Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,969

0 members and 2,969 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Doesn't Want To Eat...

Quote Originally Posted by Reinz View Post
    Carpets can surprise you with how large a prey that they can take. I’m not saying to throw caution to the wind on Carpets, but it’s ok to experiment within reason. If the prey item IS TOO big then she will regurgitate it. Not good, but not devastating either. All 3 of my Coastals are 8 footers and take XL/Jumbo rats.

My Jungles are 7 or more feet long and take large rats. However my female is a bit like Xena. She still begs for hours after her meal. And basically stays in hunting mode until her next meal 3.5-4 weeks later. I am seriously considering moving her up to an XL/Jumbo to calm her down.

Just some food for thought. Remember, everything is is not engraved in stone. Guidelines are just guidelines, not hard fast rules.
    You have some very beautiful snake's
    Thank you for your advice and sharing your experiences! It's helped out a lot and definitely put it all into perspective for me! I think I forget how robust snake's can be! It took me all my time to start feeding Xena the large rats as I was so worried about the size comparison of her tiny head to the big rat (she hasn't got the bulky carpet head of an adult yet!)
    I'll stop worrying so much now and won't offer food for another 3-4 weeks and see how she goes!

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FlowerKez For This Useful Post:

Reinz (12-24-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Thank you.

When my Carpets get finicky like this, I offer food to them only if I Know that another snake is available that will not turn down a meal. Otherwise I skip a feeding cycle.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

Thanks

I clearly need mote snake's! 😂 Xena is my go to snake when the BP refuses!
    I feel a noodle Christmas gift coming my way 😍

Thanks
    Thanked 5,487 Times in 2,686 Posts

Hey Kez, I remember when you 1st got Xena. She looks great. I got into carpets around the same time. I agree with Reinz, a few missed feedings is no big deal. I also agree that a large rat every 5-7 days is too much food for a carpet that age and size. If she's striking the glass and trashing her enclosure I'd double check her temps. You can also offer larger meals but I'd still space them out a little more. My adult carpets eat every 2-3 weeks during the warmer months and every 4-6 weeks during winter. They definitely could eat more often but there's no need. My animals are pretty much the same size as yours as Reinz's. 6-7 ft long and roughly 3kg.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

6. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

FlowerKez (12-30-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    Hey Kez, I remember when you 1st got Xena. She looks great. I got into carpets around the same time. I agree with Reinz, a few missed feedings is no big deal. I also agree that a large rat every 5-7 days is too much food for a carpet that age and size. If she's striking the glass and trashing her enclosure I'd double check her temps. You can also offer larger meals but I'd still space them out a little more. My adult carpets eat every 2-3 weeks during the warmer months and every 4-6 weeks during winter. They definitely could eat more often but there's no need. My animals are pretty much the same size as yours as Reinz's. 6-7 ft long and roughly 3kg.
    Thanks Ziggy I'm pretty proud of her! I've got the itch for another one and as we've just got our own home and are settled it's just a matter of deciding what to get! I felt the feeding was too much but her breeder recommended bulking her up for winter? I guess I just need to read her behaviour and follow your guys advice as keepers but not breeders 👍 the more I think about it her activity isn't feeding activity! She's calm and relaxed on her perches by day and exploring/cruising/trashing by night so I guess she's probably just looking for a male!
    I've double checked her temps and they're no different to how I usually have them, what kind of temps do you have yours at in summer/winter?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Your probes really oughta be on the outside of the enclosure...
    That would depend on what the probe is regulating. For a uth, yes the probe should be outside against the uth, preferably between the uth and cage bottom. For rhp or che, the probe should be inside the enclosure under the hot spot.
    Other Snakes:
    Hudson 1988 1.0 Colombian rainbow; Yang 2002 1.0 Corn snake; Merlin 2000 1.0 Solomon Island ground boa; Kett 2015 1.0 Diamond Jungle Jaguar carpet python; Dakota 2014 0.0.1 Children’s python

Ball pythons:
    Eli 1990 1.0 Normal; Buttercup 2015 1.0 Albino; Artemis 2015 0.1 Dragonfly; Orion 2015 1.0 Banana Pinstripe; Button 2018 1.0 Blue Eyed Lucy; Piper 2018 0.1 Piebald; Belle 2018 0.1 Lemonblast; Sabrina 2017 0.1 Mojave; Selene 2017 0.1 Banana Mojave; Loki 2018 1.0 Pastel Mystic Potion; Cuervo 2018 1.0 Banana Piebald; Claude 2017 1.0 Albino Pastel Spider; Penelope 2016 0.1 Lesser

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (12-30-2018)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12