Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,867

2 members and 2,865 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Mexican Black Kingsnakes?

So, it's going to be a few months before I get get this beautiful snake, so I'm in my research period, can you guys answer a few questions about the Mexican Black Kingsnake for me?

1. Enclosure size?
    2. Temps/humidity?
    3. Food:aside from the odvious rodents, I read somewhere they can eat eggs?
    4. Do they climb?
    5. Do they borrow? And best substrate other than aspen that is best for them (I dont like aspen, it's too dusty and dries too fast for my region to keep humidity)
    6. I ready they can sometimes try to eat *themselves* idk if that's believable but if it is please lmk.

Most of these questions I pretty much already know from research, but I'd still like to compare your guys' knowledge and experience vs my research.

Also, if there is any additional info I didnt ask above and would like to share, please do. Thank you in advance.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    There is a link to all of these questions under colubrids.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

Thanks

Re: Mexican Black Kingsnakes?

*edit* I plan on turning all my terrariums to bioactive vivariums, so no bare minimum enclosure ideas. I need extensive setup info to create a little piece of earth inside of the enclosure, eg: if they like to climb alot I need to know so I can make sure there are plenty of branches. Or if they like so swim, I can make a little pond area. Ect.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Short answer as it's well past midnight here ..

Fabulous critters .. I kept mine on a shallow covering of Beech chips / chippings as they enhance the black colour .

Fabulous appetite .. very fast as youngsters , very inquisitive.

They eat other snakes so don't handle any other snakes ( or pets) before handling the MKB ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

MR Snakes (12-28-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kenzieburgess View Post
    So, it's going to be a few months before I get get this beautiful snake, so I'm in my research period, can you guys answer a few questions about the Mexican Black Kingsnake for me?

1. Enclosure size?
    2. Temps/humidity?
    3. Food:aside from the odvious rodents, I read somewhere they can eat eggs?
    4. Do they climb?
    5. Do they borrow? And best substrate other than aspen that is best for them (I dont like aspen, it's too dusty and dries too fast for my region to keep humidity)
    6. I ready they can sometimes try to eat *themselves* idk if that's believable but if it is please lmk.

Most of these questions I pretty much already know from research, but I'd still like to compare your guys' knowledge and experience vs my research.

Also, if there is any additional info I didnt ask above and would like to share, please do. Thank you in advance.

Can't speak for bio-active; when I kept MBKs, they were in 40 gal. tanks. Not big climbers, not tenacious burrowers either but they are essentially terrestrial, &
    not really swimmers either. Eat f/t rodents with enthusiasm, they are not "egg-eating snakes" per se, but probably would if they fit. Egg eaters have a way to
    break the shells, while king snakes do not: I don't think swallowing sharp shells would be good for their gut, but leathery reptile eggs would likely be ok & taken.
    These are very adaptable snakes & excellent pets. The only snake I've personally SEEN trying to eat her own tail was an older albino Cal-king... I've never
    used (or liked) aspen: most of my snakes (colubrids) have a single layer of paper towels, then a mix of Carefresh & my own clean shredded paper for substrate.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (12-28-2018),fadingdaylight (03-26-2019),MR Snakes (12-28-2018)