Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,983

6 members and 2,977 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

i need help with leopard gecko setup

hello. i recently decided to purchase a leopard gecko, and was wondering if anyone could give me their two cents on the tank setup, and supplies needed. thank you!!!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: i need help with leopard gecko setup

Assuming you are buying a young adult (most common) and a male (most common), a minimum of 20 gallon LONG (about 29 inch long I think?) tank will work. I would not start with anything less unless it is a baby. Do not cohab more than 1 male gecko. Do not cohab a male and female if you have no plans to breed. If you want more than 1 female, a 20 gallon long may not be enough space.

3 hides preferred : 1 on hot side, 1 humid hide on the hot side or half way on the hot side, and 1 on the cold side.

Heat mat plus thermostat. Temps about 88-90 F on the hot side. 77-80 F cold.

No loose substrate. Use tile and papertowels. Reptile carpet is fine but annoying to clean.

Live insects only. Gutload the day before feeding. Dust with calcium plus D3 when feeding. You may leave a dish of calcium without D3 for it to lick when it wants to. The number of feeding depends on age and health.

I may have missed a few things so please do your own research before getting ANY pet. Leopard geckos have very long lifespan... Don't be surprised if yours will be around 20 years from now when well cared for.
    Last edited by Cheesenugget; 12-29-2018 at 12:07 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Coyote peterson (12-29-2018),dakski (12-29-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^^

This, although I keep my humid hide on the cool side.

If you live in a cooler climate, you will probably need a CHE and a UTH - both need to thermostat controlled.

I feed Dubai Roaches and Mealworms as staples with occasional super worms (when adults) and phoenix worms. Very occasionally, I give Gecko Crack, or wax worms.

I dust all food with calcium, (I feed every 2 days as adults) and every other feeding with vitamin powder (reptile specific) as well.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Coyote peterson (12-29-2018)

Thanks
    thanks!! the terrarium i'm using has a floor space of 12x24", and have a heat pad thats really snug up against the (plastic) corners. it takes up exactly one third of the floor space. is that okay??? or do i need to get the next size down??? i'm getting 1000 crickets so i am good as far as feeding (my mom doesn't want roaches in the house). thanks again!!!
    Last edited by Coyote peterson; 12-29-2018 at 05:38 PM.

Thanks

LGs are pretty easy care and so cute.
    Years ago I bred them for a short time. I miss hearing the little babies make their screaming noises

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote peterson View Post
    thanks!! the terrarium i'm using has a floor space of 12x24", and have a heat pad thats really snug up against the (plastic) corners. it takes up exactly one third of the floor space. is that okay??? or do i need to get the next size down??? i'm getting 1000 crickets so i am good as far as feeding (my mom doesn't want roaches in the house). thanks again!!!
    Weird. Roaches make no noise, don't breed at room temp and house humidity, and don't smell or bite. Crickets will breed, and will do so if they escape, make a lot of noise, smell, etc. However, they do not bite. So that's a plus. They are also not as nutritious.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote peterson View Post
    That cage size will do temperorary but it sounds like long term, it may be too small, as the hides and water bowl would immediately take up most of the floor space, hence I recommend starting with a 20 gallon long (29 inch).

The heat mat is fine. Make sure it is plugged to a thermostat.

Not all Leos will eat crickets. Some take them well, others won't. Mine do not like them and I could not get him to change his mind. I would start small and a variety to see what it will accept before taking in 1000 crickets. I feed mine primarily mealworms plus butterworms, small roaches, black soldier fly larvae, waxworms and small hornworms. Again, try a variety and see what works and then order in bulk to save yourself the money and aggravation.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Coyote peterson (01-09-2019)

Thanks

Thumbs up

I checked with the LG dealer and he feeds them crickets and mealworms. No problem there.

Thanks
    OK this is the terrarium I was planning to use. I am heating it with a UTH plugged into a thermostat. It’s my largest one (I only have two and one is MUCH too small). I got it for $15 at Salvation Army, hence the sticker.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    No photo attached. Try posting it from Tapatalk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast