Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,601

1 members and 1,600 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,529
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero

Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 531 Posts

Snake room design and build

The Friday before Christmas I closed on a little 6 acre farm. So I will be moving from Baltimore, Maryland to just north of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. In the basement is a room that is 30'x14'. The room is currently concrete floors, block walls, open ceiling joist, with a fire place. The plan is to turn this space into my snake room. I'm starting with designing and collecting materials for now. The actual build will happen in a few months or early spring.

So far I'm planning on studding out the walls, insulation and drywall. Ample electrical outlets and lighting. Some lights in the room may also get put on a timer since the windows are small and let in limited amounts of light. The flooring will probably be snap together laminate planks. The ceiling I haven't decided if I want to do a hard ceiling or drop tiles. There is a utility sink just outside of the room to aid in cleaning and water changes. Considering the size of the space I will probably use 2 oil filled radiator style heaters to keep ambient temps up. I plan to make the room as snake escape proof as possible. I'm also going to have cctv cameras in there incase on does escape from their tank I can just play back the footage to see where they went and to protect from possible theft. I've thought about adding some type of fire suppression system but still need to research a lot more to find a animal safe option.

I'm open to suggestions, comments or questions ya'll may have about the build. This room will mostly have my corns, kings, and carpets. The retics, atb, bci, and balls will probably all be in another room.

Silent Hill Reptiles and Rodents
    https://www.silenthillreptiles.com/

1.4 Carpet pythons
    15.21 Corn snakes
    1.1 of SD reticulated pythons, cali kings,black house snakes,trans-pecos,northern pines
    1.2 Japanese rat, 1.3 natrix n. natrix
    6.1 Balls, 1.0 orange Halloween ATB, 1.0 bci

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 67temp For This Useful Post:

Bluedevil0584 (01-09-2019),CALM Pythons (12-28-2018),MR Snakes (12-27-2018),the_rotten1 (06-18-2019)