonsrock2 (02-06-2019),Godzilla78 (12-28-2018),viper69 (02-24-2019),WhompingWillow (12-28-2018)

Thanks
    Nice video on here.

https://reptileprime.com/

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MR Snakes For This Useful Post:

ballpythonsrock2 (02-06-2019),Bogertophis (12-29-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

After your review and watching the video, I’m going to try this for boosting the humidity in my cages. I won’t be replacing my substrate, but creating a modified humid hide with it...essentially open tubs with a well soaked layer of this. I’ll let you know how it works.
    Other Snakes:
    Hudson 1988 1.0 Colombian rainbow; Yang 2002 1.0 Corn snake; Merlin 2000 1.0 Solomon Island ground boa; Kett 2015 1.0 Diamond Jungle Jaguar carpet python; Dakota 2014 0.0.1 Children’s python

Ball pythons:
    Eli 1990 1.0 Normal; Buttercup 2015 1.0 Albino; Artemis 2015 0.1 Dragonfly; Orion 2015 1.0 Banana Pinstripe; Button 2018 1.0 Blue Eyed Lucy; Piper 2018 0.1 Piebald; Belle 2018 0.1 Lemonblast; Sabrina 2017 0.1 Mojave; Selene 2017 0.1 Banana Mojave; Loki 2018 1.0 Pastel Mystic Potion; Cuervo 2018 1.0 Banana Piebald; Claude 2017 1.0 Albino Pastel Spider; Penelope 2016 0.1 Lesser

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-29-2018),WhompingWillow (12-28-2018)

Thanks

Yep, this is what I initially started with when I set everything up about 6 weeks ago. Love this stuff! It's done very well with holding humidity in my "glass box" once I struggled through all the "n00b" obstacles.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pretends2bnormal View Post
    I gave reptile prime a try after being unimpressed with eco earth for the reasons stated above and seriously underwhelmed by reptichip (it did NOT hold humidity for me at all.. worse than aspen, even after soaking it) and the reptile prime is AWESOME.

Definitely a bit pricey, but it also does such a good job absorbing pee that there is actually less you have to scoop out compared to eco earth. Means it spot cleans easier and less needs to be topped up between major cleanings.

If you've never tried it, it is definitely worth a try at some point, even if you don't think you'll switch. And if anyone who uses paper has humidity issues in winter. Tossing some in on top of the paper gives a similar sort of moisture retaining addition as moss. (And even holds the water better/longer than the sphagnum moss I've used)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I like the suggestion about using it on top of paper substrate. I honestly don't mind paper towels apart from the humidity challenges and needing to fully change them out when soiled.

Sent from my H3123 using Tapatalk
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    After your review and watching the video, I’m going to try this for boosting the humidity in my cages. I won’t be replacing my substrate, but creating a modified humid hide with it...essentially open tubs with a well soaked layer of this. I’ll let you know how it works.
    Pleas do! I don't use humid hides but I imagine this would work well for it.

Sent from my H3123 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast